what am I missing ? (Kanye related)

DigginDiggin 319 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
So I'm at work, bored, looking through some music new sites and once again I stumble over some positive ish about Kanye and also this quote from Byron Crawford (http://www.byroncrawford.com/) "[West's] rapping skills are just this side of horrible, maybe half-a-notch above P. Diddy"This is exactly what I've felt all along and probably lots of other people too but what I'm interested in knowing is what is it people hear that I don't when he gets 5-star reviews and platinum sales???A more intresting discussion: who's worse - Kanye, Mase or Loon?

Comments

• He might not be the most talented lyricist in the game, but at least his rhymes are inventive and interesting.

He talks about some real shit most of the time...compared to most - yes I said MOST - commercial rap cats talking about their rims and "magic sticks"

I'd way rather listen to Kanye's mediocre raps with some substance and style than most of the inconsequential shit coming out right now.

• A more intresting discussion: who's worse - Kanye, Mase or Loon?

honestly i dont like any one of them...boo hoo..thats my opinion though

• I used to hate his drawlish slur but it kinda grew on me.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

A more intresting discussion: who's worse - Kanye, Mase or Loon?
    I also had this secret liking for Mase's voice. I don't know why, I just always thought if he went back to the Murda Mase days and had some heat production he would be really dope.

Then I heard him on one of the early DJ Screw tapes all slowed down and he sounded very dope.

Back on subject, I always thought Kanye's rhymes were kind of . However, I think that 50 is a prime example of people not really listening to lyrics anyways. To many people the voice is like another instrument, and what is actually being said doesn't really matter.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Gimme a break. Kanye isnt near that bad. I actually think he comes off nice sometimes.

You dweebs are just mad cause hes not super scientifical madness type lyrical.

• Gimme a break. Kanye isnt near that bad. I actually think he comes off nice sometimes.

I've always thought Kanye was an above average rapper. Maybe not one of the best ever, but definitely way better than most of what we've been getting lately. I think most of the people who don't like him are just put off by his voice or his inflection or style or something... I dunno, it seems to me that it should be clear to anyone who understands the science of putting rhymes together that Kanyeezy is very good at this. He's witty and clever, has unique ways of saying things ("ass like Serena / Trina, Jeena-fa Lopez, fo' kids"... that schitt right there is crazy creative, but I bet that's one of the lines that the hatters can't stand, isn't it?), is far from one-dimensional in his subject matter, has a lot of personality, and overall his rhymes are just well constructed- there is nothing simple-simon about this dude's rhymes at all. And he's ORIGINAL! He's not trying to rhyme like Jay-Z or somebody.

Well, what can I say... you like what you like, you don't like what you don't like. To each his own, I guess.

• My tuppence fo what it's worth, is that dude might not be super technical on the mic, but who wants to listen to some mathematical science nerd shit anywho? Conversely, he kicks rhymes that make me want to listen, unlike - say - 90% of the anodyne thug rappers out there (like Jeezy, whom I find to be somewhat of a one dimensional snoozer truth be told).

• He's not worst out there & he has his momenst. He's an okay emcee. What i find a bit tiring is his downward inflection he uses on the last word of each of his lines. gets annoying.

Also wasn't down with the fact that he was lyrically on 6 of Commons last album. Seemed a tad indulgent.
    And that 'Golddigger' tune has my vote for the most frustratingly grating song of the year, well one of them. just got up my skin something fierce.
    But yeah, at least he does address things & his lyrics have more depth than most of those moneyed up clowns.

I can always go listen to Grav's album & hear some of his early boom bap beats.. Ha!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Gimme a break. Kanye isnt near that bad. I actually think he comes off nice sometimes.

I've always thought Kanye was an above average rapper. Maybe not one of the best ever, but definitely way better than most of what we've been getting lately. I think most of the people who don't like him are just put off by his voice or his inflection or style or something... I dunno, it seems to me that it should be clear to anyone who understands the science of putting rhymes together that Kanyeezy is very good at this. He's witty and clever, has unique ways of saying things ("ass like Serena / Trina, Jeena-fa Lopez, fo' kids"... that schitt right there is crazy creative, but I bet that's one of the lines that the hatters can't stand, isn't it?), is far from one-dimensional in his subject matter, has a lot of personality, and overall his rhymes are just well constructed- there is nothing simple-simon about this dude's rhymes at all. And he's ORIGINAL! He's not trying to rhyme like Jay-Z or somebody.

Well, what can I say... you like what you like, you don't like what you don't like. To each his own, I guess.