Jarhead

2»

Comments

• yawn. replace that with this

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Lot of girls going to go see this movie. Jake Gyllenhaal gets nekkid in it.

DUDE

"my girl doesnt even watch movies, and when i said jake gyllenhall was in this she was like (makes dreamy face)" - cosmo on friday

What can I say?

You (and I, as I am in the same boat) can use this as credit towards seeing that next flick where jessica alba has full on frontal....

Other than that, there is NOTHING TO BE DONE

My wife is rolling to see that shit tonight.

super

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

yawn. replace that with this

yawn to deer hunter???? that movie is unfuckwitable. and what about Platoon and Born on the 4th of July, which might be my 2 favs.

Big Co-Sign on the Kubrick/Douglas movie. One of the best anti-war flicks ever made.

yawn to deer hunter???? that movie is unfuckwitable. and what about Platoon and Born on the 4th of July, which might be my 2 favs.
    yeah man i thought it was the most boring pieces of shit i've ever seen.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

yawn. replace that with this

yeah man i thought it was the most boring pieces of shit i've ever seen. wow, even the scenes in Vietnam? thats one powerful ass movie man. maybe you should watch it again. the scene where there all in the bar, and dude starts playin the piano gives me chills everytime

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    this shit was dope:

and this shit was amazing:

better than American Beauty IMO, it's not fucking Top Gun, kids, it's ill

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    and just to fuck with you all:

• i saw Good Night and Good Luck today...that was good.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I didn't know this was film school...

• i didnt read all the replies to this thread..but from the trailor..it looks pretty ill. i hope it is because I might actually pay 8 bucks to see it. someone warn me via PM if im making a mistake! nad if u do warn me..recommend something else

• I saw it last night. I thought it was really good. It is not an action movie by far. It tells a great personal story. The Gulf War, in terms of the ground campaign, was nil. Theses Marines were basically trained to kill, hyped up about how savage Saddam was, and how well tranied and experieced his troops were. Then basically the ground troops were just plopped in the desert and waited around for half a year doing nothing. When Shield became Storm, they didn't have a chance to use their skills, because the air campaign was so quick and massive, and the Iraqi "Elite Guard" weren't so elite after all. It really must have been frustrating for them, and this movie plays on that remarkably well.

+ Roger Deakins cinematography was DOPE AS HELL.

Worth seeing if you are not looking for a shoot em' up fest.

• my girl read the book and explained to me the concept of a "field fuck" in which the jarheads randomnly pick someone in their platoon (or whatever it's called) and all take turns fucking him...

does the movie follow this part of the book?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    movie looked maaaaaaaaaaaaaad corny based on the preview

• my girl read the book and explained to me the concept of a "field fuck" in which the jarheads randomnly pick someone in their platoon (or whatever it's called) and all take turns fucking him...

does the movie follow this part of the book?

yes. quite a funny scene too. overall a pretty good movie. not really an action movie but it is pretty good.

• we watched a bootleg lastnight and it was godawful.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    we watched a bootleg[/b] lastnight and it was godawful.
    Hmmm... I wonder why.

The movie is cool. Not pro-war nor anti-war, so I know most of y'all would dig it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I read the book and it was fantastic. did i say that already? i can't wait to see the movie, although the preveiws make it look like some hoorah go go marines shit, i get the feeling its gonne be better. except that it was done by the dude that did american pie, which is one of the worst movies EVAR.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I read the book and it was fantastic. did i say that already? i can't wait to see the movie, although the preveiws make it look like some hoorah go go marines shit, i get the feeling its gonne be better. except that it was done by the dude that did american pie, which is one of the worst movies EVAR.

i think it's worth the money. yeah, you get some of that 'semper fi' fodder going on in the movie but overall it's a good movie. something you can relate to.

BTW, the part of the movie where they're running around in MOPP 3 is fucked up and brought back some bad memories.

BTW, the part of the movie where they're running around in MOPP 3 is fucked up and brought back some bad memories.

ugggggggh....... the only good thing about a pro mask is that if you are in the prone position you can rest the mouth part on the top of an m16 and catch a pretty good nap without getting caught.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

haha. that was american beauty. not american pie, knothead. yeah, i was worried about the hoorah marine side too, but honestly it's not there. i highly recommend it, diz. you'd dig this shit.

haha. that was american beauty. not american pie, knothead. yeah, i was worried about the hoorah marine side too, but honestly it's not there. i highly recommend it, diz. you'd dig this shit.

oh yeah, thats what i meant! american beauty! that movie sucked donkey balls.

ps hooo-rah. hahaha.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    oh yeah, thats what i meant! american beauty! that movie sucked donkey balls.

yes and yes.

• "my girl doesnt even watch movies, and when i said jake gyllenhall was in this she was like (makes dreamy face)" - cosmo on friday

HAHA! quote of the day

i think I will wait for this on video or catch a matinee. It looks kinda over-the-top from the trailer and i didn't like the narration in the commercial. "See that jarhead there....that's me!" seems kinda corny and Michael Bay-ish to me. then my roommate told me that it rips off the Full Metal Jacket format of bootcamp first half/ battle second half.

three kings had a sorry ass trailer though and i was actually surprised at how subversive and strange it was when i actually saw it so is Jarhead kinda the same thing?

i am not attracted to Jake Gyllenhaal so maybe that is my prob

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

"my girl doesnt even watch movies, and when i said jake gyllenhall was in this she was like (makes dreamy face)" - cosmo on friday

HAHA! quote of the day

i think I will wait for this on video or catch a matinee. It looks kinda over-the-top from the trailer and i didn't like the narration in the commercial. "See that jarhead there....that's me!" seems kinda corny and Michael Bay-ish to me. then my roommate told me that it rips off the Full Metal Jacket format of bootcamp first half/ battle second half.

three kings had a sorry ass trailer though and i was actually surprised at how subversive and strange it was when i actually saw it so is Jarhead kinda the same thing?

i am not attracted to Jake Gyllenhaal so maybe that is my prob

It's weird, I hate most trailers, but I was looking forward to seeing "Jarhead" based almost entirely on the nighttime oil fire shots and a few lines of snappy dialog. However, in true Michael Bay form, most of the good parts were in the trailer.

This movie had no real rhythm. There were quite a few parts that really dragged too, like when all the marines did the faux gay-shit in front of some war reporters.

I didn't read the book. It sounded good, but I bet it was better as a book, not a moive. After seeing this movie, I can't believe why Sam Mendes would choose this. Like many critics have said, it's a war movie with no war. I like movies would unconventional dramatic arcs but this one just didn't work. It is no where in the same league as other war movies like "Apocolypse Now" and "The Deer Hunter," both of which the characters in the movie watched -- sort of, in the case of the latter, in one of movie's funny-sad scenes.

I wish I would have skipped this movie and just waited for the Johnny Cash movie or that political oil drama with George Clooney.