Teriyaki Boyz - Beef Or Chicken

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
What is the deal on this record? Anyone heard it? I just got my hands on it and it is just weirding me out. A+ List of producers (shadow, neptunes, just blaze, premiere!) and then the bonus track chopped and screwed by Michael Watts!?!?!?I think I remember hearing something that Nigo of Bape had something to do with these guys? Either way that producer list is bonkers.And the cover is suprisingly fugly:

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yo, you mind uploading a track or two? I'd be curious to hear some of this, especially since Jay-Z just signed 'em.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Are they rappin' in Japanese or English? I heard that the lyrics were going to be in Japanese. I really don't see anyone in the states checkin' for this if it is all in Japanese.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Are they rappin' in Japanese or English? I heard that the lyrics were going to be in Japanese. I really don't see anyone in the states checkin' for this if it is all in Japanese.

Japanese.

I listened to it a while ago when I first started Japanese 101, all I could understand was "watashi"

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Yo, you mind uploading a track or two? I'd be curious to hear some of this, especially since Jay-Z just signed 'em.

Teriyaki Boyz - L.A.R.G.E. (Featuring Pharrell) - Produced By The Neptunes

Teriyaki Boyz - You Know What Time Is It! - Produced By DJ Premier

Teriyaki Boyz - Kamikaze 108 - Produced By DJ Shadow

(other producers on the album include ADROCK, mark ronson, cut chemist and daft punk)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    You know what time it is (Primo)

Baggy Pants (Just Blaze)

There is also alch and ronson on prod and a track wit the beasties i think
    The shadow track could be on the blog sphere

spinemagazine.com always has summin interesting

Yeah, I peeped those Spine Magazine tracks after posting here and...

I know it's a language thing but hip-hop in japanese just never sounds really fresh to me. Someone explained to me that a lot of it has to do with the rhythm of spoken Japanese - each syllable is accented the same so there's not as much space to finesse a line and it might be one reason japanese hip-hop always sounds a bit too stilted to me.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

I know it's a language thing but hip-hop in japanese just never sounds really fresh to me. Someone explained to me that a lot of it has to do with the rhythm of spoken Japanese - each syllable is accented the same so there's not as much space to finesse a line and it might be one reason japanese hip-hop always sounds a bit too stilted to me.

yeah after listening through the entire album I can honestly say I was bored by the end. despite the top notch producers, even the beats seemed snoozeable in a lot of areas, and the language barrier made it hard to follow the songs. this may not fly that well in the US, but any thoughts on its potential internationally?

yeah after listening though the entire album I can honestly say I was bored by the end. despite the top notch producers, even the beats seemed snoozeable in a lot of areas, and the language barrier made it hard to follow through the songs. this may not fly that well in the US, but any thoughts on its potential internationally?

Well, I don't see this blowing up anywhere besides Japan. I don't see French heads about to put this in rotation, ym?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    suprisingly fugly:

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

yeah after listening though the entire album I can honestly say I was bored by the end. despite the top notch producers, even the beats seemed snoozeable in a lot of areas, and the language barrier made it hard to follow through the songs. this may not fly that well in the US, but any thoughts on its potential internationally?

Well, I don't see this blowing up anywhere besides Japan. I don't see French heads about to put this in rotation, ym?

yeah i feel that, i was just thinking maybe name dropping like premier and shadow would boost sales overseas, as people here in the states could care less.

• Too bad that premo beat sucks.. Im a big fan of him and I hate him for releasing crappy beats. That guy dont have any quality control at all. He did many of hiphops greatest beats, but some are totally crap. I think alot of the average MCs are just using his beats because its DJ PREMIER, and premo dont care because he is just happy to get paid. Therefore, I think he also should give his killer beats to average mcs, and not sit on the gold and wait until Nas, Jay-Z, MOP, and Jada shows up..

There have been years since they all used a premo beat...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

yeah i feel that, i was just thinking maybe name dropping like premier and shadow would boost sales overseas, as people here in the states could care less.
    Its crazy to see how japanese's apreciation of undergound hiphop is way more intense

The stones throw 101 dvd in Japanese HMV was a huge deal
    and look

Never would you see that in america

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Too bad that premo beat sucks.. Im a big fan of him and I hate him for releasing crappy beats. That guy dont have any quality control at all. He did many of hiphops greatest beats, but some are totally crap. I think alot of the average MCs are just using his beats because its DJ PREMIER, and premo dont care because he is just happy to get paid. Therefore, I think he also should give his killer beats to average mcs, and not sit on the gold and wait until Nas, Jay-Z, MOP, and Jada shows up..

