Black Panthers are a Negative violent organization

Comments

• slushslush 691 Posts
    that shit is magma level and is as abundant as can be.

im not going to call this outlandish, but is this just a hunch or what? I'm just curious ive never really heard this theory before.

• that shit is magma level and is as abundant as can be.

im not going to call this outlandish, but is this just a hunch or what? I'm just curious ive never really heard this theory before.

That theory has been put forth actually by a lot of neocon lackeys, in response to peak oil alarmists who say we'll all be fucked by 2010.

• I don't know how much oil people think we have, but the Black Panthers were a great organization and most of the violence that was attributed to them should be viewed in perspective with the massive multi-dimensional violence that owning class people have inflicted on poor people. As well the FACT that the organization was heavily infultrated by agent provocatuers should be taken into account. Racism is the lynch pin holding this cycle of violence and poverty in place.

Black and white people make blunders and triumphs. Arguing the merits of actions of an organization 3 decades ago is so abstract and useless. Spend some time getting involved with something meaningful today. Leave your CPU and make some friends who you never would think to make; and hang in there with the friendship when it gets tough. I'm not saying go out and make friends with OSAMA or Cheney, find someone with some of their humanity intact.

It's not easy being uncomfortable but we will never be able to have real freedom unless we take the first step towards peace. Building trust and friendship across class, and cultural lines is a great step.

There is no scientifically viable definition of race.

Racism should die.

PS I find it hard to believe that there is so much oil inder the earth. You need to get out of your SUV and walk off some of that sixpack. That shit's getting the better of your reasoning ability.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    the black panthers were a very, very complicated and contradictory orginazation. you can't sum it up in yea nay.

with that being said your professor is a dumb ass.

vitamin... i know we both like modern soul and thats cool but you gotta take your pro war shit somewhere else. were not having it today.

your multi-paragraph off center rants are annoying and lame.

the war in iraq sucks and is completly unjust. don't give my any of that liberating the people of iraq bullshit either. people die by the ten's of thousands in the sudan and bush could give a rats ass. its all about domanation and control ( as if we did not already know this ).

ap

I fully endorse this AP response.[/b]

• [are you against all wars like this or just wish Bush would wage more of them or wage them more honestly? in other words, are you opposed to Bush's decision to invade Iraq or opposed to his decision not to invade Sudan? if Bush was serious about liberating people and didn't do so selectively (based on oil, other geopolitical considerations, HIS OWN NARROW ECONOMIC INTERESTS AND THAT OF THIS CRONIES, etc.) would you be opposed to his actions? just curious if people here are against the very idea of invading a sovereign nation for whatever reason, or are merely against Bush and the current Iraq war.

great question rootless...
    i'd like to hear a whole lot of you answer this question

I wish Bush would stop waging war, and if he's not going to do that at least be honest and consistent in regard to his reasons why. As to the hypothetical:

if Bush was serious about liberating people and didn't do so selectively [/b]

...he's not, and isn't, so it's not relevant.
    Opposition to invasion of "sovereign nations" , much like adherence to the Geneva conventions, is as much for our own benefit as it is for the countries we engage in war.

I am against Bush, but for many more reasons than the invasion/occupation of Iraq.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Before we spin totally away from Black Panther talk here. Can someone please tell me why this book and this man are celebrated? I've always found this piece of non-fiction to be filled with disgusting bullshit ("I raped black women to practice raping white women")

Eldridge Cleaver is a piece of shit who had no morals to stick to. If he was in power he would of been just as huge a tyrant as any other leader we've come to detest.

Seriously though why is he painted in such a good light?

Got this book on the shelf in my office - I've asked the same questions myself. Some of his obeservations are astute, but I have a hard time seeing past the rapist thing.

• PS I find it hard to believe that there is so much oil inder the earth. You need to get out of your SUV and walk off some of that sixpack. That shit's getting the better of your reasoning ability.

who you talking to? ap? someone ban this guy.

and for g*dsakes can we stop abusing these avatars? i mean,

really????

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Too many people voice their opinions in here...i sware some people shouldnt be allowed to type. Y'all should apply a simple rule : to not talk about what you are not concern with. It's all free speech in here, but i sware that's because didn't have to EARN the right to talk...Anyway. Vanguard Squad. That's all i have to say. Which is not much...granted, i can go back to my lurker mode....peace.

• if Bush was serious about liberating people and didn't do so selectively [/b]

YES IT IS!!!! It's absolutely relevant.

