MOBB DEEP interview from VIBE

2»

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i thought it was pretty good on the whole. the track with the "power of zeus" drums is

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I dunno 50's last album was skip skip play skip skip skip play skip skip skip play - give it to my homie (no burned copy archive).

50 drops dope singles, but beyond that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I think you mean, 50 hides a few good cuts deep in the album; the singles were the worst thing about his last record.

Ski Mask Way is THAT shit!

peace...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

i wasnt impresed with the full length soundtrack though, most of it was snooze-able. only thing saving it is young buck, his solo joint on the record is RIDICULOUS

Too bad you think so.I thought the last 2 G-Unit radio mixtapes as well as the soundtrack were incredible.G-UNIT FANBOY 4 LIFE.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I dunno 50's last album was skip skip play skip skip skip play skip skip skip play - give it to my homie (no burned copy archive).

50 drops dope singles, but beyond that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I think you mean, 50 hides a few good cuts deep in the album; the singles were the worst thing about his last record.

Ski Mask Way is THAT shit!

peace...

That's what I'm saying. It was the best cut on there, but it was not a single.

If I may remind you dudes, the singles were "Disco Inferno," "Candy Shoppe" and "Just a Li'l Bit," all of which were garbage.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Moreover, why is working hard for your boss dickriding? If you go get a new job, your new boss bonuses you heavy, takes you out, maybe hits you with some stock immediately, raises you significantly from your last salary, you're gonna be all full of talk about how great this new company is. Your boss expects that in return. Then again if you see it as rap shit (rather than money, employment, business) and you work hourly maybe you can't hide the hate. DAMN I WISH RAPPERS STAYED BROKE

Some a yall is so small time.

And Mobb Deep will make a better record than they have in years. I don't see why anyone would be mad at that.

I will never give up my dignity for money. So, Paycheck, your dignity is for hire, huh? A man that will sell his ass will sell his soul too! This mentality displays a lack of character and represents what is largely wrong with U.S. society. No one has principled "limits". "All is good if it provides gain" is a terrible principle by which to live.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

In what way does anything I said have to do with giving up dignity?

Hey Paycheck,

Well, as an artist, wouldn't an important part of his/her dignity involve expressing themselves artistically? Isn't this aim compromised when 50 picks their beats/songs and leads them around by the nose? The idea of veteran artists like Mobb Deep cow-towing to some johnny-come-lately comes across as steppin'-and-fetchin', don't you think? To be reduced to this after so many years of grinding in the business is light years beyond deameaning. It's sad!!!! A show of dignity would be to record on their own label, using proceeds from their career, and do what they want without kissing 50's ass.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

It seems like you're heavily prejudiced against recording for a label. Some folks prefer that. It's just a financial decision man. When you sign to a record label, you are going to have people that have the say about your record. You could have it be timmy jamband who sees that rap makes big money but doesn't understand a thing about it, or you could have it be 50 cent, who knows how to make hit records and is gonna make you very successful. That's if you decide to record for a major label.

But think: are you sure how much "proceeds" they had before this deal? It's a nice pie-in-the-sky to start one's own label and live off the fat, but without much of the latter how are you going to market and promote your record? It takes a lot of money. How are you going to get the access to distribution, to stores, to promotion, to radio, to touring? All of that takes money and power. Quite frankly this is the kind of thing I explain to youngsters getting in the rap game, not a guy my age or older who should know better.

More importantly, it's not everyone's dream or vision to record in obscurity and live life for the art. Many people - most people - want people to hear their music and buy it, resulting in success for them both musically and financially. I don't see a damn thing wrong with this, but clearly you do. So, to follow your logic, should H&P (who have been recording since they were teens) go out and get a real world job, maybe get some degrees so they can work at a university, and record in their spare time thus preserving the art's integrity? Or should they continue to find the best deal that a major label (read: financial corporation, bank, etc) will propose? I think the clear answer is the latter.

Sorry if I'm a little harsh, but I kind of got offended by you calling my integrity into question based on what I said.

Hey Jonny,

I actually agree with you, and I do know the ins and outs of the running a label. My question is what did those guys do with their money. Given the clout they once had in the industry, they could have made that happen. It's just weird to read them to talk about a newjack with such deference. They're the veterans, not 50. It's like a 20-year account executive being supervised by a 25-year old. I find it demeaning. I understand the "sting" in your response. I did come at you rather aggressively. It's all love, man!!!! I know you can handle it!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

i wasnt impresed with the full length soundtrack though, most of it was snooze-able. only thing saving it is young buck, his solo joint on the record is RIDICULOUS

Too bad you think so.I thought the last 2 G-Unit radio mixtapes as well as the soundtrack were incredible.G-UNIT FANBOY 4 LIFE.

im a fan as well, but i guess it just wasnt what i was expecting, but i should have known better. hes just marketing the new artists with this record, not necessarily dropping shit of epic proportions. i was hoping for some aftermath dudes (ie. stat quo, obie trice, eminem) on there not just g unit, more of the 8mile soundtrack type steez. it was decent though, i wasnt feeling the nate dogg joint or the MOP joint...but there are some bangers on there

that "things change" joint is MELTING MY FACE OFF with the sorcerer drums, posse cuts yessur.

what do people think of spider loc? im on the fence

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yo stacks--have you checked the Dangerdoom thread?

in the grand scheme of integrity, Mobb Deep workin for 50 Cent pales in comparison to Doom gettin paid to do entire tracks about cartoon characters.

He will offically resurrect the West Coast and outshine(note i didn't say SELL)Game.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i was hoping for some aftermath dudes (ie. stat quo, obie trice, eminem)

C'mon, man--you'd rather hear those dudes over the current G-Unit roster?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    it's just a little weird to me. if they were some brand-spankin' new jacks getting scooped up by 50 that would be one thing. but to see the original QB gunclapper soldiers on some "Sir, yes sir! I will be not be doing a guest shot with him! Sir!" shit is odd. i'm not mad at them for wanting to get paid, i guess i just would have liked to see them blow on their own.

that, and i'm not looking forward to 30-something North Side trixies coming up and asking me to play Mobb Deep. that ain't proper, dunny.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

He will offically resurrect the West Coast and outshine(note i didn't say SELL)Game.

with all due respect...

HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

that is all

It could happen

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i wouldn't be surprised if dudes cd is never released....

he has how many artist in front of him?

and at the rate 50 is going, 50 will no longer be important in 2 years

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    50 will no longer be important in 2 years

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    "All is good if it provides gain" is a terrible principle by which to live.

HEAVY.

and very nicely phrased.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Are you really saying 50 cent doesn't have a "good ear" for choosing beats? talk.
    I personally don't like a lot of the production 50 has. I think the good stuff Dre did, and then there is some other very repedative bullshit (and yes, his voice is the majority of it).

But Prodigy and Havoc are also very boring rappers. They are dope over the right type of cuts (just like 50) but they suffer from the same problems 50 does... on the wrong beat they are zzzzz. And I think that lately 50 has been very wrong.

I'll be interested to hear what beats Havoc cooks up, but I don't trust 50's ear, especially in combination with the lyrical HP sauce .

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Are you really saying 50 cent doesn't have a "good ear" for choosing beats? talk.

I'm not sure if 50 is executive producing everything these days but on the dvd released in conjuntion with "get rich & die trying" he sounded very similar to Prodigy and said that Dre made all the decisions about what beats to use etc.