Black Panthers are a Negative violent organization

Comments

• Cosmo, don't hate
    You can drive but don't hate
    I happen to be opposed to cars. It's my nature as a veteran bike mssngr.
    If I can't rail against needless oil consumption on a Black Panthers thread then I don't wanna be a part of your hatism.
    I don't know you or your revered AP, I meant no disrespect to AP. However, the fact that you know what an avitar is reveals that when you were playing nintendo with your jamaican babysitter I was hitting the IND and the IRTs after seeing Scott La roc at latin quarter or Rakim at the audobon.
    I clicked on a fuckin rubiks cube, I didn't show up with a mullet or fake mohawk.
    Free Huey
    Young Lords

Now I'm a rap fan who never saw Bam rock the park in the Bronx,
    but I still snap skulls in the dark.

you may be older than me but kindly fall the fuck back. your original and subsequent attacks were totally out of line.

ps I think my baby sitter was actually your sister. you can ask her about it. she'll remember me for sure.

• class of '87 (drop out). but i was a semi homeless juvi freak at the age of 12 so i happened to be in the right place at the right time when it came to punk rock and hollywood.

right on man.
    I was '88 and miraculously finished in 4 yrs.
    I cheated.

but back to the merits and detractors of the black panthers... I miss the time when people were interested in and able to commit to world change and liberation. All movements have detractions. AIM and the panthers were responses to ghastly violent raicism, multi-generational racism, premeditated racism and exploitation. When X and King were close to preaching revolution they were killed by agents.

Any viable liberation movement leader leaning out of the fringes towards views that can be embraced by all and unify the working class will be dealt with in one way or another. We can do something as our rights are eroded by wealthy greed-motivated fear-mongers.

Free Leonard Peltier

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• When X and King were close to preaching revolution they were killed by agents.

word? please to cite some sources. how do we know MLK was on the verge of a shift to violence?

• When X and King were close to preaching revolution they were killed by agents.

word? please to cite some sources. how do we know MLK was on the verge of a shift to violence?

dude he was there, class of 81... bitches

dude he was there, class of 81... bitches

of course. my bad. all hail to the newbie.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    And i would add :

This so-called violent organization was at least recruiting amongst women...which is not the case of typical organizations.

Plus, speaking about violence, there's a country called America that started a War with a country named Viet-Nam. How violent is that? I don't know...If it wasn't for the Panthers, who would have stand up against that :

PS : Bam, i may require a bigger definition of the .jpg you just posted (the book pile)...I would like to use it for a CD cover if you don't mind.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Plus, speaking about violence, there's a country called America that started a War with a country named Viet-Nam. How violent is that? I don't know...If it wasn't for the Panthers, who would have stand up against that

do your research homie. Shit was actually a french-vietnamese conflict before America decided to take over as cheif western overseer

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    When X and King were close to preaching revolution they were killed by agents.

It is well known that MLK was on a more militant path in terms of his vision at the end of his life. He was becoming much more involved with union struggles and class warfare and his big picture was looking at bringing a huge number of poor people of all races together both literally(for another march on DC) and politically. Not to mention that he was dissapointed that the Civil Rights Movement was still not fully successful in it's effort to brighten the fortunes of Black People across the US, the legal structure was in place Federally, but obviously the Panthers had risen out of a desperate LOCAL situation in Oakland that had paralells all over the country. MLK gets painted as a complete Dove now, but violence and danger followed him relentlessly and he always faced it.

Note that the quote above is talking about 'revolution' and you turned it into 'violence'.

it is easy nowadays to look back in hindsight and impose our impressions on these historical figures, but at the time things were changing at a rapid pace. Had MLK lived there's no reason to assume he would have changed radically his vision, just as there is no evidence that his methodology would have remained the same. That seems very unlikely.

It is well known that MLK was on a more militant path in terms of his vision at the end of his life. He was becoming much more involved with union struggles and class warfare and his big picture was looking at bringing a huge number of poor people of all races together both literally(for another march on DC) and politically. Not to mention that he was dissapointed that the Civil Rights Movement was still not fully successful in it's effort to brighten the fortunes of Black People across the US, the legal structure was in place Federally, but obviously the Panthers had risen out of a desperate LOCAL situation in Oakland that had paralells all over the country. MLK gets painted as a complete Dove now, but violence and danger followed him relentlessly and he always faced it.

Note that the quote above is talking about 'revolution' and you turned it into 'violence'.

it is easy nowadays to look back in hindsight and impose our impressions on these historical figures, but at the time things were changing at a rapid pace. Had MLK lived there's no reason to assume he would have changed radically his vision, just as there is no evidence that his methodology would have remained the same. That seems very unlikely.

thanks. and yes, I was very concious of the revolution-violence shift when I wrote it. To me, MLK was always revolutionary. He advocated a shift in the status quo that was at the time quite radical. Since non-violence was the hallmark of his movement, I assumed SHOAN meant that he was on the verge of a shift on this point later in life. I guess not?

And as for X, how was his vision shifting? I know from my reading that his Haj led to some alterations in his feelings vis-a-vis whites and blacks. What else?

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    do your research homie. Shit was actually a french-vietnamese conflict before America decided to take over as cheif western overseer

Ahem...what does it have to do with America leading a War?? I know you like to play the smart-azz, but don't fall out the line. Or maybe you are about to argue that America didn't engage a War with Vietnam. Holla.