This time around it's an easy call to make: Bush's Iraq war was wrong. However, next time around we may need more than Bush's stupidity/ineptitude/greed to fall back on in evaluating a military action. So it's important to ask ourselves where we really stand on this issue.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Before we spin totally away from Black Panther talk here. Can someone please tell me why this book and this man are celebrated? I've always found this piece of non-fiction to be filled with disgusting bullshit ("I raped black women to practice raping white women")

Eldridge Cleaver is a piece of shit who had no morals to stick to. If he was in power he would of been just as huge a tyrant as any other leader we've come to detest.

Seriously though why is he painted in such a good light?

Got this book on the shelf in my office - I've asked the same questions myself. Some of his obeservations are astute, but I have a hard time seeing past the rapist thing.

Good to know I'm not the only one here who thought this. The rapist thng really does trump all when your talking about uprising and equality yet you can't respect women.

Does anyone know if he ever recounted for his rapes? Has Kathleen Cleaver ever spoken on this. I've looked into this, but not deep enough to know the answers

• when your talking about uprising and equality yet you can't respect women.

fascinating point. a friend of mine did a research paper on radical civil rights leaders and their mysogynistic tendencies. Fanon, MLK, etc. Is it true, however, that such feelings "trump all"? I think MLK's contributions were genuine despite his alleged womanizing ways. Anyone?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

when your talking about uprising and equality yet you can't respect women.

fascinating point. a friend of mine did a research paper on radical civil rights leaders and their mysogynistic tendencies. Fanon, MLK, etc. Is it true, however, that such feelings "trump all"? I think MLK's contributions were genuine despite his alleged womanizing ways. Anyone?

I see this thread being a 10 pager by tomorrow...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I don't know how much oil people think we have, but the Black Panthers were a great organization and most of the violence that was attributed to them should be viewed in perspective with the massive multi-dimensional violence that owning class people have inflicted on poor people. As well the FACT that the organization was heavily infultrated by agent provocatuers should be taken into account. Racism is the lynch pin holding this cycle of violence and poverty in place.

Black and white people make blunders and triumphs. Arguing the merits of actions of an organization 3 decades ago is so abstract and useless. Spend some time getting involved with something meaningful today. Leave your CPU and make some friends who you never would think to make; and hang in there with the friendship when it gets tough. I'm not saying go out and make friends with OSAMA or Cheney, find someone with some of their humanity intact.

It's not easy being uncomfortable but we will never be able to have real freedom unless we take the first step towards peace. Building trust and friendship across class, and cultural lines is a great step.

There is no scientifically viable definition of race.

Racism should die.

PS I find it hard to believe that there is so much oil inder the earth. You need to get out of your SUV and walk off some of that sixpack. That shit's getting the better of your reasoning ability.

That was a great first post.

Welcome.

• if Bush was serious about liberating people and didn't do so selectively [/b]

YES IT IS!!!! It's absolutely relevant.

This time around it's an easy call to make: Bush's Iraq war was wrong. However, next time around we may need more than Bush's stupidity/ineptitude/greed to fall back on in evaluating a military action. So it's important to ask ourselves where we really stand on this issue.

It's not relevant in relation to Bush. He has never acted with honor or integrity and as a result I would look with a jaundiced eye upon any further making of war on his part. When I see someone (else) making a legitimate case for war, in which the real[/b] welfare of the US and or the world is danger, and my bullshit detector isn't going off 24/7 (like it is when Vitamin posts) I would in theory back it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I see this thread being a 10 pager by tomorrow...

It'll be a 10 pager dealing with like 3 or 4 subjects in like 2 hours

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Does anyone know if he ever recounted for his rapes? Has Kathleen Cleaver ever spoken on this. I've looked into this, but not deep enough to know the answers

So you really haven't looked into it then.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I have, but not deep enough to find the answers I was looking for. Do you have any information that can help me along?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i'll bite.

All IMO:

Can a womanizer be a good revolutionary? Yes.

Can a rapist be a good freedom fighter? Depends on whose freedom he???s fighting for. Women???s safety, equal pay for equal work, pro-choice laws, maternity leave and free daycare were not really of concern to Cleaver.

Rape is about power, so if one feels they have no power in the world, nevermind over their own life, it is conceivable (and heinous and sad in the case of rape) that they will look for it in other places.

Did the Black Panthers??? sexist ways undermine and negate all the good they did do? No, but it sure devalues it.

Up to now, the majority of men who have fought for freedom and equality were still the products of their time ??? the fact they did not do right by women is not surprising.

Equality/respect is a macro concept to most people, not something they even practice in their day-to day lives one-on-one.

The dudes who will have no excuse are the ones coming up. It???s today???s and tomorrow???s fighters for equality and freedom that will have to have their shit right when it comes to women (and queers and the disabled and on and on).

