Black Sabbath

Comments

• Iommi or Ozzy? Who's more important to the band?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    However, this is Black Sabbath, and they didn't exactly do "Top 40" fare. It's not a "greatest hits" album per se, because they really didn't have hits. I mean, consider that when they were releasing albums, other songs in the Top 40 were stuff like "One Bad Apple", "American Pie", "One Tin Soldier", "Desiderata", etc. They got more FM airplay than anything, because "Iron Man", "Sweet Leaf", "Paranoid", and "The Wizard" was considered too heavy and evil.

While they may not sound like your average hitmakers, don't test Sabb's Billboard gangsta.

"Paranoid" was #4 on the singles chart in 1970, and was Top 40 AGAIN in 1980, hitting #14... not to mention the fact that its been used to advertise at least a few products since...

Mad decent for a tune thrown together in a few minutes to fill out the album (originally titled WAR PIGS)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Its also great to see Sabbath (along with Zep) be groups that still influence/inspire youths today. I work as a councelor for 12-15 year olds and their all sabbath heads. t-shirts and all

Very cool to know that. I would like to think that those kids who are fascinated by Black Sabbath will shun the mainstream persona that has been created for Ozzy, and just listen to a band who played "working class music" that inspired a lot of other bands to do the same in the last 35 years.

Definitely although they find his antics funny they only respect/praise the music. And its great cause some of the older councelours regall them with stories of sabbath concerts. Working class for sure manchester was rough in those times(although it sorta still is)

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    No Black Sabbath = no heavy metal

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    No Black Sabbath = no mind altering and "holy shit"-inducing stoner sessions at 15

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    No Black Sabbath = no mind altering and "holy shit"-inducing stoner sessions at 15

lol

Yes... not forgetting listening to 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' in a cemetary at 2am...

• on the contrary, i watched led zepellin's the song remains the same dvd last nite for the first time and it was

I've never seen more than a few minutes of that bloated piece of crap myself

Check this though and fall in love all over again:

Major co-sign. I'm a huge Zep fan and most Zep fans readily admit that "The Song Remains The Same" was a mediocre Zep show. It was filmed over 3 nights at the end of their 1975 tour, the band was tired and the shows weren't that great. However, the DVD compilation they put out a couple years ago rocks hard, as does the live CD set "How The West Was Won". Zep near the peak of their game.

• paranoid was one of the first clips that i saw at tv, so i can??t hate ozzy

• While they may not sound like your average hitmakers, don't test Sabb's Billboard gangsta.

"Paranoid" was #4 on the singles chart in 1970, and was Top 40 AGAIN in 1980, hitting #14... not to mention the fact that its been used to advertise at least a few products since...

I know the chart statistics, #4 in the UK, #61 in the US, and again I said "hits". They were not a hit-making machine, but at least on the U.S. side, Warner Bros. knew they were on an uphill battle. They seeked to have some kind of presence on AM radio, their main means of promotion.

If anything, Warner Bros. (and most labels) would only request a quadraphonic mix of an album if it was a huge success. Paranoid[/b] as an album was huge in a pop sense, and thus the reason for a quad mix existing.

Their album statistics, however, was common with many bands of the era. Black Sabbath were an album band, so their "Billboard gangsta" is the right assumption, but they had to also play the role of the industry by having the occasional single. In the Ozzy era though, they had only four U.S. singles. The fact that "Never Say Die" came out as a single is funny, ahtough on that BS documentary, it's great to see them on Top Of The Pops, trying to do their best to please those who loved that big hit single.

I am someone who loves the integrity of the album, but I also find it interesting to see how labels tried to push a lot of these bands as "hit makers". That's one reason why I seek the 45's, to listen to the single edits and wonder how in the world they thought it would crack the charts in a major way. But back then the money was plentiful, and they were more than willing to release 100 flop singles for the sake of having maybe five big hits, if they were lucky. I also like artists who did separate their album work from their singles. Paul McCartney was like that for years, and so were Pink Floyd in the early days.

• Major co-sign. I'm a huge Zep fan and most Zep fans readily admit that "The Song Remains The Same" was a mediocre Zep show. It was filmed over 3 nights at the end of their 1975 tour, the band was tired and the shows weren't that great.

Actually it was at the end of their 1973 tour, at MSG. It is good for what it is, a concert film. I remember reading this years ago, but it's always great to watch the "Whole Lotta Love" segment and see John Paul Jones' outfit magically change three different times during the performance.

• WHEEEEERE CAN YOU RUN TO?

WHAT MORE CAN YOU DO?

NOOOOOO MORE TOMORROW

LIFE IS KILLING YOU

DREEEEEAMS TURN TO NIGHTMARES

HEAVEN TURNS TO HELL

BUUURNED OUT CONFUSION

NOTHING MORE TO TELL

YEAH

EEEEEEVERYTHING AROUND YOU

WHAT'S IT COMING TO?

GOD KNOWS AS YOUR DOG KNOWS

BOG BLAST ALL OF YOU

SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH

NOTHING MORE TO DO

LIVING JUST FOR DYING

DYING JUST FOR YOU

YEAH
    [/b]

• Major co-sign. I'm a huge Zep fan and most Zep fans readily admit that "The Song Remains The Same" was a mediocre Zep show. It was filmed over 3 nights at the end of their 1975 tour, the band was tired and the shows weren't that great.

it was just the band at their most self-indulgent. it just seemed like everything the band could be made fun of for by the haters was conveniently packaged into one release. the wizards, the scene of plant driving a sword into the earth, the revealing derek smalls cucumber pants, guitar wankery from page, automatic weapons and pseudo-mafia rubouts, etc etc

• EEEEEEVERYTHING AROUND YOU

WHAT'S IT COMING TO?

