your thoughts on "MASH UPS"

Comments

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This record has two really nice funky versions of DJ Numark featuring J-Lve, "Brand Nu Live"done from some dudes out of the UK.

• Yeah well girls will dance to anything as long as it has a beat.

When it comes to dancing, most girls (and guys) are fickle as hell.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    is it called a "blend" when you do it yourself and a "mashup" when you play a pre-made blend? in that case i have never played a mashup.

OK here you go. This is all totally subjective, but to me, here are the diffences between Mash-ups, blends and remixes.

"Mash-up" is usually two unlikely songs put together, usually with production/editing to make it work. 2 Many DJs, Danger Mouse, Satanik Mashups, Hollertronix, Uneasy Listening (even though Z-Trip and DJ P would object to that), etc. I also associate mash-up with one of the songs being white music, like putting Rhinestone Cowboy over Africa Bambatta or Britney Speats over The Clipse or whatever. In Europe they call it "Bootlegs" just to make it more confusing.

"Blends" are what you do live on 2 or 3 turntables when you put a beat under a different song or acapella. I don't think of the term "blend" as having any sort of connotation as far as what type of music is being played. But a blend isn't edited in a computer or produced on a sampler or anything.

"Remix" to me is a totally vague all-encompassing word. When DJ Premier is commisioned to make an original beat to go with D'Angelo's acapella, that is a remix. When Busta Rhymes does a verse on your song and you rerelease it, that is a remix, even if it is on the same exact beat. When Puffy takes a Biggy acapella and pays a ghost producer to loop up White Lines under it, that is a remix. When Danny Krivit re-edits an R&B song and funks up the drums, extends the intro and puts in breakdowns, that is a remix.

Mash-up is a made-up term that is used to describe something that has been going on forever. To a lot of people (myself included) it is a pejorative. It is like "electronica" - nobody who made dance music or downtempo in the early 90s would have said "I make electronica" but rock critics who weren't previously up on dance music decided it was the new thing and lumped everything without guitars into this broad, useless term.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Yeah well girls will dance to anything as long as it has a beat.

not a dj

• is it called a "blend" when you do it yourself and a "mashup" when you play a pre-made blend? in that case i have never played a mashup.

OK here you go. This is all totally subjective, but to me, here are the diffences between Mash-ups, blends and remixes.

"Mash-up" is usually two unlikely songs put together, usually with production/editing to make it work. 2 Many DJs, Danger Mouse, Satanik Mashups, Hollertronix, Uneasy Listening (even though Z-Trip and DJ P would object to that), etc. I also mash-up with one of the songs being white music, like putting Rhinestone Cowboy over Africa Bambatta or Britney Speats over The Clipse or whatever. In Europe they call it "Bootlegs" just to make it more confusing.

"Blends" are what you do live on 2 or 3 turntables when you put a beat under a different song or acapella. I don't think of the term "blend" as having any sort of connotation as far as what type of music is being played. But a blend isn't edited in a computer or produced on a sampler or anything.

"Remix" to me is a totally vague all-encompassing word. When DJ Premier is commisioned to make an original beat to go with D'Angelo's acapella, that is a remix. When Busta Rhymes does a verse on your song and you rerelease it, that is a remix, even if it is on the same exact beat. When Danny Krivit re-edits an R&B song and funks up the drums, extends the intro and puts in breakdowns, that is a remix.

Mash-up is a made-up term that is used to describe something that has been going on forever. To a lot of people (myself included) it is a pejorative. It is like "electronica" - nobody who made dance music or downtempo in the early 90s would have said "I make electronica" but rock critics who weren't previously up on dance music decided it was the new thing and lumped everything without guitars into this broad, useless term.

way to break it down...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This conversation is weak.

I heard Clark Kent mixing Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" over a hip hop beat the other day on NY radio.

"MASH UP"

Same type of shit has been done for ages.

Fuck, hip-hop in general is a fucking MASH-UP. Grandmaster Flash on some "Let me mash-up this James Brown drums with a fucking Talking Heads music" shit. Whatever. It's all rehash.

Suspect as fuck.

"Mashup" is a term that white journalists use to describe this shit in way so that they can kind of LAY CLAIM to something, call it theirs or appropriate that shit to whatever "forward thinking artist" or whatever type shit.

You can HATE ME NOW.

I didn't start this shit. The Rub didn't start this. Hollertronix didn't start this shit. Z-Trip and them dudes didn't start this shit. DJ Ran didn't start this when he was playing Wham "Everything She Wants" beat with a Mase Acapella on BLACK RADIO 10 years ago. DJ Storm didn't start this when he was playing Gap Band "Outstanding" over the DWYCK Horny Instrumental in a BLACK CLUB 12 years ago.

MOtherfuckers need to get over themselves.

I'm not about to play the race card, but motherfuckers know what the fuck I mean.

As for me, if it's good it's good. I will play a funky ass record. But if a record is ass then I will not play it.

A lot of you fucking people need to get off the internet and get out into the real world and see what actually happens.

Peace to Ron G, Brucie B, Kid Capri, Funkmaster Flex, Love Bug Starski.

• Peace to Ron G, Brucie B, Kid Capri, Funkmaster Flex, Love Bug Starski.

clever!

you took biggies shout out from 'juicy'

• I like 'em with lots of butter and a touch of garlic.

