Intrinsic materialism in hiphop

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Paging F. Rillz...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Its not ALL about money, but money is an important element, a major issue, as it is with everybody. Why wouldnt you talk about it?

Anyway, it looks like 50 is saying here how he brought his team up and made sure everyone around him was independently situated good. If you are the boss of a crew, this is something you are allowed to brag about. He makes a very good point that nas was never able to manage that for those in his crew, regardless of his time spent in the game.

Making your team some money is not the point. making good music with them is.

LOL

STAY BROKE OR DIE TRYING.

in that sense i guess but thats not what i meant.

$ is an important aspect of recording to. Its just look at other music types no feuds no supercollabo label moves reminicent corporate buyout of firms. However a rebutal may be they are less acute business men.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Finall rant the South's popularity (no front on great southern acts that have repped for years) is similar to the latin music takeover of a while back (ricky martin, paulina rubino, shakira, jlo en castellano
    Paging F. Rillz...

From a label's perspective. Giving shine to the south is good. Xcept for lil whytey!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Take a few deep breaths, bro. Go outside and take a walk.

Maybe a glass of water.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Take a few deep breaths, bro. Go outside and take a walk.

Maybe a glass of water.

I am not at all angered man.. i just wanted to cover myself it was a funny comment you made...iam studying right now so its all good

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    You think hiphop is materialistic? You should check out some of the big players in the jazzdance scene. I'm just saying.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    What, are you bagging on Southern Rap too? Theres a little website i think you should know about...its called www.okayplayer.com. GO THERE!

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Its amazing to me wow far off the thoughts are on this subject.

but hey, white boys on computers all day dont usually have the knowledge on these subjects.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    What, are you bagging on Southern Rap too? Theres a little website i think you should know about...its called www.okayplayer.com. GO THERE!

but hey, white boys on computers all day dont usually have the knowledge on these subjects.

This thread can die. Iam black and this is ridiculous. I was never dissing the south ever (just commenting on how a record exec views it as the new goldmine)

I am taking the comments on the okay player/backpack things lightly because i never meant to sound that way. so whatevs

A rapper grading his performance on the worth of houses bought for his homies is like a consultant anouncing 20% profit this semester. It seems $ is the main question making it intrinsic.

"[Young] Buck's house don't cost $2 million, but you wouldn't know it. In Nashville, the property value is different."

Perfect example, are we in a music interview? Who are you trying to prove
    something to?

This is mainly my point

good day gentleman

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

This thread can die. Iam black and this is ridiculous. I was never dissing the south ever (just commenting on how a record exec views it as the new goldmine)

A rapper grading his performance on the worth of houses bought for his homies is like a consultant anouncing 20% profit this semester. It seems $ is the main question making it intrinsic.

"[Young] Buck's house don't cost $2 million, but you wouldn't know it. In Nashville, the property value is different."

Perfect example, are we in a music interview? Who are you trying to prove
    something to?

This is mainly my point

good day gentleman
    Well, i didnt mean any disrespect.

If we look at it from a artistic vs. business perspective only, then I see what you are saying.

I guess I was just thinking of WHY it is this way. People like to blame the rappers for being greedy and irresponsible with the way they flaunt and seemingly only care about personal wealth. No one bothers to look at WHY it is that way.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Always funny

Well, i didnt mean any disrespect.

If we look at it from a artistic vs. business perspective only, then I see what you are saying.

I guess I was just thinking of WHY it is this way. People like to blame the rappers for being greedy and irresponsible with the way they flaunt and seemingly only care about personal wealth. No one bothers to look at WHY it is that way.

I feel that. I guess its a cutthroat world too. Its mostly a shame how musi and $$$ mix. Who knows how Nas' contribution to hiphop could have changed without this interplay, for example. no disrespect taken.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I feel that. I guess its a cutthroat world too. Its mostly a shame how musi and $$$ mix. Who knows how Nas' contribution to hiphop could have changed without this interplay, for example. no disrespect taken.

nas had every opportunity jay-z did

what nas didn't have was good taste in beats, charisma or any pop sensibility.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what nas didn't have was good taste in beats, charisma or any pop sensibility.
    Why not i guess. I was commenting on his gangster-persona switch to follow the "market trends of the times" it slowed his career down but not the only mistake by far.

• Its mostly a shame how musi and $$$ mix.

true, but that's the "Art vs Commerce" thing, and it's not new:

paging Horkheimer and Adorno....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Its mostly a shame how musi and $$$ mix.

true, but that's the "Art vs Commerce" thing, and it's not new:

paging Horkheimer and Adorno....

True check the art issue of adbusters for great texts on that and amazing art

• Because hip hop lyricism is largely put forth by (relative) morons.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

funny, I think 50 can be seen on the back of this album cover hangin out with the posse when he was 12 or so....

