Black Sabbath

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
Just cannot stop listening to these albums... again and again they're just SO good.

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    fuck yes.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Every word I am about to type is true:

I have never heard A Black Sabbath album. I have heard the song Ironman. And I am sure other songs from the radio. But that is all.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    fuck yes.

• Every word I am about to type is true:

I have never heard A Black Sabbath album. I have heard the song Ironman. And I am sure other songs from the radio. But that is all.

First 4 albums are absolutely essential...no excuses.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

DUDE!

• pknypkny 549 Posts

Dude, I've seen some crazy flame wars on this site over various artists, but the one thing I've never seen is someone dog out Sabbath. So essential, so hit them dollar bins and stock up pronto.

• Every word I am about to type is true:

Black Sabbatical?

DUDE!

and I cant even explain it.

• I was just talking to my friend about this...it is very hard to find someone who is into music who doesn't like Black Sabbath. It's the one band everyone can agree on.

Dude, I've seen some crazy flame wars on this site over various artists, but the one thing I've never seen is someone dog out Sabbath. So essential, so hit them dollar bins and stock up pronto.

im not doggin out black sabbath, just never heard it thats all.

• pknypkny 549 Posts

im not doggin out black sabbath, just never heard it thats all.

Didn't mean to imply that you're dogging them, just sayin that Sabbath is one of the few artists that are just about universally revered on the 'Strut. I don't think I've seen someone come out and dog them.

But I stand by my 'cop that shit' statement though

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Didn't mean to imply that you're dogging them, just sayin that Sabbath is one of the few artists that are just about universally revered on the 'Strut. I don't think I've seen someone come out and dog them.

Seriously, even I like Sabbath.

• One of my favorite bands. Master Of Reality[/b] is my favorite album, hard to beat the Ozzy era, but love the Dio era too. I remember when Dio left, me and my friends were like "oh no, Dio is gone!" but he would of course start his own band. Born Again[/b] is still a brutal album, especially "Disturbing The Priest". I know some of my friends saw deeper meaning into seeing an infant devil on the cover, but that was the whole point, to scare people who just didn't care to see deeper than the surface. But that wicked laugh as the song is fading fits that cover perfectly. I also remember thinking "Bev Bevans plays drums on this? The ELO guy?" Up until that point, ELO were one of the darlings of MTV and of course they were all over the radio in the late 70's, so to hear Bevans seriously play was an eye (and ear) opener.

After that, the only post-Gillan BS album I liked was The Eternal Idol[/b], probably underrated but very powerful stuff, especially for anyone who loves Tony Iommi's guitar work. When Dio returned for Dehumanizer[/b], it felt good to hear them together like that again.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Genius Black Music

• black sabbath is one of those bands that i could never get sick of even though certain songs (warpigs, ironman) are played to death.

i recently checked out the first disc of

and it was damn good and entertaining! it covers performances from s/t all the way to never say die, and even though the latter isn't one of my favorite sabbath albums, the clip from that era was very badass and heavy. i can't remember what song it was, but it was fast and thrashy.

that album cover murders it btw:

on the contrary, i watched led zepellin's the song remains the same dvd last nite for the first time and it was

• Didn't mean to imply that you're dogging them, just sayin that Sabbath is one of the few artists that are just about universally revered on the 'Strut. I don't think I've seen someone come out and dog them.

You like any record with "Black" in the title.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Genius Black Music

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    on the contrary, i watched led zepellin's the song remains the same dvd last nite for the first time and it was

I've never seen more than a few minutes of that bloated piece of crap myself

Check this though and fall in love all over again:

If I was going to buy a Black Sabbath album tonight, which one should I start out with?

• If I was going to buy a Black Sabbath album tonight, which one should I start out with?

Go back to the beginning, and pick one of these three:
    Black Sabbath (first album)
    Paranoid
    Master Of Reality

Or if you want a good representation of the Ozzy era, look for We Sold Our Soul For Rock & Roll[/b].

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    If I was going to buy a Black Sabbath album tonight, which one should I start out with?

My favorite is probably MASTER OF REALITY, but self-titled might be the best introduction...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

This comp in itself is its own animal!!! Not your usual greatest hits shlock!

thanks but, i dont do greatest hits. I like to hear albums how they wer intended.

thanks but, i dont do greatest hits. I like to hear albums how they wer intended.

No, this isnt your typical greatest hits..........its has a cult respect amongst fans...........plus extra tracks.......dont sleep.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    fuck yes.

• thanks but, i dont do greatest hits. I like to hear albums how they wer intended.

However, this is Black Sabbath, and they didn't exactly do "Top 40" fare. It's not a "greatest hits" album per se, because they really didn't have hits. I mean, consider that when they were releasing albums, other songs in the Top 40 were stuff like "One Bad Apple", "American Pie", "One Tin Soldier", "Desiderata", etc. They got more FM airplay than anything, because "Iron Man", "Sweet Leaf", "Paranoid", and "The Wizard" was considered too heavy and evil.

Like Led Zeppelin, they were radio favorites, but they had always been "album friendly", so tune in to any decent hard rock station and you will hear "Fairies Wear Boots", "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", "Snowblind", or "Symptom Of The Universe".

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    just sayin that Sabbath is one of the few artists that are just about universally revered on the 'Strut. I don't think I've seen someone come out and dog them.

Its also great to see Sabbath (along with Zep) be groups that still influence/inspire youths today. I work as a councelor for 12-15 year olds and their all sabbath heads. t-shirts and all

• Iommi or Ozzy? Who's more important to the band?

Iommi or Ozzy? Who's more important to the band?

img src="http://www.soulstrut.com/img/scans/2005/Sabbath/fd011-jack-daniels-whiskey-2.jpg
    " alt="" />

• Its also great to see Sabbath (along with Zep) be groups that still influence/inspire youths today. I work as a councelor for 12-15 year olds and their all sabbath heads. t-shirts and all

Very cool to know that. I got into them because my uncle loved them, it was scary covers, with the army green label, and the sounds were just cool. When the 7th grade started, I was introduced to kids from other schools, and found I liked the same music as the stoner kids. Then could turn around, walk to the next building, and find myself knowing what a discarded cardboard box could be used for.

Today, Ozzy is more than just the Black Sabbath guy, or the Diary Of A Madman[/b] guy, he's the occasionally-incoherent guy who had his own TV show. It's sick to think that MTV had always made fun of his interviews, and decided to milk that fact for all it was worth by giving him and his family a TV show. I would like to think that those kids who are fascinated by Black Sabbath will shun the mainstream persona that has been created for Ozzy, and just listen to a band who played "working class music" that inspired a lot of other bands to do the same in the last 35 years.