And as far as "taking over"...ahem...Either you watch too many patriotic old school war flix, or we don't have the same notion of "taking over".

Anyway, lurker mode [...]

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Props for givin' the Panthers their own category number in the Dewey Decimal System.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

thanks. and yes, I was very concious of the revolution-violence shift when I wrote it. To me, MLK was always revolutionary. He advocated a shift in the status quo that was at the time quite radical. Since non-violence was the hallmark of his movement, I assumed SHOAN meant that he was on the verge of a shift on this point later in life. I guess not?

I think that MLK was feeling less and less that he could stem imminent violence FROM segments of the Black Community as certain situations failed to improve conditions.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

And as for X, how was his vision shifting? I know from my reading that his Haj led to some alterations in his feelings vis-a-vis whites and blacks. What else?

Correct me if I am wrong, its been a while since I read his autobiography, etc., but wasn't X moving the farthest from violence in his life when he was killed? Certainly he had left behind his blanket disapproval of all whites.

• And as for X, how was his vision shifting? I know from my reading that his Haj led to some alterations in his feelings vis-a-vis whites and blacks. What else?

Correct me if I am wrong, its been a while since I read his autobiography, etc., but wasn't X moving the farthest from violence in his life when he was killed? Certainly he had left behind his blanket disapproval of all whites.

that's my understanding also.

• Before we spin totally away from Black Panther talk here. Can someone please tell me why this book and this man are celebrated? I've always found this piece of non-fiction to be filled with disgusting bullshit ("I raped black women to practice raping white women")

Eldridge Cleaver is a piece of shit who had no morals to stick to. If he was in power he would of been just as huge a tyrant as any other leader we've come to detest.

Seriously though why is he painted in such a good light?

Yeah, I couldn't get past the rape thing.

Not to mention the fact that he went on to become a republican mormon.

Here's my first edition hardcover.....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Before we spin totally away from Black Panther talk here. Can someone please tell me why this book and this man are celebrated? I've always found this piece of non-fiction to be filled with disgusting bullshit ("I raped black women to practice raping white women")

Eldridge Cleaver is a piece of shit who had no morals to stick to. If he was in power he would of been just as huge a tyrant as any other leader we've come to detest.

Seriously though why is he painted in such a good light?

RAER AS FUCK!

I'd trade off some major grails to get a hardcover Revolutionary Suicide 1st edition.

The mormon thing I always thought was funny. To go from being a on the run for shooting cops to becoming a republican Mormon is like the ultimate in 180's.

• RAER AS FUCK!

I'd trade off some major grails to get a hardcover Revolutionary Suicide 1st edition.

Hell yeah. It's in excellent shape, dust jacket and all. Got it for $10.00, can you believe that?

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

If I have read Die N*gg*r Die do I need to read this?

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    scratch that, I got confused

• particia atkins went from stabbing people to being an obsessive born again christian. no comparison though. it is amazing however when people become so out there that they could be down for whatever as long as it is extreme. and when i say extreme i am not talking about the 90's r&b group.

and don't forget... peak oil... it's a conspiracy.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    particia atkins went from stabbing people to being an obsessive born again christian. no comparison though. it is amazing however when people become so out there that they could be down for whatever as long as it is extreme. and when i say extreme i am not talking about the 90's r&b group.

???

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

And some other N#

B.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

yeah his "spiritual advisor"s fingerprints were all over soul on fire and had him dramatically backtracking on some of his previous beliefs. still a worthwhile read if you're at all interested in post exile cleaver.

i do enjoy soul on ice as a look at his evolution and i suspect someone who writes it off with a "why should i listen to him, he was a rapist?" might not have actually finished it. there's a reason those articles are loaded at the front of the book.

i finally got this from my schools library last year and i was a little let down. i don't think huey's that great of a writer, there are better accounts of most of what he had to say in there. but maybe i'm a little biased because i had just read this:

imho, moore gives a better account of the trial than huey does. and both use the original court documents, so it's a bit redundant.

• suspect someone who writes it off with a "why should i listen to him, he was a rapist?" might not have actually finished it. there's a reason those articles are loaded at the front of the book.

It was a while ago but I think that was the case. I better go and finish it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    suspect someone who writes it off with a "why should i listen to him, he was a rapist?" might not have actually finished it. there's a reason those articles are loaded at the front of the book.

It was a while ago but I think that was the case. I better go and finish it.

I did finish it...twice and I don't remember him feeling any remorse for what he had done. He expressed the idea of feeling love which did paint him as human but the lingering thought of him raping multiple women still remained.

I love books that deal with human redemption, hell the Autobiography of Malcolm X is in the most literal and spiritual sense my personal bible. But I didn't get any siilar vibe from Soul On Ice.

Maybe you can tell me what you walked away from the book with to give me another perspective

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yo, this prof. is and

he needs to be

• all devil's advocate aside, can we at least agree that the panthers don't belong in the same category as the taliban and the KKK?

Of course. The KKK isn't even a comparison. The Taliban are frootloops no doubt, but they also have a similar element. Of course, that's where I would stop the equivalency, and say definitely that they're not even close to the same league.