SP-303 hype

2»

Comments

• i've only fucked with a couple 202's... they can't do a whole helluvalot, but they are fun. i'm totally down with artists using limited machines like these to create with. restrictions can be a good thing when it comes to the whole creative process.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Yes I think restrictions are a good thing. It forces you to be creative and do what you have to to make some dope shit. I think that's why the SP1200 is so great cause it's so limited with memory and function like you have to use your ears a lot more to edit your sound unlike other samplers where you can see sound waves to cut and chop your shit. And well some of the best beats ever produced were done on that machine. Limits are-

• Chopping drums on the 202: NOT RECOMMENDED!

Great for beat/phrase loops and/or additional sounds during DJ sets though.

• didn't think fools were going to get all snobby on me when someone like Odub posted about Jay Z the other day and shit.
    what does that even mean?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    didn't think fools were going to get all snobby on me when someone like Odub posted about Jay Z the other day and shit.

That means that Odub, no disrespect to Odub cause I know him actually posted about Jay Z the other day which I would think would offend a lot of purists on this site but no one gave a shit. But I post a simple 303 question and people get offended. Didn't expect that at all

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Didn't expect that at all
    Don't trip...we're some moody bitches in here...

• didn't think fools were going to get all snobby on me when someone like Odub posted about Jay Z the other day and shit.

That means that Odub, no disrespect to Odub cause I know him actually posted about Jay Z the other day which I would think would offend a lot of purists on this site but no one gave a shit. But I post a simple 303 question and people get offended. Didn't expect that at all
    what's wrong with jay-z? this ain't backpackers.com/forums or some shit...

Obviously you have only been reading your own posts because this makes no sense.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I think the Original poster makes a really good point. Theres a massive amount of hype around that machine. Its really weird.

It basicly went from the "dr. sample" to the "Sp-303" overnight. Its a very basic machine. Ive no doubt that you CAN make a dope beat on one of them, but by no means is it a dream machine.

Ultimately it doesnt matter at all what you use, but people shouldnt think that this discontinued entry level drum machine will be able to do as much as an mpc, or even a basic computer program.

Im waiting for madlib to start saying he only makes beats with a pair of wooden spoons and an automated voicemail box.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    This ain't backpackers.com/forums or some shit...
    Haha I love people who use the term backpacker. So newbie cliche it's

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I think the Original poster makes a really good point. Theres a massive amount of hype around that machine. Its really weird.

It basicly went from the "dr. sample" to the "Sp-303" overnight. Its a very basic machine. Ive no doubt that you CAN make a dope beat on one of them, but by no means is it a dream machine.

Ultimately it doesnt matter at all what you use, but people shouldnt think that this discontinued entry level drum machine will be able to do as much as an mpc, or even a basic computer program.

Im waiting for madlib to start saying he only makes beats with a pair of wooden spoons and an automated voicemail box.

Hype factor+price is the selling point
    A lot of young cats (like myself) have no$$$ and are getting started in the producing. Madlib interviews presented this as a you can do a lot of shit with it if you know how to use it.
    Thus people looking at an introduction to beat making/looping (like your friend). just pick it up as a starter to learn, not spend to much dough and still have a machine that will be useful.
    I use it to play loops for my friends to jam to (5th memeber of the band) as well as a plugin instruments for effects. But mostly as a trigger. Pads is the shit compared to computers. However if your friend is into computers the trigga finga is also an option

• to answer the question, it depends on what you are looking to do....i messed with the 303 when they first came out and it was then what it is to me today(even after hearing countless cats saying its sooooooo underrated)...nothing more than a good scratch pad for beats or a quick on the fly sample trigger, honestly, sure you can edit samples, add effects, sequence, and yes make songs, but you are limited,i checked the 404 after hearing about it at the shop and after messing with it for about an hour, realized the only plus is its battery powered(like the 1000 should be)..anyway ive used asr 10s and mpcs for years and the 303 is honestly a toy compared to those(obviously) , so if your just looking to mess around and throw some loops together the 303 may be your thing,...if your trying to make songs with mad chops,multiple layered samples, sequence changes, and different trigger types, it can be done, but save your self a huge headache and time and skip this machine. peace
    Yeah this about sums it up. I got one of them SP-808(I'm assuming the 303 got a lot of the same type of features, the effects and sampling minus the digital 4 track) joint layin around at the crib, it's cool, but it's more for workin with loops. It doesn't chop so nice as my MPC. I mean it's kinda like cool to make beats diffrent ways, the journey can be as fun as the finished project. Trying diffrent styles can create diffrent results. Straight up, a dope loop is a dope loop, on the other hand chopping and layering and sequencing are ill fo sho. I would equate that to don't get caught up in technique(yet be mindful of it), get caught up in what moves the soul. But on the real the MPC is a way better sequencer. The rolands flow in areas is not as smooth as other machines. I still mess with it all the time and like it, but it's probably only cause it's a machine I'm familiar with. It took a lot more to get really going with that one in comparison to my MPC. Of course no piece of equipment beats a good turntable. After having 1200's for years I came up on a set of PDX2000 for $400. + - 50 on pitch. Reverse. Straight tonearm. It's nuts cuz you can really change shit up at the source before you sample.

• Im waiting for madlib to start saying he only makes beats with a pair of wooden spoons and an automated voicemail box.

Oh SNAP! You got that leaked beat tape too!?!?!???? Shit is off the hooook!

I've always been a bit confused by the hype aroud the 303. Sure it's relatively cheap, and it has been used by some big producers (ok... mainly just lib), but it's a pretty frustrating machine when it really comes down to it. I always thought it was better suited for air horn and gun shot sounds dropped in dj sets?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    it was better suited for air horn and gun shot sounds dropped in dj sets

• dayday 9,611 Posts

yo, I see you foolio iglesias

isn't there a cheaper machine than that for drops and samples? I can't think of the name, but I remember seeing some long $99 sampler a while back.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

yo, I see you foolio iglesias

Whattup dogs? I'm home again drinking cranberry wine. Shit's the bomb. Off to Philly manana.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    do that - i've been out sipping Stella's and eating pesto pizza talking politics and racism with random people.

I'll get you those in a day or 2. Have a good gig man.

And don't forget:

folks in Argentina aint havin' it

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah what the fuck is going on? I'm dumb disconnected for the past week or so.