China Needs DJs (not a joke, for real)

13»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I was supposed to DJ in Hong Kong for a New Year's gig but they cancelled after finding out I was Chinese American. They wanted a WHITE American to spin.

FUCK THAT NONSENSE.

Can a BLACK American benefit from the Asian on Asian hate in China?

• up jump the boogie to the rhythm of the broccoli beef !!!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    any idea on what the pay would be, or are we just talking room and board?

• Interesting.

Of course, given stereotypes, that's kinda like how nobody really wants a white guy for, say, a ju-jitsu instructor.

Yet that never stopped there from being like, thousands of white martial arts teachers.

But the martial arts are a mature sport (or whatever you'd like to call it) in the United States. By now, of course there will be many white instructors. Plus, there's only so many Asian martial arts instructors to go around.

I still hold firm that if you stuck an Asian martial arts instructor next to a white one and with no other information given, people would line up for the Asian one.

... maybe that??s why all those guys being taught by bruce lee look like clowns.

Talking about David Carradine, Kareem Abdul Jabar (or what was the name of the basketball player ?) even Jim Kelly looks funny in places.

Just a thought
    Seb

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I was supposed to DJ in Hong Kong for a New Year's gig but they cancelled after finding out I was Chinese American. They wanted a WHITE American to spin.

FUCK THAT NONSENSE.

most likely, yes

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

FUCK THAT NONSENSE.

Yes, though Chinese attitudes towards Black folk isn't necessarily the most - shall we say? - enlightened?

Yes, though Chinese attitudes towards Black folk isn't necessarily the most - shall we say? - enlightened?

AGREED, but only in regard to the older generations.

From what I gather, street/urban wear and "hip hop-inspired"culture/attitudes have flourished in Japan, Hong Kong, and the mainland, during the past 10 years so I think with the younger generations these attitudes are shifting, no?

I'll never understand the Asian on Asian American hatting though. Ugh.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Make a shirt that says GWAILO in simplified Chinese. You'll be surprised with the looks you get. HAHAHA.

• Yes, though Chinese attitudes towards Black folk isn't necessarily the most - shall we say? - enlightened?

From what I gather, street/urban wear and "hip hop-inspired"culture/attitudes have flourished in Japan, Hong Kong, and the mainland, during the past 10 years so I think with the younger generations these attitudes are shifting, no?

it's mad cool to be black right now over there.

yeah everybody wanna be a nigga but dont nobody wanna be a nigga.

corny mfer's

it's mad cool to be black right now over there.

corny mfer's

I hope you're proud of yourself for dissing 1/5 of the world, dude. I can understand it though if your real name is Paul Mooney or something. Saying.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Well, fetishization vs. distrust is not an ideal set of choices. I'm painting in broad strokes but not excessively.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

Asian on Asian American Hate? Next time you're in Toronto come by my spot. Shit... Philipino's take it the most from the Chinese, then the Japanese. Korean's get some love, especially now that their drama's are killin' em...lol The Philipino's really take the the most, and dish it out. It's always a damn fight when it comes to shit for some reason. They're quicker to shit on them then white/black people still. I'm a white guy BTW. I take it also, but I've learned enough Chinese to dish it out also. HAHA. When cats are trying to cuss you up and down and then you basically explain to them you understand what they're saying, they pretty much get out of the spot ASAP...lol

Anyhow, for all those who are skeptical, I'd go in a heart beat. I'm actually going there anyhow next year on some non-music related shit

• it's mad cool to be black right now over there.

corny mfer's

I hope you're proud of yourself for dissing 1/5 of the world, dude. I can understand it though if your real name is Paul Mooney or something. Saying.

indeed

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Well, fetishization vs. distrust is not an ideal set of choices. I'm painting in broad strokes but not excessively.

I've been to Hong Kong once and Japan more times than I remember (in fact going on Saturday), but I never really felt anything other than strictly ignored/anonymous in HK.

My mom just came back from Beijing a few weeks back (on the strictly tourist tip) and said that everyone treated her like fam. Are we just missing the stares and whatnot? Or are the bigger Chinese cities different?

Either way, I gotta make it to Shanghai in 2006.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I've been to Hong Kong once and Japan more times than I remember (in fact going on Saturday), but I never really felt anything other than strictly ignored/anonymous in HK.

that's basically how it is for anybody in hk, people are in such a rush to get from point a to b they ignore everything. It would be a different story though if you could help them make $$$$. It's so bad even grandmas are standing in front of the bank checking their stocks on margin.

• I'll never understand the Asian on Asian American hatting though. Ugh.

from my experience its the american-borns hating on the immigrants.

i lived in japan for a year and they loved me! at least i think they did.

• from my experience its the american-borns hating on the immigrants.

probably because they remind them of their roots and ancestry which maybe something they are trying to "wash" themselves of.

could this be the reason?

• from my experience its the american-borns hating on the immigrants.
    probably because they remind them of their roots and ancestry which maybe something they are trying to "wash" themselves of.

could this be the reason?
    bingo!

well, that's always been my theory as well.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    hi.

is this gonna turn into a race discussion 5-pager once again ?

just wondering....

• Damn,

if i wasnt still in high school id jump on dat in a heartbeat

i'm trying to get my production company started up (meeting some decent success, but being able to do some live remixes in front of fresh crowds...woo)

www.grimelab.com

pz
    grumble

• hey kennyworm! whats for dinner?

you know what i dont like? hk cafe food. its like a chinese take on american food. and its really bad. except for the milky toast thing. that's good. oh and hk style tea. that's good cafe shit too. but them pork chops and gravy gotta go. you with me?