Hip Hop Test Pressings (RR)

Comments

• How many goddamn test pressings of "crossover" by EPMD exist? Like 10 skabilliontrillionzillion?

whats up with that one for the crossover remix???

live up to the hype??

absolutely nawt. Go with the OG!

Most of these things are strictly on some completionistic (so what i made it up ) non-utilitarian stuff anyways, from what I've dragged out and listened to over the years. As you said, there are valid reasons why some were left unreleased...

• lol about the Das Efx-"Rap Scholar". I have one of those somehow..and i have seen many other copies around here over the past few years. Must be tons out there.

• I've got some random WEA stuff. Mostly R&B and nothing I would rate as exciting.

and hardy har on the "A-list DJ" thing.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    I wish I had some with unique mixes, but I am not aware of any. Some of my better ones include:

-Adventures of Grandmaster Flash... - handwritten label info (no artist or track id)
    -Soul Clap EP (x2) - just "SB456" hand written on both
    -Kaos - Courts in Session lp
    -Ed OG - I Got To Have It
    and some various 12" by Das Efx, Lords of the Underground (w/ Pete Rock remix), N-Tyce, etc.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    lol about the Das Efx-"Rap Scholar". I have one of those somehow..and i have seen many other copies around here over the past few years. Must be tons out there.

Me too. I see lots of Tommy Boy tests, mainly De La and Stetsasonic, as well.

• i`ve got the uptown - dope on plastic also.
    also got j5 - jayou.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    There's a gangstarr TP that people jones for. Has a remix or something on it.

Yes, it's this:

It's raer alright... and a good one too.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, for some reason, Tommy Boy TPs turn up a lot. I have TPs for:

De La Soul's "3 Ft. High and Rising"
    "" "": Jenifa
    "" "": Say No Go ("Baby Huey Skit" suckas)

And TPs of Pudgee's "Think Big" seemed to be in moderate supply.

• I got the Gangstarr "Code of the Streets"/"Speal Ya Clout" Specialty TP... It's got an instrumental for "Speak Ya Clout"... Did that ever get a release otherwise...?

Jus' curious...

Peace...
    FNM

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    There's a gangstarr TP that people jones for. Has a remix or something on it.

Yes, it's this:

It's raer alright... and a good one too.

The only one I have that's worth mentioning is the test press of Freshco's "4 at a Time" b/w "Are U Ready?" It's the exact same record as the full-on release, just with a hand-stamped label and the obligatory "A-List DJs Only."

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I've got a few test-press only 12"s, like the afore-mentioned De La Soul 'Say No Go' (with the 'Double Huey Skit' over the Muppets theme tune), the Pudgee 'Think Big', the Gang Starr with 'I'm The Man'...

The best one in my collection is the instrumental version of 'The Awakening' LP by Lord Finesse.

The commercial release came with a normal instrumental disk, but this one has two unreleased beats on, including one very nice one where Finesse has chopped and pieced up 'Let's Get It On' perfectly.

It never got sample clearance and never got released.

Last time Edan was in the UK, he came over and I filmed him freestyling over it.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    I got the Gangstarr "Code of the Streets"/"Speal Ya Clout" Specialty TP... It's got an instrumental for "Speak Ya Clout"... Did that ever get a release otherwise...?

I believe so. I've got test pressings for "Dwyck" and "Time's Up", but they're both the same as the regular versions.

• J Rock? Is this the early production work from Premier? What was the title of that LP again? "Streets" was in the title or something?

"Streetwize" was the name of the album.
    The guy that owned the label was a big willy here and had a minor beef with Alpo & them
    over the name "Streetwize" since they had their little rap group using the same name around the same time.

• img src="

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/djplanet/beatn.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com" alt="" />

Beatnuts Test Pressing for "Off The Books" remix from the Spot Remix EP with instrumental. Never released.

are you sure this never got released? thought i'd seen issued copies...i've got a copy myself (white label) but got to agree with whoever said that remix is garbage....

• [quote

is this the one with the unreleased instrumental?..nice find if so!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i had the Main Source-Live at the BBQ (and some other tracks if I remember correctly) test pressing but sold it on Ebay about a year or two ago. I think it went for around $100 or so.

