NEIL YOUNG

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
whats the deal with this hommie? never quite got his music. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• autezautez 404 Posts
    one of my favorutiest artists of all time. he just makes good music. sounds good knawmean

• one of my favorutiest artists of all time. he just makes good music. sounds good knawmean
    hmmm. the voice sounds like an old lady humming. but some songwriting is dope.
    peace, stein. . .

• I felt the same way until I heard "On the Beach"

• I love Neil Young - you've gotta listen to a few albums and see which period hooks you in. I like Deja Vu (CSN&Y), Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Harvest, After the Goldrush, there are so so many good albums in his catalogue (plus a couple of stinkers like Reactor).

Even his recent pieces like Silver and Gold and Greendale stand head and shoulders about other big commercial rock albums in terms of listenability in the long term.

JB

• The Dead Man soundtrack is fantastic. He improvised the entire thing and it was all done in one take. They locked him into a private cinema with a bunch of instruments and equipment and he composed the entire thing while watching the film for the first time!

Reccommended film as well.

- J

• He is one of my favorite artists.

This is the album that really made me like neil young. Perfect chillin out on a fall day kind of record. The song writing is great and the production is incredible. I would love to know what they did in the studio to make the drums sound so full.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    He is one of my favorite artists.

This is the album that really made me like neil young. Perfect chillin out on a fall day kind of record. The song writing is great and the production is incredible. I would love to know what they did in the studio to make the drums sound so full.

"Harvest moon" makes my life feel like a Mastercard commercial. What a song.

• Sorry my man, but you can't live on sugar mountain with the barkers and the colored balloons. Live Rust has to be one of the best live albums ever made.

• All the stuff he did with Crazyhorse is solid. I saw them when Sonic Youth was the opening act, the folkies in the crowd didn't know to shit or go blind.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    time fades away
    tonights the night
    on the beach
    zuma

those cannot be fucked with one iota

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    dude is DUDE.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I felt the same way until I heard "On the Beach"

Great record.

• one of my favorutiest artists of all time. he just makes good music. sounds good knawmean

• I only have really listened to that song "Old man lying by the side of the road." Makes me cry.

The first time I really "got" Neil Young was on a lazy sunday afternoon in Santa Barbara, lying in bed with the window open, post-coital, and my neighbor put on that song. Damn. What a memeory.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    lying in bed with the window open, post-coital, and my neighbor put on that song. Damn. What a memeory.

You fucked your neighbor?

• lying in bed with the window open, post-coital, and my neighbor put on that song. Damn. What a memeory.

You fucked your neighbor?

oof, my neighbr was a dude, literally he was the dude from lebowski. No job, unemployed, on schizo medicine, fat pot belly, long hair, smoked joints on the porch, he even made a record in 1981 that he gave me. But no, I didnt fuck him.

• Is this pic of a poster that you have or have seen? I have to get my hands on that.

As for neil, you need to be in the right mood to listen to him, but if you are, no one beats him. He's not the most technically gifted guitar player, but he makes up for it with emotion.

• The song "On the Beach" has made me cry.

I even like this one:

I know, I know. This whole post was

• I love Neil Young - you've gotta listen to a few albums and see which period hooks you in.

The one that hooked me was "Zuma"-- a couple of the songs are just so funky to me-- but I celebrate almost his entire catalog. He writes melodies so well that after a little bit of listening I learned to love his voice. Pretty much all of his 70s LPs are great other than "Journey Through the Past" and "Stars 'n' Bars." I've never gotten into "Tonight's the Night," but I'm in the minority there.

• Pretty much all of his 70s LPs are great other than "Journey Through the Past" and "Stars 'n' Bars."

i think Stars n Bars is absolutely and completely great.
    i think my favorite LP might be After the GOld Rush.

i think this might be in Shakey, but the thing about Neil Young is that his songs are so structurally solid. the dude, somehow, really knows how to write a song. Strong melodies, chord progressions, lyrics, are almost always in evidence.

one of my all time favorite Neil songs is Thrasher. but its impossible to pick a favorite- so many good ones.

• "Zuma"

YES. "Danger Bird" is that ultimate business. It's recently replaced
    "Cortez The Killer" as my solo weed/beer/reflection anthem.

Mr. Young has been on Conan O' Brien all week.
    Last night he did "The Needle and The Damage Done" solo.

Speaking of, Danny Whitten's playing on the first Crazy Horse LP is
    something else. RIP.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Neil Young is one of a kind.

castles burning

• autezautez 404 Posts

The first time I really "got" Neil Young was on a lazy sunday afternoon in Santa Barbara, lying in bed with the window open, post-coital, and my neighbor put on that song. Damn. What a memeory.
    yup. hungover on a sunday afternoon laying in bed is one of my favouritest ways to listen to neil young. preferably with a female companion

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

DUDE

I just put that one on after many moons. I think I was only barely feeling one electronoodley track and its in my sale/trade bin now.

• One of the best song writers evar! This dude's appreciation post should go on for pages! Anyone like his America stuff? My moms put me on to "A Horse with No Name" bless her heart.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    One of the best song writers evar! This dude's appreciation post should go on for pages! Anyone like his America stuff? My moms put me on to "A Horse with No Name" bless her heart.

TIN MAN

• Neil Young was not in America

• will to love-american stars and bars
    through my sails-zuma
    cortez the killer-zuma
    look out for my love-comes a time
    after the gold rush ( entire lp )
    harvest ( entire lp )
    round and round-everyone knows this is nowhere
    csn&y ( various material )

this dude is sick.

ap