GOD KNOWS AS YOUR DOG KNOWS

BOG BLAST ALL OF YOU

[/b]

• "HAND OF DOOM" BITCHES !!!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Paranoid was the first album i ever owned, i was 10 years old. it was given to me by a friend as his dad was a born-again and discovered it in his kids room, if it wasnt for Sabbath maybe i never would have developed an unhealthy obsession with records.

Or, come to think of it, born agains....

thank you Ozzy. Thank you jesus.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    love black sabbath. i think paranoid's my favorite album by them

• Iommi or Ozzy? Who's more important to the band?

I honestly think Bill Ward and Geezer Butler were the most important. With the rhythm those cats provided, you couldn't help noddin your head with them. Think intro to N.I.B. with Geezer just

• I honestly think Bill Ward and Geezer Butler were the most important. With the rhythm those cats provided, you couldn't help noddin your head with them. Think intro to N.I.B. with Geezer just

You mean the song "Bassically? Definitely. I always liked what producer Tony G. did with that in Kid Frost's "Smoke" on Hispanic Causing Panic[/b], mixed in with the break from the end of "Behind The Wall Of Sleep".

• I was just talking to my friend about this...it is very hard to find someone who is into music who doesn't like Black Sabbath. It's the one band everyone can agree on.

not me (although i liked 'em okay when i was in middle/high school)

• No Black Sabbath = no heavy metal

Beg to differ...

Okay, Blue Cheer didn't have the long-range influence of Black Sabbath, and those in the know insist that they lost it after the first two albums, but they did precede Sabbath by two years. Vincebus Eruptum and Outside Inside remain speaker-shredding classics.

• I would argue that Paranoid has the greatest B-side of any LP ever. "Electric Funeral" is the heaviest song of all time, plus "Hand of Doom", "Rat Salad", and "Fairies Wear Boots".

Beg to differ...

Okay, Blue Cheer didn't have the long-range influence of Black Sabbath, and those in the know insist that they lost it after the first two albums, but they did precede Sabbath by two years. Vincebus Eruptum and Outside Inside remain speaker-shredding classics.

What Blue Cheer was doing (and bear in mind that they're one of my favorite rock bands) was in line with what Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience were already doing, ie. fuzzed out guitars and hyperactive drummers. Similarities can be drawn to Sabbath's first album, which was more blues-based, but by Paranoid they were in completely uncharted territory.

• I would argue that Paranoid has the greatest B-side of any LP ever. "Electric Funeral" is the heaviest song of all time, plus "Hand of Doom", "Rat Salad", and "Fairies Wear Boots".

right. lets not forget that they had the illest song titles around.

beezy. get the lady in the woods LP or paranoid, whichever you see first. those things are motherfucking boulders. so damn thorough.

report back!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Damn Docbeez. Seriously get up on some Sabbath. Paranoid is definitely one of my favorite rock LP's of all time. If anybody of you in this thread hasn't heard any Flower Traveling Band. I reccomend you check out Satori, and Anywhere. There BLACK SABBATH cover. Is better then the original. IMO. The Japanese were SLEPT ON.

- spidey

• No Coven "Witchcraft" Lp = No Black Sabbath or Ozzy Osbourne (Oz Osborne on the Coven record) - they totally jacked his name and the bands from that record - even the image. The record itself is nowhere near Sabbath - but it's interesting nonetheless.

• Damn Docbeez. Seriously get up on some Sabbath. Paranoid is definitely one of my favorite rock LP's of all time. If anybody of you in this thread hasn't heard any Flower Traveling Band. I reccomend you check out Satori, and Anywhere. There BLACK SABBATH cover. Is better then the original. IMO. The Japanese were SLEPT ON.

- spidey

I would be interested in all of that. Pass me some information.

• Flower Travelin' Band is good shit. Someday I will find an OG "Anywhere".

• Flower Travelin' Band is good shit. Someday I will find an OG "Anywhere".

I'll do a search right now, but if you have links to any articles on them, I'd like to read something about them.

EDIT: I found some links:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/itakeaway/archives/2004-03.html

http://www.cosmiclava.de/FLOWER_TRAVELLIN__BAND.27.0.html

https://www.freakemporium.com/new3/index.cgi?artist=Flower Travellin' Band

http://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/flower.travellin.band.html

They were on Atlantic too. Nice. Now I have to hear them.

Beg to differ...

What Blue Cheer was doing (and bear in mind that they're one of my favorite rock bands) was in line with what Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience were already doing, ie. fuzzed out guitars and hyperactive drummers.

...but cruder.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Flower Travelin' Band is good shit. Someday I will find an OG "Anywhere".

I'll do a search right now, but if you have links to any articles on them, I'd like to read something about them.

EDIT: I found some links:
    http://blog.livedoor.jp/itakeaway/archives/2004-03.html
    http://www.cosmiclava.de/FLOWER_TRAVELLIN__BAND.27.0.html
    https://www.freakemporium.com/new3/index.cgi?artist=Flower Travellin' Band
    http://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/flower.travellin.band.html

They were on Atlantic too. Nice. Now I have to hear them.

Good research. Julian cope had a very comprehensive background on the band, and there origin on his head heritage site, but it seems to be down now cause it's "currently being updated and re-written by Julian for his forthcoming book JAPROCKSAMPLER. But here's a link to the archived page.

This may or may not work for you:

clicky

I can send you some stuff if you PM me your AIM or SOULSEEK name.

- spidey