One handed djs

jazzmackjazzmack 26 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
has anyone here ever had to dj with one hand because it was incapacitated: lacerated, bruised, cut-off, born without an arm?

Comments

• There's a house DJ in St. Louis named Don Tinsley who is missing half of one of his arms and he's pretty damn good. His group, Urban Jazz Naturals, has some jazzy house records out if that's your thing, which more than likely isn't.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    DJ Semtex from the UK has one prosthetic arm. He cuts and scratches too...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    There is a Reggae Dancehall DJ out here in the bay area that has one arm. He's pretty good.

• There is a Reggae Dancehall DJ out here in the bay area that has one arm. He's pretty good.

He has two arms, actually, but one doesn't appear to be functional. I've never asked him about it (since it's none of my biz, really), but he always keeps it in his pocket.

And he's a very, very good DJ, super knowledgeable, friendly, and owns the best reggae store in the Bay (Wisdom Records).

• a little off topic, but I once saw a blind DJ in one of the DMC videos - I think it was 1996 or 1997 world champs video. But dude was nice, had tape on his records so he could feel the cue points, and had mad nice cuts too...

• There is a dj here in Amsterdam called Missing links (Dutch for left) he misses a left arm. gotta give him props for that name . A really nice guy too but i didn't hear him play yet heard he's pretty good , plays all kinds of funky stuff from the old to the new.

Oh just find this info on him..

Plays since: 1997
    Style: Eclectic soulful dance music
    (House, US Garage, Latin, Broken Beat, Soul, Funk, Disco)

Plays at: Hotel Arena, Club More, Supperclub, 020, Sinners, Panama, XS2 and a number of bars and lounges.
    Missing Links started spinning records in 1997. As a drummer, he had always been a great lover of music and from the first moment he started visiting club, he knew he rather made music than danced to it. As so many others, he started playing at school parties etc. and bought his first 12"-es in the meantime. Primarily fascinated by the complex rhythmic structures he bought mostly drum&bass. This ended up in his first regular gig, at club Mazzo???s Friday night.
    In 2000 however, Missing Links got disappointed with the drum&bass scene. "Musical progression wasn???t there anymore. It was all about new, newer, newest and hard, harder, hardest", he says. Searching for true soul, it was eventually deephouse/us-garage and the open-minded community surrounding this subgenre, that attracted him.
    Meanwhile, Missing Links tries to put as less restrictions as possible upon himself. House-related sub-genres like broken beat and nu-jazz, but also old soul, funk and disco are blended often into a house-set. There are also enough plans for the near and distant future, but ???making more music??? and ???organising more own events??? are on top of the list!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    There is a Reggae Dancehall DJ out here in the bay area that has one arm. He's pretty good.

He has two arms, actually, but one doesn't appear to be functional. I've never asked him about it (since it's none of my biz, really), but he always keeps it in his pocket.

And he's a very, very good DJ, super knowledgeable, friendly, and owns the best reggae store in the Bay (Wisdom Records).

That';s right he keeps in it his jacket pocket. He's pretty good. This dude we grew uop with had a disfunctional right arm but he had a wicked hook shot on the basketball court.

• wonkawonka 84 Posts
    Theres a dude in Chicago named DJ One Armed and Dangerous who plays house music.

Pretty impressive to watch...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    not a one-handed dj, but my local w??rstchen lady is one-armed. she sells curry wurst. it's a specialty over here. she makes the best wurst ever. one-armed. she puts the buns under her armpit when she's making hotdogs (no lie).

• are there any blind djs/prducers? always wondered this cuz so many great musicians are/were blind. but it doesnt seem that possible.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    are there any blind djs/prducers? always wondered this cuz so many great musicians are/were blind. but it doesnt seem that possible.

Blind Rob

DJ Styles (from this board) works with him

• If I was in a bind I'd do it, no problem. Like i broke collar bone or something. A little akward but not too hard. I used to practice beat juggling one handed, now I realize it was a good practice. When it comes to making money, gotta be able to adapt.

• One of the guys at Record Mania in Stockholm DJ's with one arm. Is that Lars or is that a different guy? I forget. Never actually saw him spinning records, but I think Cool Chris said he is apparently not to be fucked with on the wheels of steel.

• WHAT? The drummer of Def Leppard DJ's????

• I believe Krafty Kuts from the UK has missing fingers following a work related accident. Think he used his compensation to set up his record shop & further his career..