As well, if chicks sit around, hoping for guys to come around and see the light and act right and make things better for them, then fuck-all is going to happen. Sometimes you gotta grab it because no one is going to give it up. As long as you???re not grabbing it from someone who needs it just as much or more.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

i'll bite.

All IMO:

Can a womanizer be a good revolutionary? Yes.

Can a rapist be a good freedom fighter? Depends on whose freedom he???s fighting for. Women???s safety, equal pay for equal work, pro-choice laws, maternity leave and free daycare were not really of concern to Cleaver.
    Rape is about power, so if one feels they have no power in the world, nevermind over their own life, it is conceivable (and heinous and sad) that they will look for it in other places.

Did the Black Panthers??? sexist ways undermine and negate all the good they did do? No, but it sure devalues it.

Up to now, the majority of men who have fought for freedom and equality were still the products of their time ??? the fact they did not do right by women is not surprising.

Equality/respect is a macro concept to most people, not something they even practice in their day-to day lives one-on-one.

The dudes who will have no excuse are the ones coming up. It???s today???s and tomorrow???s fighters for equality and freedom that will have to have their shit right when it comes to women (and queers and the disabled and on and on).

Good response.

Equality & respect are definitly macro concepts. Personally I feel that someone with so much dirt on their fingers can't lead the way. Not to mention Eldridge's later actions in life (80's) contridicted with his actions earlier on (60's & 70's).

I'd like to think that COINTELPRO was fully responsible for this (as I do with Huey's downfall) but I really think this was just a case of a bad man who was painted in a good light.

and Bassie I'm really feeling you on this last paragraph

As well, if chicks sit around, hoping for guys to come around and see the light and act right and make things better for them, then fuck-all is going to happen. Sometimes you gotta grab it because no one is going to give it up. As long as you???re not grabbing it from someone who needs it just as much or more.

best to take care of your own destiny, otherwise someone will go ahead and take care of it for you.

• Does anyone know if he ever recounted for his rapes? Has Kathleen Cleaver ever spoken on this. I've looked into this, but not deep enough to know the answers

I have, but not deep enough to find the answers I was looking for. Do you have any information that can help me along?

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    man, I did not expect all these subjects to blow up together...

Someone please tell me why Eldridge Cleaver is seen as such a good man?

I think that one aspect of what Eldridge, H. Rap, Malcolm, the Panthers, etc. (I know its not fair to group these men) did strengthened the SNCC by showing people the options on the table. I don't think that Eldridge or H. Rap would have made successful leaders outside of the realm they lead, but they deserve some credit for bringing about change. For this reason, their mysogeny is not as relevant. Also, I think that Malcolm showed that a radical could educate himself and change his views to become more relevant and a better as a leader (although he died before before his major changes could be acted on and because of those changes)

• Cosmo, don't hate
    You can drive but don't hate
    I happen to be opposed to cars. It's my nature as a veteran bike mssngr.
    If I can't rail against needless oil consumption on a Black Panthers thread then I don't wanna be a part of your hatism.
    I don't know you or your revered AP, I meant no disrespect to AP. However, the fact that you know what an avitar is reveals that when you were playing nintendo with your jamaican babysitter I was hitting the IND and the IRTs after seeing Scott La roc at latin quarter or Rakim at the audobon.
    I clicked on a fuckin rubiks cube, I didn't show up with a mullet or fake mohawk.
    Free Huey
    Young Lords

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

A Taste of Power

Guzzo, your response -- "I have, but not deep enough" -- is insulting to the people who actually have done the research, including neta, whose writings on the subject I have read. Write less. Read more.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    However, the fact that you know what an avitar is reveals that when you were playing nintendo with your jamaican babysitter I was hitting the IND and the IRTs after seeing Scott La roc at latin quarter or Rakim at the audobon.
    I clicked on a fuckin rubiks cube, I didn't show up with a mullet or fake mohawk.
    Free Huey
    Young Lords

Second post of the year right there.

