Peak Oil? Fuck that

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Fuel's paradise? Power source that turns physics on its head?? Scientist says device disproves quantum theory?? Opponents claim idea is result of wrong maths http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,3605,1627424,00.html[/url]It seems too good to be true: a new source of near-limitless power that costs virtually nothing, uses tiny amounts of water as its fuel and produces next to no waste. If that does not sound radical enough, how about this: the principle behind the source turns modern physics on its head.Randell Mills, a Harvard University medic who also studied electrical engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, claims to have built a prototype power source that generates up to 1,000 times more heat than conventional fuel. Independent scientists claim to have verified the experiments and Dr Mills says that his company, Blacklight Power, has tens of millions of dollars in investment lined up to bring the idea to market. And he claims to be just months away from unveiling his creation.The problem is that according to the rules of quantum mechanics, the physics that governs the behaviour of atoms, the idea is theoretically impossible. "Physicists are quite conservative. It's not easy to convince them to change a theory that is accepted for 50 to 60 years. I don't think [Mills's] theory should be supported," said Jan Naudts, a theoretical physicist at the University of Antwerp.

Comments

• There's really no reason why hes not right. Quantum physics is incredibly accurate and successful, but I think it would be arrogant to assume we've got it a hundred percent accurate (the theory even says its not accurate). But from what I can tell though, this guy Mills is saying some things that are very bizzare.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• There's really no reason why hes not right. Quantum physics is incredibly accurate and successful, but I think it would be arrogant to assume we've got it a hundred percent accurate (the theory even says its not accurate). But from what I can tell though, this guy Mills is saying some things that are very bizzare. [/b]

I can power 6 city blocks at 83.294723% capacity with the power of my robot dance[/b]

Seriously though, that Blacklight stuff reads like a collection of words pulled at random from several poorly written physics textbooks

BlackLight Power Inc., is the pioneer of technology based on the patented process of releasing chemical energy from hydrogen called the "BlackLight Process." More specifically, energy is released as the electrons of hydrogen atoms are induced by a catalyst to transition to lower-energy levels (i.e. drop to lower base orbits around each atom's nucleus) corresponding to fractional quantum numbers.[/b] The lower-energy atomic hydrogen product called "hydrino" reacts with another reactant supplied to the reaction cell to form a hydride ion bound to the other reactant to constitute a novel proprietary compound. As hydrogen atoms are normally found bound together as molecules, molecular hydrogen is dissociated into atomic hydrogen in the cell by a hot metal catalyst, by a glow discharge plasma, or a microwave plasma. A gaseous catalyst is formed from a source of catalyst by the exemplary methods of heating a nonvolatile catalyst such as potassium metal to form atomic potassium catalysts or by ionizing a gas such as helium to form catalyst. The catalyst causes the normal hydrogen atoms to transition to lower-energy states by allowing their electrons to fall to smaller radii around the nucleus with a release of energy that is intermediate between chemical and nuclear energies.[/b] The reaction creates or greatly intensifies a plasma (a hot ionized glowing gas). The products are power, plasma, light, and proprietary novel compounds.

"Fractional Quantum Numbers"??? "Lower-Energy states"??? Tell me, why are these lower energy states not populated in the hydrogen surrounding us in everyday life? And once hydrogen enters this state, how does it return to the real everyday groundstates we're familiar with in the real world?

• There's really no reason why hes not right. Quantum physics is incredibly accurate and successful, but I think it would be arrogant to assume we've got it a hundred percent accurate (the theory even says its not accurate). But from what I can tell though, this guy Mills is saying some things that are very bizzare. [/b]

I can power 6 city blocks at 83.294723% capacity with the power of my robot dance[/b]

Seriously though, that Blacklight stuff reads like a collection of words pulled at random from several poorly written physics textbooks

BlackLight Power Inc., is the pioneer of technology based on the patented process of releasing chemical energy from hydrogen called the "BlackLight Process." More specifically, energy is released as the electrons of hydrogen atoms are induced by a catalyst to transition to lower-energy levels (i.e. drop to lower base orbits around each atom's nucleus) corresponding to fractional quantum numbers.[/b] The lower-energy atomic hydrogen product called "hydrino" reacts with another reactant supplied to the reaction cell to form a hydride ion bound to the other reactant to constitute a novel proprietary compound. As hydrogen atoms are normally found bound together as molecules, molecular hydrogen is dissociated into atomic hydrogen in the cell by a hot metal catalyst, by a glow discharge plasma, or a microwave plasma. A gaseous catalyst is formed from a source of catalyst by the exemplary methods of heating a nonvolatile catalyst such as potassium metal to form atomic potassium catalysts or by ionizing a gas such as helium to form catalyst. The catalyst causes the normal hydrogen atoms to transition to lower-energy states by allowing their electrons to fall to smaller radii around the nucleus with a release of energy that is intermediate between chemical and nuclear energies.[/b] The reaction creates or greatly intensifies a plasma (a hot ionized glowing gas). The products are power, plasma, light, and proprietary novel compounds.

"Fractional Quantum Numbers"??? "Lower-Energy states"??? Tell me, why are these lower energy states not populated in the hydrogen surrounding us in everyday life? And once hydrogen enters this state, how does it return to the real everyday groundstates we're familiar with in the real world?

the lower energy states are in the 'branes. Duh.

• Fractional Quantum Numbers"??? "Lower-Energy states"??? Tell me, why are these lower energy states not populated in the hydrogen surrounding us in everyday life? And once hydrogen enters this state, how does it return to the real everyday groundstates we're familiar with in the real world?

sounds far fetched, but if you take that crap at face value then the answers to your questions are:

1) the lower energy states are not populated in the hydrogren surrounding us in everyday life because the hydrogen around us is molecular and not atomic, the electrons are up to other shit and have not been induced into the lower energy states.

2) it returns to its everyday ground state by being freed from the environmental conditions causing it to enter the lower energy state. ie. the catalysts are removed and the atomic hydrogen recomposes itself into the familiar hydrogen molecule.

biggest indicator that this shit is a hoax: bush, the sauds, and exxon haven't offed the dude yet.

• biggest indicator that this shit is a hoax: bush, the sauds, and exxon haven't offed the dude yet.

cosign...