There have been years since they all used a premo beat...

I feel you premo was the first producer i considered god. Some of his new stuff ca be

His producing a christina aguillera track

• Too bad that premo beat sucks..

You really think? To my ears it's fire!

• OMG thats a wack beat..nothing that moves me at all. Its kool that he have used a drum break. Please, this have to be one of premiers most boring beats ever. No melody, boring samples, same old chopping..damn premier can do better!

And Xtina...oh that sucks! thats for poor old premier

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i wanna hear the cut chemist track, can someone upload it?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

ill PM you a link when i get home if no one beats me to it. honestly, its one of the more stand out beats on the album.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    OMG thats a wack beat..nothing that moves me at all. Its kool that he have used a drum break. Please, this have to be one of premiers most boring beats ever. No melody, boring samples, same old chopping..damn premier can do better!

And Xtina...oh that sucks! thats for poor old premier

Yeah heard that on a radio interview and he was sayin "its going to be hot" the game has gotten weak

• dayday 9,611 Posts

His producing a christina aguillera track

Why? I'll never understand why people trip on shit like this.

Premier beats on the radio is a bad thing?

And one other thing, that Just Blaze...um...BEAT? Wow man, I guess shit gets easy when you're that large. "Here yo, here's a 1 bar drum loop I made. That'll be $10,000 please."

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations for this album. Especially since Jay Z signed hte project, but the main concern is probably sales w/i Japan. That will do well no question, as Rip Slyme and m-flo consistently do great #'s in their home country. Keep in mind these dudes are not really doing hiphop for the american market, so their vocal sensibilities have their own style which appeals to Japan.

I am a big fan of m-flo btw, but looking at it from a soulstrutter's p.o.v., I wouldn't be surprised if everybody though it was lame.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Rip Slyme

I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations for this album. Especially since Jay Z signed hte project, but the main concern is probably sales w/i Japan. That will do well no question, as Rip Slyme and m-flo consistently do great #'s in their home country. Keep in mind these dudes are not really doing hiphop for the american market, so their vocal sensibilities have their own style which appeals to Japan.

I am a big fan of m-flo btw, but looking at it from a soulstrutter's p.o.v., I wouldn't be surprised if everybody though it was lame.

The beats were pretty cool. I think this album will do pretty (drum roll please) big in japan.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

True. Rip Slyme are HUGE in Japan. Those folls sold out Budokan 3 nights in a row! M-flo is also quite popular as well. This album will do very well in Japan where people still actually buy retail music CDs.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    if anyone's interested, here are tracks of rip slyme and m-flo from their respective catalogues. You'll get a better perspective of the terriyaki boys project after listening to these. It's pop focused, and I rikes.

verbal from m-flo is actually korean, but went to an international school in tokyo so he rhymes in engrish & japanese.

• THIS MIGHT BE MY NEW SHIT HERE!!! fuck the beats, the rapping is hysterical!!! hahaahahahah!!! this shit is staying on rotation until i can recite the lyrics at my nearest sushi joint.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

ill PM you a link when i get home if no one beats me to it. honestly, its one of the more stand out beats on the album.

thatd be great!

cut chemist got some good stuff, i like his productions alot more than dj shadow.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    And the cover is suprisingly fugly:
    That sure is some disgusting shit. But knowing that Nigo is behind it that cover probably cost 4.2 million dollars. And is exactly 18 months ahead of it's time and therefore hip.

This album, or these 5 tracks I've heard, is just as weak as I thought it'd be. (B)ape Sounds LP II. That Neptunes beat is also incredible in it's utter weak-being.

• This album will do very well in Japan where people still actually buy rent retail music CDs.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    About the only Japanese "RAP" that i could take seriously is

(excuse the english) the epitome of real shit Japanese rap. and NO, they do not use english words in their lyrics most of the time.

"99.9% of these n****s ain't shit, and most of these..."

GAAWD, I HATE THIS KINDA SHIT. This is exactly the type of bullshit music that's swarming the Japanese pop charts right about now....

• What you don't listen to Halcali?