• so what if the earth keeps churning out oil like it keeps churning out magma? there is a lot of room between the very thin crust of the earth and the core itself. the man wants you to believe all kinds of shit. that oil is scarce. that diamonds are rare. that bird flu will kill you and your family. this is a fear based propoganda machine that controls you. it makes you sit inside and watch your tv and grip about " what you really need to know ".

oil is a shitty, dirty form of energy. the powers that be want to keep you dependent on it even though other forms of energy exist. ever hear of the japanese automobile that was delveloped in the 1980's that got 150 miles per gallon? the powers that be squashed that one right quick.

it is a recorded fact that oil reserves in the gulf of mexico that were written off as tapped out have come back to life after the fact. the oil just keeps rising from deep within the earth like a spring.

we did not go into iraq to free up more oil, we went in there to stop it from flowing. it is all about supply and demand. control. i have been selling off with access 500 to 800 original pressings of john coltrane records on impulse. i trickle them out one copy of each title at a time. that is the estate of LL. that is fact. people know this and have known this for years. it is common knowledge among jazz collectors in the know. people mark these are " rare " on ebay all the time... but what does " rare " really mean? if we dumped them all at once every other day of the week making them constantly available what would happen to the price? it is the same deal with oil.

what you do not know about is the so called scarcity of something as gaurded as oil.

remember enron? remember how " scarce " and " in demand " energy was in the state of california several years ago? turned out to be quite different than everyone thought didn't it?

part of me is guilty at this moment of playing up the role of the crackpot. i love it. but i honestly believe in the distinct possibility of this theroy. i have never been a person who just bought into whatever the tv or papers told me.

if you really think that a source as prevelant and omnipresent and oil comes from fossils and bones you got a lot of thinking to do. millions of barrels a day. that is a lot of dead prehistoric animals. it is laughable. seriously now.

go angela davis and go uc santa cruz banana slugs!

ap

• 99 problems:

you are into next level nutrition and now i am hip to co-q10 ( jarrow q-absorb 100mg food source at the gasping cost of one dollar a day ).

you PM me saying you want to sell your collection and asking for copies of kupka modern dance.

thats all good.

but if you think that oil is a super scarce commodity and have no nothing of false scarcity in the world of commodites you have 100 problems, not 99.

ap

• Cosmo, don't hate
    If I can't rail against needless oil consumption on a Black Panthers thread then I don't wanna be a part of your hatism.
    I don't know you or your revered AP, I meant no disrespect to AP. However, the fact that you know what an avitar is reveals that when you were playing nintendo with your jamaican babysitter I was hitting the IND and the IRTs after seeing Scott La roc at latin quarter or Rakim at the audobon.
    Free Huey
    Young Lords

well i saw black flag pre henry at the cathy de grand so there.

• so what if the earth keeps churning out oil like it keeps churning out magma? there is a lot of room between the very thin crust of the earth and the core itself. the man wants you to believe all kinds of shit. that oil is scarce. that diamonds are rare. that bird flu will kill you and your family. this is a fear based propoganda machine that controls you. it makes you sit inside and watch your tv and grip about " what you really need to know ".

oil is a shitty, dirty form of energy. the powers that be want to keep you dependent on it even though other forms of energy exist. ever hear of the japanese automobile that was delveloped in the 1980's that got 150 miles per gallon? the powers that be squashed that one right quick.

it is a recorded fact that oil reserves in the gulf of mexico that were written off as tapped out have come back to life after the fact. the oil just keeps rising from deep within the earth like a spring.

we did not go into iraq to free up more oil, we went in there to stop it from flowing. it is all about supply and demand. control. i have been selling off with access 500 to 800 original pressings of john coltrane records on impulse. i trickle them out one copy of each title at a time. that is the estate of LL. that is fact. people know this and have known this for years. it is common knowledge among jazz collectors in the know. people mark these are " rare " on ebay all the time... but what does " rare " really mean? if we dumped them all at once every other day of the week making them constantly available what would happen to the price? it is the same deal with oil.

what you do not know about is the so called scarcity of something as gaurded as oil.

remember enron? remember how " scarce " and " in demand " energy was in the state of california several years ago? turned out to be quite different than everyone thought didn't it?

part of me is guilty at this moment of playing up the role of the crackpot. i love it. but i honestly believe in the distinct possibility of this theroy. i have never been a person who just bought into whatever the tv or papers told me.

if you really think that a source as prevelant and omnipresent and oil comes from fossils and bones you got a lot of thinking to do. millions of barrels a day. that is a lot of dead prehistoric animals. it is laughable. seriously now.

go angela davis and go uc santa cruz banana slugs!

ap

NOW THAT IS THE QUOTE OF THE YEAR
    AP FOR PRESIDENT !

[p.s. cosmo I was originally replying to 99probs]

• Cosmo, don't hate
    Free Huey
    Young Lords

well i saw black flag pre henry at the cathy de grand so there.

Word? You're class of 81?
    I saw HR bumm rush MDC and punch the singer out in CB's 20 yrs ago.
    Respect AP

• class of '87 (drop out). but i was a semi homeless juvi freak at the age of 12 so i happened to be in the right place at the right time when it came to punk rock and hollywood.