MIA the next big thing? No.

Comments

• oh wait

• If you want a Holy Grail, then someone like Kanye West is much closer to that because 1) his records sell and 2) he has a penchant for saying shit in public that people like to write about.

also Kanye has had a string of big, catchy songs over the course of several years.

I predict that MIA, no matter how hard she or her producers or record execs try in the future, will NEVER again have a song as big and broadly appealing to a wider non-MIA-fan audience as "Paper Planes." she's not some sort of hit-maker like Kanye who can be counted on to have 2-3 big singles off every album. "Paper Planes" was unique (not "unique" as in "uniquely good" but as in "uniquely appealing to a wide audience").

if you think "most people" have never heard of her today, trust even fewer will have heard of her/give a shit once that song finally exits regular rotation.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    if you think "most people" have never heard of her today, trust even fewer will have heard of her/give a shit once that song finally exits regular rotation.

Requesting a ghost bump of this thread in 2011.

• if you think "most people" have never heard of her today, trust even fewer will have heard of her/give a shit once that song finally exits regular rotation.

I don't doubt that she will remain successful in the UK for years to come. but I don't expect that she will ever again have a worldwide smash hit the likes of "Paper Planes."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Well, who knows? Most "hit" songs are rarely guaranteed, even from artists who have been consistent with them. At some point, Kanye's going to have a string of flops (happens to the best of 'em) but it's hard to predict when that might go down. Likewise, it's entirely possible MIA could end up with another hit on her hands for reasons that are totally unpredictable.

That's the beauty of pop music.

• paper planes was great production and a catchy hook and a pretty face.
    doesnt seem too far fetched to think she can add those up again and will have another big hit, now that she had one.

She knows what's up, and I think she'll come harder and bigger on the next record.

In all honesty, I thought "Jimmy" had pop-crossover smash written all over it, and I was a little surprised it was "Paper Planes" and not that which was her first big hit.

• She knows what's up, and I think she'll come harder and bigger on the next record.

In all honesty, I thought "Jimmy" had pop-crossover smash written all over it, and I was a little surprised it was "Paper Planes" and not that which was her first big hit.

UM NO. Get familiar with complete and total bitin'....JIMMY:

Dude, I been knowin' about that - I helped clear the sample. Bappi Lahiri got a big chunk of that shit, trust me.

I take your point, though.

b/w

Is bitin' still bitin' if you clear that shit at a premium?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    paper planes was great production and a catchy hook and a pretty face.
    doesnt seem too far fetched to think she can add those up again and will have another big hit, now that she had one.
    'great production'?? its just a clash loop, and i like the clash song more in the first place

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So she's NOT the next big thang?

Jury's still out.

Jury's still out.

Hasnt it been like 5 years?

She had mad heat on her a minute ago, and I dont hear nuffin about her like i did back then.

Jury's still out.

She had mad heat on her a minute ago, and I dont hear nuffin about her like i did back then.

That's when she debuted but she's been caking off "Paper Planes" this year and "Kala" took her hype to a new level last year.

But seriously, prognostication is a fool's errand. Who among you here would have guessed, in 2001, that Lil Wayne and Kanye West would be two of the most important and popular pop artists of the decade?

Maybe MIA disappears tomorrow. Maybe she becomes the next Madonna. Who knows? Wait for the 2012 ghost bump.

paper planes was great production and a catchy hook and a pretty face.
    'great production'?? its just a clash loop, and i like the clash song more in the first place

^^^Rides for Tom Scott's "Today."

Jury's still out.

That's when she debuted but she's been caking off "Paper Planes" this year and "Kala" took her hype to a new level last year.

But seriously, prognostication is a fool's errand. Who among you here would have guessed, in 2001, that Lil Wayne and Kanye West would be two of the most important and popular pop artists of the decade?

Maybe MIA disappears tomorrow. Maybe she becomes the next Madonna. Who knows? Wait for the 2012 ghost bump.

how long has amy winehouse been out?

OUt of what? Rehab? Court? Jail?

Jury's still out.

how long has amy winehouse been out?

"Frank" dropped in '03. It did pretty well over here. I recall a minor underground buzz of sorts in the US, but it didn't really set the world on fire the way "Back To Black" did.

• paper planes was great production and a catchy hook and a pretty face.

just a clash loop that no one else used in the last twenty years of hiphop. i could care less for chopped this or screwed that...the sample is sick and catches everyones ears...in my eyes thats well on its way to production=good.
    anyway,no one really asked you what you liked more. what would deej take away or add to make the production great?? yawn

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    the only other place i heard that loop used was on a crappy deee-lite album back in 00'.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    get that money brownie! you gotta eat...for two!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    its an awesome track to sample but its not like u dudes go around talking about what a hot production job "i love the dough" is

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i think u dudes are just mad you were still scouring funk breaks for samples when diplo had the 'novel' idea to sample a non-deep cut

i think u dudes are just mad you were still scouring funk breaks for samples when diplo had the 'novel' idea to sample a non-deep cut

What fight are you trying to pick again?

Anyways, big up The Clash. The OG is sick, I'll agree with that much.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    im just kinda bored and cant decide if i should go to the bar -- so to answer yr question anyone who wants to

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    VINDICATED

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    ???consistently the worst???

DocMcCoy said:

It's a few months late with the ghost bump, but I'm claiming this. The rest of you can take it to the adjudicator.

Her new song is OK, although her last album pretty much blew. She's little more than set decoration on the Madonna record.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    LAME. This schtick of trying to draw publicity by doing something like giving people the middle finger is boring & uninspired.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Wow @ dudes being mad and reverting to denial mode. Talmbout she's just a fly on the windshield...maybe, but she's a fly on the windshield that's flipping you off, ha ha.