Hip Hop Test Pressings (RR)

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Lets talk about them. You've seen them floating around. You know that some of them are desirable and that some of them are worth less cause they have no cover art. I also know that some of you like to fantasize that its 1992 and you are an "a-list dj". I have a main source one for "just hangin out" thats pretty cool and comes with a few dif mixes. NO idea on its value, but its pretty cool anyways. What have you guys got? Special points if you recieved it cause you are an "A-list dj". what are the big ones? I remember jared talking about having some epmd record on a test pressing that he was happy about owning. and i think there was some pete rock instrumentals shit that used to go for dough. Record Gods, Drop some knowledge!!!

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I got a Dismasters - Small Time Hustlers test press. Never really noticed any differences than the OG though.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I got a Dismasters - Small Time Hustlers test press. Never really noticed any differences than the OG though.

Thats the thing. Theres usually not. Its just sort of a prestige type thing for some collectros I think. A-list Dj fantasy scenarios. Are there certain ones that are way more valuble and or different from the O.G.'s?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i sell them faster that i can remember what i had. i plan to keep the Diamond D with the 45 king mix though.

• Lets talk about them. You've seen them floating around. You know that some of them are desirable and that some of them are worth less cause they have no cover art. I also know that some of you like to fantasize that its 1992 and you are an "a-list dj".

I have a main source one for "just hangin out" thats pretty cool and comes with a few dif mixes. NO idea on its value, but its pretty cool anyways.

What have you guys got? Special points if you recieved it cause you are an "A-list dj".

what are the big ones? I remember jared talking about having some epmd record on a test pressing that he was happy about owning. and i think there was some pete rock instrumentals shit that used to go for dough.

Record Gods, Drop some knowledge!!!

when do test presses EVER come with covers???

Lets talk about them. You've seen them floating around. You know that some of them are desirable and that some of them are worth less cause they have no cover art. I also know that some of you like to fantasize that its 1992 and you are an "a-list dj".

I have a main source one for "just hangin out" thats pretty cool and comes with a few dif mixes. NO idea on its value, but its pretty cool anyways.

What have you guys got? Special points if you recieved it cause you are an "A-list dj".

what are the big ones? I remember jared talking about having some epmd record on a test pressing that he was happy about owning. and i think there was some pete rock instrumentals shit that used to go for dough.

Record Gods, Drop some knowledge!!!

when do test presses EVER come with covers???

Never, I meant that they are less valuble than a normal copy of the album because they lack one. Like when you see cti test pressings or something. Disregarding the suitcase scenario of course.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Only test press I got is Mad Flava on Priority Records from 1994.

A Side
    To The Break
    1. LP Version
    2. Instrumental
    3. A capella

B Side
    Got3 Ta Flow To This
    1. LP Version
    2. Instrumental
    3. On The 2 And 1

• the only one I have is apparently The Real Roxanne- Bang Zoom/Howie's Teed Off 12". I don't particularly care for test presses.

• I got a gangstarr mass appeal one and a boogie montsers one. And a few other ones that I cant remember. I think they sound like shit tho.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Early PB Wolf Test Pressing with Rasco's "Run The Line" remixes. Different from the commercial issue on Copasetik

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Don't the mixes on this appear on the commercial 12"?

I have a Black Sheep Test Press that plays @ 45. Got a score of test presses, but they're the same as the commercial releases. I don't look especially for test presses, but I seem to find them. There's a gangstarr TP that people jones for. Has a remix or something on it.

Early PB Wolf Test Pressing with Rasco's "Run The Line" remixes. Different from the commercial issue on Copasetik

Wow, stones throw test pressings. I guess that eliminates the A-List dj fantasy thing. They were like, "this rasco song is for the club!"

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I have a fair amount of hip hop test pressings, mostly underground west coast shit like Del's first album, Jurrasic 5, Freestyle Fellowship 12"s off of Inner City Griots and some De La Soul.

• I've got a test for the J Rock "Neighborhood Drug Dealer" 12", which was a pretty hard joint to find to begin with. It includes an instrumental for the Premier remix which I don't think ended up on the commercial 12.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Wow, stones throw test pressings. I guess that eliminates the A-List dj fantasy thing. They were like, "this rasco song is for the club!"

You got it all wrong. G Luv the Architect is the producer who did work for Homliss Derelix and Encore on early Stones Throw releases. The Rasco Remixes which are on the A-Side feature a Lord Finesse Remix and a 45King remix.

• I don't have much but one worth mentioning is my "One For All" Test press. That's kinda cool to have since I don't even have the commercial release. I found it in the dollar buns.

• I got a test press of that Afrika Bambata/James Brown track with a few diffrent mixes + the acapella.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    How many goddamn test pressings of "Party Over Here" by Busta Rhymes exist? Like 10 skillion?

• How many goddamn test pressings of "Rap Scholar" by Das Efx exist? Like 10 skabilliontrillionzillion?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I've got a test for the J Rock "Neighborhood Drug Dealer" 12", which was a pretty hard joint to find to begin with. It includes an instrumental for the Premier remix which I don't think ended up on the commercial 12.

J Rock? Is this the early production work from Premier? What was the title of that LP again? "Streets" was in the title or something?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Diamond D Test Pressing with instrumentals and 45King Remix

Beatnuts Test Pressing for "Off The Books" remix from the Spot Remix EP with instrumental. Never released.

• How many goddamn test pressings of "crossover" by EPMD exist? Like 10 skabilliontrillionzillion?

I'm sayin' the dude who had to write on each of those labels must've had a sore wrist.

• Beatnuts Test Pressing for "Off The Books" remix from the Spot Remix EP with instrumental. Never released.

theres a reason why that one never got released.

its horrible

• Only ones that I own are Uptown-Dope on Plastic and Queen Latifah-Ladies First

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I'd disagree on that one. The beat is kinda on the Jam On it bassline tip.

• How many goddamn test pressings of "crossover" by EPMD exist? Like 10 skabilliontrillionzillion?

whats up with that one for the crossover remix???
    live up to the hype??

• Only ones that I own are Uptown-Dope on Plastic

Love that record, damn.... that one's hard to find in any form out here.

• I'd disagree on that one. The beat is kinda on the Jam On it bassline tip.

• Main Source "Live At The BBQ" for "A" List DJ's only.

• i had the Main Source-Live at the BBQ (and some other tracks if I remember correctly) test pressing but sold it on Ebay about a year or two ago. I think it went for around $100 or so.

I also sold another Main Source promo raer 12" to the same guy..but I cant remember which fucking record it was now. He was a Japanese guy putting out a book on raer rap 12"s. Anyone familiar with this guy or the book? He linked me to a site at the time he bought them but I dont have the book anymore.