Oh! and don't forget the gravy.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Yeah well girls will dance to anything as long as it has a beat.

not a dj

Been a DJ for almost 16 years now.

• You're in the Bay Area yes?

What's your DJ handle?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You're in the Bay Area yes?

What's your DJ handle?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Are you from the Bay?

Are you from the Bay?

POST YOUR DJ NAME NOW OR YOU ARE SOFT

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Calm down it's not that serious. My name is up there already...

• anyone remember the simpsons episode where homer teaches at community college?
    he shows marge his leather coat with tweed patches sewn on the elbows. she tells him, 'that's supposed to be leather patches on a tweed jacket. you ruined a pefectly good jacket!'
    homer holds up a tweed jacket he cut up to make the patches. 'ah ah, marge; TWO pefectly good jackets.'

my only issue is when kids take a couple songs and put them together just for some kind of ironic result, rather than for funky or dance-able results. too many people just use the logic "this le tigre song is good, and this missy ellott song is good, ergo, they should be forced together in an unholy MASH UP."
    if the keys clash, if i can't dance to it, if it's not CLEVER, then i don't want to hear it. you're ruining two perfectly good songs!

and please, no more mixes with:

AC/DC
    Missy
    The Cure

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Are you from the Bay?

POST YOUR DJ NAME NOW OR YOU ARE SOFT
    Perfect example of a Soulstrut mashup.

• Are you from the Bay?

Yeah, I'm over here in SF.

I looked at your blog, so you DJ at KALX?
    You must know Matt Africa (also on this board)...

I sometimes get down with Rob and them over at Beatsauce.

B-Cause

• planet= gets my approval

now I expect of a flurry of little dudes and their spit ball-esque "zings".

• I sometimes get down with Rob and them over at Beatsauce.

So now I know where the names "Papi Chocolate" and "Raw B" comes from.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Are you from the Bay?

Yeah, I'm over here in SF.

I looked at your blog, so you DJ at KALX?
    You must know Matt Africa (also on this board)...

I sometimes get down with Rob and them over at Beatsauce.

B-Cause

Yeah I know Matt Africa and Beni B and O-Dub. Africa is the only one still at KALX besides myself.

THIS IS THE INTERNET--IT IS THAT SERIOUS

• Right on....when is your program on?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

THIS IS THE INTERNET--IT IS THAT SERIOUS

Sure whatever you say.

• Right on....when is your program on?

this sounds like you're spitting game, hombre. take that schitt to the P.M.'s so you can *ahem* "man-up".

• the emotion you are displaying does not become you, Young Pho...

• the emotion you are displaying does not become you, Young Pho...

POST ANOTHER BANGIN' MIX OR YOU'RE SOFT!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Right now I'm on Hiatus. I was doing teh Sunday Morning Show for a few years intil Billy jam took over. I stayed for a while but Billy does his own thing so I left the show. Right now I'm just stacking records and trying to find another good slot.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

"Mash-up" is usually two unlikely songs put together, usually with production/editing to make it work.....
    ...In Europe they call it "Bootlegs" just to make it more confusing.

I don't think so. 'Bootleg' is just a term used for illegally pressed records. Which most 'mash-ups' were.
    Mash-ups were popular in the UK about 4/5 years ago, until Kylie Minogue sang one of her hits over New Order's blue monday at 'the brits' (the incredibly lame Uk versions of the Grammys) Then became part of the mainstream consciousness and soon died out.

Its true that this 'idea' of playing two records together is nothing new, and dj's have been doing it for years. But I think that when you take it that one step further and have a whole set of 'mash ups' and you have dj'd who played nothing else, it needed a name.

As for it being in some way race related that???s just you Americans putting your favourite hang-up on another mildly related topic.
    When coldcut played 'One blood - Reid, Junior' over 'Street beats vol.2 - Truper' or 'Bridge is over - BDP' over 'Into the 90's - Photek' were they thinking about the juxtaposing irony of the racial mix they were creating. Or maybe, hey these 2 records sound fresh together.

• As for it being in some way race related that???s just you Americans putting your favourite hang-up on another mildly related topic. When coldcut played 'One blood - Reid, Junior' over 'Street beats vol.2 - Truper' or 'Bridge is over - BDP' over 'Into the 90's - Photek' were they thinking about the juxtaposing irony of the racial mix they were creating. Or maybe, hey these 2 records sound fresh together.

i dont think ayres was referring to the "irony of the racial mix", rather that, for some, the "mash-up" concept makes rap music palatable where it was not before. ie, people who didn't/couldn't respect jay-z as an artist/lyricist until he was paired up with the beatles.

• As for it being in some way race related that???s just you Americans putting your favourite hang-up on another mildly related topic. When coldcut played 'One blood - Reid, Junior' over 'Street beats vol.2 - Truper' or 'Bridge is over - BDP' over 'Into the 90's - Photek' were they thinking about the juxtaposing irony of the racial mix they were creating. Or maybe, hey these 2 records sound fresh together.

i dont think ayres was referring to the "irony of the racial mix", rather that, for some, the "mash-up" concept makes rap music palatable where it was not before. ie, people who didn't/couldn't respect jay-z as an artist/lyricist until he was paired up with the beatles - not the intent so much as the reaction.