prince paul's hip hop gold dust

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
so godamn phucking solid.i'm in love with the de la track..man just the whole album...well i guess its a compilation of unreleased, not an album, but so many times when u hear unreleased sheit by so many artists, once u hear it, u figure there was a reason it was unreleased. this sheit is so tight. i really hope dude knows he still has an audience and doesnt retire and kicks some more solos.

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts

so godamn phucking solid.

i'm in love with the de la track.

you mean this one?

From what I remember reading when this came out, that song was made as a joke.

They were going to submit an entire fake album to Tommy Boy but ended up scrapping the idea after a few songs.

That was one of them. Listen to the words, it's all gibberish (more so than usual) and the beat is just a one bar loop.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    ya that one, thanks for the background info, thats really interesting. yeah its very simple, but so raw...the real audio doesnt do it justice though

• Listen to the words, it's all gibberish (more so than usual) and the beat is just a one bar loop.

And gibberish never sells...

• anything is better than that horrid shit he does with that retard dan the automator.

if you ask me i think that automator dude is a little light in the loafers...

not that there is anything wrong with that.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Listen to the words, it's all gibberish (more so than usual) and the beat is just a one bar loop.

Just the other day I got a starter kit

(An M is a terrible thing to waste)

Caught the face from the backs of the border of the mindstate

I play control to a fraud

(Nah it ain't happenin')

Nada to make it even

Robbin' and theivin' is one who infiltrates with a Colgate frown

Y'all remember my nasal for I sniff frequencies

(Well, it started in the year of '78)

But it's '93 or should I say '94 for my style is much more

(I said, "Come in")

Come in

(Come on)

Come out into my reservoir

As I macks a men your bastard style has just been stuck

By a sticker with a 'frigerator lickin'

What if... how's about why would

Never thought that the napalm would bust the jeans

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Listen to the words, it's all gibberish (more so than usual) and the beat is just a one bar loop.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

(Nah it ain't happenin')
    Nada to make it even
    (I said, "Come in")
    Come in
    (Come on)

but i still love that song.

here's part of what i wrote in solesides comments:
    O - touching on a point you made in your post about de la's lyrics... specifically, that "my mindstate" was "filled with literal nonsense, i.e. random rhymes thrown together but no actual coherent thought" - i always thought that this was part of de la's style. especially in their first and third albums. i'm reminded of one of their skits: "what are they saying?" (which, funnily enuf, i think comes from '... is dead.') anyway, i believe that a lot of their rhymes are supposed to be like nonsensical lovely-sounding poetry. kind of like the beatles in their later days. this would make sense as a response to the repetitive topics of rap - you really can't say anything new, so why not just use your voice as another instrument. one that conveys "vibes" more than meaning.

here's what i'm saying: i think the content, the meaning of rap lyrics are not that important, they only contribute to less than 1/4 of what gives them quality or makes them garbage. it's the flow and how they put those lyrics together that reall matters.
    peas

• Listen to the words, it's all gibberish (more so than usual) and the beat is just a one bar loop.

(Nah it ain't happenin')
    Nada to make it even
    (I said, "Come in")
    Come in
    (Come on)

O - touching on a point you made in your post about de la's lyrics... specifically, that "my mindstate" was "filled with literal nonsense, i.e. random rhymes thrown together but no actual coherent thought" - i always thought that this was part of de la's style. especially in their first and third albums. i'm reminded of one of their skits: "what are they saying?" (which, funnily enuf, i think comes from '... is dead.') anyway, i believe that a lot of their rhymes are supposed to be like nonsensical lovely-sounding poetry. kind of like the beatles in their later days. this would make sense as a response to the repetitive topics of rap - you really can't say anything new, so why not just use your voice as another instrument. one that conveys "vibes" more than meaning.

here's what i'm saying: i think the content, the meaning of rap lyrics are not that important, they only contribute to less than 1/4 of what gives them quality or makes them garbage. it's the flow and how they put those lyrics together that reall matters.
    peas

I think you are right.

That's very well put... Nothing wrong with beautiful nonsense.

Pull my daisy
    tip my cup
    all my doors are open
    Cut my thoughts
    for coconuts
    all my eggs are broken
    Jack my Arden
    gate my shades
    woe my road is spoken
    Silk my garden
    rose my days
    now my prayers awaken

• awallawall 673 Posts

(Nah it ain't happenin')

Nada to make it even

(I said, "Come in")

Come in

(Come on)

peas

yes, but there is a difference between free association and lyrics with no meaning whatsoever. lyrics that contain small shards of thought that are un-connected to each other (with no real over-arching meaning connecting them) are not the same as lyrics where each line or word means nothing. one line may mean something and the next line something else, totally unrelated to each other, but those lines individually have their own importance within themselves. they also can be ascribed meaning (as a whole or individually) if you choose to taken them a certain way or interpret them the way you choose.

i think that style certainly has more bearing for an MC that actual content, but i don't really agree with a ratio like 1/4th. lyrics are important too...but i do enjoy jibberish.

ghostface. nuff said.

now lets get back to talking about the prince paul joint...

ghostface. nuff said.

now lets get back to talking about the prince paul joint...

we are talking about the prince paul joint

btw, i like that la symphony trak

yes, but there is a difference between free association and lyrics with no meaning whatsoever. lyrics that contain small shards of thought that are un-connected to each other (with no real over-arching meaning connecting them) are not the same as lyrics where each line or word means nothing. one line may mean something and the next line something else, totally unrelated to each other, but those lines individually have their own importance within themselves. they also can be ascribed meaning (as a whole or individually) if you choose to taken them a certain way or interpret them the way you choose.

i think that style certainly has more bearing for an MC that actual content, but i don't really agree with a ratio like 1/4th. lyrics are important too...but i do enjoy jibberish.

i think that de la soul picked up on the inherent near-meaningless in typical rap (and other musical genres) lyrics - no one's saying nothing new - and took it to that next level of free association that you're talking about.
    yeah, this one masta ace line makes sense. the next one makes sense, too. whatever. that shit doesn't matter. dude is making poetry just the way he puts words together, and only a little bit of the beauty comes from the 'concept' or 'content' that he espousing.
    so, a lot of time, de la forgets about the content and just delivers pretty sounding words, well-flowing verbal rhythms.
    plus, that guy paul supplied decent beats for them to gab over.

thats actually my favorite track right now on it...well that and "Top of the Hill"... the track "real man" makes me think prince paul should really hook up with r&b type'ish chicks, i think he could put a good twist on that.