But what do you DO with those records....

13»

Comments

• I also like to make up stories about the people playing the music or what they are singing about and what it must have been like to be them.

Dude, just learn Portuguese. It's not that difficult.

Oh, and I buy records because I love the music on them and I DJ. Now that I have Serato, I'll probably buy fewer records, but that's a good thing. It'll give me more time to listen to the ones I already own.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Then there is TheMack who only seems to buy records that other people say are good. Like if something was awesome, but it was on some easy listening record that isn't "hip" to own, or not worth anything, would TheMack still buy it?

Exactly. That's what I was waiting for. That toy/robot style of diggin' is weak. Damn, I miss the pre-Internet/eBay days when you had to actually go out and dig.
    Am I getting old?

• I think this thread is about what people who buy records just to buy them do with them.

What does that mean? Like, people who buy a record & put it up on their wall without ever playing it?

yeah, or in a crate, or an expidit, or garage or whatever. you sound suprised!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Then there is TheMack who only seems to buy records that other people say are good. Like if something was awesome, but it was on some easy listening record that isn't "hip" to own, or not worth anything, would TheMack still buy it?

Exactly. That's what I was waiting for. That toy/robot style of diggin' is weak. Damn, I miss the pre-Internet/eBay days when you had to actually go out and dig.

Am I getting old?

Wasn't this a thread last week? Almost word for word....wait that was about REISSUES! Or am I crazy....I have been told I am absurd. Good thing I am hear because I take music so damn seriously.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Am I getting old?

Wasn't this a thread last week? Almost word for word....wait that was about REISSUES! Or am I crazy....I have been told I am absurd. Good thing I am hear because I take music so damn seriously.
    Take that shit to StonesThrow.com!!

• If you are buying records just to own them then be honest and raise your hand.
    I guess I'd have to raise my hand. I can't figure out why people think scratching, producing, and DJing are all that great anyway. I mean it doesn't take that much skill, I've seen it in person a couple of times. The guys that do this are just ripping off a bunch of real musicians anyway. I would rather just own records to have something no one else has. It makes me feel like I'm better than the average person you know.

• I guess I'll chime in as I'm bored at work today:

I just love records. I've been getting/collecting records for as long as I can remember - hell I pulled out my copy of 'It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown' last weekend for a house party, and I've had that since I was like 5 or 6 years old. My brother used to school me on all his prog rock when we were growing up, then I schooled him on all my hip hop when I got older. I remember when I got my first pair of technics, I just put a record on and watched it without even putting the needle on it because I loved the way it looked when it spun around.

I buy records for DJing out, I'm always buying stuff that I grew up listening to that I never had on vinyl, I like to buy famous samples because I'm a bit of a historian, I buy stuff I've never heard of that I like (if I get a chance to hear it before purchase, but a lot of times I risk it - especially for $1-2 records)I buy stuff that I may eventually sample, etc. etc. alladat. I mean, realistically I'll probably never use my box set of the old testament that plays at 16rpm, but at the time I bugged out on it and just had to have it - besides it was like $5 for a 10 or 12 record box set of the old testament!! But all my stuff is in storage in Cali, so I gonna start weeding through it and getting rid of stuff I don't like anymore (i.e. mid 90's indy rap that hasn't held up over time) so you may see me more often in the sales threads...

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I remember when I got my first pair of technics, I just put a record on and watched it without even putting the needle on it because I loved the way it looked when it spun around.

I like collecting certain breaks for historical reasons. Like those early bob james albums aren't the best of albums but they have some very famous breaks used in Hip-Hop and therefore they're nice to own (although they're fairly easy to find). But it would be cool to own, for example, skull snaps, because that drum break has been used everywhere and has some history to it. Plus pulling that for cheap is just a good feeling, it's like healthy gambling... it's lucky but also you need the knowledge which doesn't come but through work and appreciation.

I also like collection for album covers too

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If the real marcofunk doesn't start posting here soon, I'm gonna hang myself.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I remember when I got my first pair of technics, I just put a record on and watched it without even putting the needle on it because I loved the way it looked when it spun around.

I like collecting certain breaks for historical reasons. Like those early bob james albums aren't the best of albums but they have some very famous breaks used in Hip-Hop and therefore they're nice to own (although they're fairly easy to find). But it would be cool to own, for example, skull snaps, because that drum break has been used everywhere and has some history to it. Plus pulling that for cheap is just a good feeling, it's like healthy gambling... it's lucky but also you need the knowledge which doesn't come but through work and appreciation.

I also like collection for album covers too

yo...keep this quiet,ok?
    skull snaps actually has some decent music on it.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    If you are buying records just to own them then be honest and raise your hand.
    I guess I'd have to raise my hand. I can't figure out why people think scratching, producing, and DJing are all that great anyway. I mean it doesn't take that much skill, I've seen it in person a couple of times. The guys that do this are just ripping off a bunch of real musicians anyway.
    Have you ever tried to scratch and let it sound interesting? What's a real musician for you? Makes me wonder what you've seen in "person a coople of times".

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I buy records to listen to them, play them, sample them, scratch them, and first and foremost bcos i love vinyl! And i always need new music and records to come in!! I try to listen to every record I own (at least once). I don't collect just "to have something". That's anal imo...but to each his own, no hatting!!

• If you are buying records just to own them then be honest and raise your hand.
    I guess I'd have to raise my hand. I can't figure out why people think scratching, producing, and DJing are all that great anyway. I mean it doesn't take that much skill, I've seen it in person a couple of times. The guys that do this are just ripping off a bunch of real musicians anyway.
    Have you ever tried to scratch and let it sound interesting? What's a real musician for you? Makes me wonder what you've seen in "person a coople of times".

he was kidding.

• I realized some times ago the real thrill about collecting records is TO FIND THEM. I like to be that sort of WAX INDIANA JONES. I bought some 100$ records a few years ago and, with some exception, I didn't see the point to buy a record that price that you can get for 10$ as a reissue. No offense to anybody but what's the deal with buying an OG Ben & Platano 500$ just to realize people in party don't care if it's an OG or a reissue?? Just to impress a bunch of guys like me? clueless..
    To drive 100km through countryplace, go to an old man house, and find a 500$ record for 1$ is something else, I appreciate the record better, don't ask me why..

My real interest is to find insane records I don't know about, it's even better when ALMOST NOBODY knows about that record, a real discovery is priceless. The adrenaline rush when you find a huge lot of dope obscure records for 1$ each in garage sell is like an addiction, I can't get rid of it for too long.

I used to collect for the sake of it, and realized keep records just for having it means nothing. I plan to do reissues cause there is numerous records that deserve it and I'm eager to let people discover them.
    Like someone else said I see myself also as a sort of HISTORIAN/ARCHIVIST, it's a part of my culture and I'm happy to keep that culture in my own place.
    Sometimes I try to contact the guy who did the record, to learn more about it.

All of this became a job. I sell records and it pay the rent. I sell most of the records I find and have no bad feeling with it. I prefer to sell a record to someone who're really after it. But despite what I say earlier about the no-interest of keeping records you don't DJ/sample/listentoyourhouse, I keep some very good records I don't have in my crates. Just for the sake of it, I could just record it as a MP3 and sell it for $$$, but I keep it, probably because I just love original records.

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts

records aren't anything but a medium to record MUSIC onto.

I buy records because I see them as a medium to record/flip music from.

• Damn. I was a pretty pissed off dude.

I forgot I had the name Salary Diz.

I'm still ready for halloween.