I also sold another Main Source promo raer 12" to the same guy..but I cant remember which fucking record it was now. He was a Japanese guy putting out a book on raer rap 12"s. Anyone familiar with this guy or the book? He linked me to a site at the time he bought them but I dont have the book anymore.

you think that tp is still worth a bill? i could do without it.

• i had the Main Source-Live at the BBQ (and some other tracks if I remember correctly) test pressing but sold it on Ebay about a year or two ago. I think it went for around $100 or so.

I also sold another Main Source promo raer 12" to the same guy..but I cant remember which fucking record it was now. He was a Japanese guy putting out a book on raer rap 12"s. Anyone familiar with this guy or the book? He linked me to a site at the time he bought them but I dont have the book anymore.

you think that tp is still worth a bill? i could do without it.

no clue honestly..I never really knew the approximate value of it. I just threw it on there and waited to see what happened. Once I saw the interest(number of watchers) I knew it would finish okay. I traded some regular crappy rap 12"(can't remember what..but something boring as hell) for it so I wasnt mad at all.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i cant really remember all the wlp i have but the one that sticks out is krs "the throwdown" with cold crush.

i know i have one where i wrote ATCQ on it but i cant remember what songs.

all this is at my parents house though so checking on them isnt going to happen. im pretty sure i have that beatnuts 12 cause i did a mix with that song back in the day.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    J Rock? Is this the early production work from Premier? What was the title of that LP again? "Streets" was in the title or something?

"Streetwize" was the name of the album.
    The guy that owned the label was a big willy here and had a minor beef with Alpo & them
    over the name "Streetwize" since they had their little rap group using the same name around the same time.

Thx Paul.

I remember seeing this at my friends house a couple of years ago. Doesn't this go for over a bill? I've never heard the album though. Is it any good?

• Only ones that I own are Uptown-Dope on Plastic

Love that record, damn.... that one's hard to find in any form out here.

• how about this one??

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hmm...Test Pressings...

I've got the following:

Lord Finesse - Funky Technician
    Pete Rock & CL - All Souled Out
    Main Source - Breakin' Atoms
    Del - I Wish My Brother George Was Here
    Black Sheep - Flavor Of The Month (Plays @ 45)

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

^^That's a nice Test. I was fortunate enough to locate one of those^^.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This one I've had for a while now. It's off that Marley Marl album on BBE. Don't think it was ever released as a 12".

• DWGDWG 334 Posts

This one I've had for a while now. It's off that Marley Marl album on BBE. Don't think it was ever released as a 12".

Yeah - that was a tough one to find. I'd heard it was a 500 press.

Mine hasn't got the track ID sticker on... so I was curious as to what it was initially.

• A bit nitpicky but that's not a test it's a promo.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    There is a gentleman from the UK who I think posts on here occasionally, with a test press of Smif n Wessun - 'Dah Shinin' LP. I know because the foll outbid me, and the guy who was selling it used to tell me all these stories about when he worked in the record industry in NYC, and had his hands on every release from 1988 for about 10 years! I bought a few brilliant records off this guy, man you should have seen all the sealed and stone mint stuff he had - seriously a hip hop collectro's wet dream! That Smif n Wessun is probably the only record I've been upset to lose out on that didn't go for stupid money.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    There is a gentleman from the UK who I think posts on here occasionally, with a test press of Smif n Wessun - 'Dah Shinin' LP. I know because the foll outbid me, and the guy who was selling it used to tell me all these stories about when he worked in the record industry in NYC, and had his hands on every release from 1988 for about 10 years! I bought a few brilliant records off this guy, man you should have seen all the sealed and stone mint stuff he had - seriously a hip hop collectro's wet dream! That Smif n Wessun is probably the only record I've been upset to lose out on that didn't go for stupid money.

A friend of mine has the test press 12" for Sound Bwoy Bureill with the Instrumental.

Soundquest bastardssssssssssssssssss

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ps. i've seen 10x more of those "dope on plastic" test presses than I've ever seen pic covers.