• People like to blame the rappers for being greedy and irresponsible with the way they flaunt and seemingly only care about personal wealth. No one bothers to look at WHY it is that way.

exactly- capitalism much?

i see no difference in 50 collecting cars (or diamonds or whatever the fuck he does with his green) and dubya collecting countries. Yet one person is slated and the other is idolized. Its indicative of the predominant american culture, that "greed is good". No one puts it that bluntly but you see kids on IDOL who cannot beleive they aren't cut out for stardom and riches. It's definable in our (australian) culture too but it seems to a lesser extent. And sadly it seems to be being absorbed into our culture more and more. And I DIRECTLY blame 50 et al for saturating the airwaves with it. Yeah you can see pink with her bentley on MTV or, i dunno, Micheal Bolton with a solid god dildo in some magazine. But they aren't singing about it. And the radio is the most penetrating of all media (acording to advertising statisics anyway). So there IS a difference as i see it.

(2 cents THROWN)

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    fucka harem, I'm sick of rappers talking about running trains on chicks and slanging rock, shit is foul.

• fucka harem, I'm sick of rappers talking about running trains on chicks and slanging rock, shit is foul.

It's the epitome of efficiency. Why have each guy from the crew individually take the time and expense to try to get a chick in bed, when one can do it and the rest can benefit?

If you break it down per guy, that's only a few minutes and a few dollars each.

Not to mention, they cut the possibility of illegitimate children down majorly. As each girl can only get pregnant by one guy, the percentage possibility for each guy in the gangbang getting stuck by child support drops. For instance, completely ignoring birth control, ovulation, etc., if there are 10 guys in a gangbang, there is only a maximum 10% chance that a pregnancy could be the result of their sperm.

And the efficiencies continue.

If only our government could be so efficient and cost-effect.

And I DIRECTLY blame 50 et al for saturating the airwaves with it. Yeah you can see pink with her bentley on MTV or, i dunno, Micheal Bolton with a solid god dildo in some magazine. But they aren't singing about it. And the radio is the most penetrating of all media (acording to advertising statisics anyway). So there IS a difference as i see it.

(2 cents THROWN)

I didnt want to have to bring this up, but I guess we have to go there.

Black youth in the inner city that grow up in poverty do not get the same advantages that Michael Bolton got. For example. A kid in the projects (lets call him Johnny) grows up among grinding poverty, roaches, rats, an empty stomach. He goes to school and is taught by white women (generally) that do not have the proper tools to teach him and understand him. Johnny is treated as though he is tolerated and not appreciated and nurtured, in most cases reccomended for special education (an intellectual death sentence) simply because the teachers want to push them off to someone else.

Johnny has a poor self image. He sees todays society, which is bent on possessionis and money and power. Where if you dont have have have, if you dont have diomonds etc.. you are worthless. There are TV shows (The fabulous life of, Cribs, etc) that shove the lifestyles of the wealthy right into Johnnys face.

Johnny is given no set of goals and standards to shoot for. Except to climb out of poverty. Material wealth is the goal. That is what he sees, and noone is there to tell him otherwise.

Johnny becomes a rapper. Johnny makes millions. WHAT ELSE WILL HE TALK ABOUT? He gets respect and admiration from those back in his old neighborhoods, kids look up to him as a hero.

and now people want to blame him for him flaunting his wealth.

We criminalize and ignore at the begining, and criminalize and blame at the end.

yeah. blame the rappers.

• and now people want to blame him for him flaunting his wealth.

You make it sound like flaunting wealth is a bad thing.

You make it sound like flaunting wealth is a
    bad thing.

have you been following this post at all?

JESUS FUCKIN CHRIST!

READ WHAT I QUOTED! THINK BEFORE YOU RESPOND!

• and now people want to blame him for him flaunting his wealth.

bad thing.

JESUS FUCKIN CHRIST!

Are you or are you not pro-flaunting wealth?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

bad thing.

JESUS FUCKIN CHRIST!

I got a feeling: this will end up in one of those anemic "post your physical address" blah.

• Gratuitous question dodging may make that necessary.

bad thing.

JESUS FUCKIN CHRIST!

I got a feeling: this will end up in one of those anemic "post your physical address" blah.

no fuck that shit. This dude is a toy with a huge lack of reading comprehension skills.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Gratuitous question dodging may make that necessary.

You know, it's not that I don't like your "post your physical address", but it's lacking passion. I would like something like "post your physical address, I want your life to be a nightmare". I don't know....just a thought.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

bad thing.

JESUS FUCKIN CHRIST!

no fuck that shit. This dude is a toy with a huge lack of reading comprehension skills.

You dare to speak of Reynaldo in such a fashion?!