MIA the next big thing? No.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

and who the fuck is still checking for C-murder?

He seems to have kind of a renewed buzz down south--cohosted a DJ Smallz tape awhile ago. This is the first C-Murder album I've heard anybody talk about in a long time.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    He seems to have kind of a renewed buzz down south--cohosted a DJ Smallz tape awhile ago. This is the first C-Murder album I've heard anybody talk about in a long time.

If people are talking about it then this is the first C-Murder album I've heard anybody talk about....well, ever. I mean other than the moronic No Limit jockers who bought every goddamn thing that label used to put out back 5-6 years ago; they don't count.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

If people are talking about it then this is the first C-Murder album I've heard anybody talk about....well, ever. I mean other than the moronic No Limit jockers who bought every goddamn thing that label used to put out back 5-6 years ago; they don't count.

They have been playin his video with BG a lot on MTV Jams. Song is kinda crap as is C Murder. Didn't he used to rap EXACTLY like Pac?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i dont even want to know C-Murder exist after he (allegedly) murdered that kid

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

They have been playin his video with BG a lot on MTV Jams. Song is kinda crap as is C Murder. Didn't he used to rap EXACTLY like Pac?

Yeah he's never been very good--Silkk, by contrast, has always had a nice little style, IMO. Most of the renewed interest probably has to do more with his real life drama than with the music.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    For those who didn't catch Dr. Brown's actual point (wait, you mean people on here jump to conclusions based on who posted the thread? NO!), it's not whether or not she's bad, it's whether or not the hype is going to result in actual sales.

The Amazon numbers are interesting, but the way the industry works... first week sales pretty much determine how much is going to be invested in the project down the line... and where can her buzz go from here... but down... and then the label(s) stop investing. You have to understand, people making decisions are not only not artists, they aren't even remotely in tune with what goes on in the clubs, streets, lounges, chatrooms, etc. They are looking at the bottom line and they are eating whatever their butt-boys feed them. I don't think this is a good look for MIA, word to Reynaldo, regardless of how good or bad the music is.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Neneh Cherry.

Saw her walking down the street in Notting Hill Gate in London around '97. She still looked FINE. I heard she's lived in Spain for a number of years now.

Definitely MILF material...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Yeah he's never been very good--Silkk, by contrast, has always had a nice little style, IMO. Most of the renewed interest probably has to do more with his real life drama than with the music.

I have to agree. I never really checked for C Muder except "Down For My Ni66as" and some of that TRU shit. Silkk has always been aaaight to me though.

I've always been down with the No Limit Soldiers though, much MUCH more than the Cash Money dudes.

• ayoayo 44 Posts
    From the few joints i heard off the album, i can say she is different but that doesnt make her stuff better. its gotten to a point where she is so overhyped that people are almost afraid to say they dont like her. her album got a 10 out of 10 in elemental magazine, not that elemental is the authority to rate albums. You cant deny her the hype because she is exotic. Sri Lankan, british m.c. who is dating one of the most overhyped artists going now (Diplo). Again does that make her music better? no way, but that will get her foot in the door to all the press.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    word

paycheck and celery are on the real topic here...

this isnt about whether or not mia is dope or crap.. its about whether or not the hype is gonna live up to the sales...

that's what i find interesting.

i would imagine that a large percentage of her potential market already has the leaked album already no?

my wife's been blasting it for about a month and a half already.

but what i find the most interesting is the underground buzz that builds.. brings around the clueless majors who are lookin for the next big thing... and then they release it to the wider market ... but IS there a wider market???

that's what im talkin bout...

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Over hype seems dangerous. How and why does it happen? Who has it happened to in the recent past, I can't really think of anyone but I know they are out there and the reason I can't think of them probably has something to do w/ the over exposure.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    For those who didn't catch Dr. Brown's actual point (wait, you mean people on here jump to conclusions based on who posted the thread? NO!), it's not whether or not she's bad

well, he DID say it was "bullshit shoved down throats by music critics"

and C-Murder gets blogged about too!

http://gelandweave.blogspot.com/2005/03/c-murder-my-life-new-from-truest-shit.html

... but IS there a wider market???
    Not w/ out a video on MTV/MTV2/BET. Where is the video? Even "Still Tippin" is on fuckin 106 and Park now (live in studio performance last week even).

but what i find the most interesting is the underground buzz that builds.. brings around the clueless majors who are lookin for the next big thing... and then they release it to the wider market ... but IS there a wider market???

THIS is the real point here. I mean, is this worth a bidding war? This is a tax write-off for any major, can you imagine her on TRL? Let alone Clearchannel and the amount of hostility that would arise from her Tamil Tigers connection...

Like I said, this is not about the music, but the phenomenon. I really think that there's a max market for this kind of thing and the smartest ones are those that maximize the profit they can make off of a relatively small core audience.

For those who didn't catch Dr. Brown's actual point (wait, you mean people on here jump to conclusions based on who posted the thread? NO!), it's not whether or not she's bad

well, he DID say it was "bullshit shoved down throats by music critics"

Hahaha well as you and I both know that's just the good Dr's disposition... I don't think it was his actual point

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    personally, i am curious to see what happens once the gwen stefani set (kids, non-critic reading "regular folks") is exposed to the record just as simple pop music. mtv and radio haven't picked up the record yet, but the interscope machine hasn't even started to push it to them yet.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    For the record, even though I'm not a huge fan of either the hype of M.I.A. or the artist herself, I do think that there's some really good songs - especially for the club.

She does have some banging ass beats.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    personally, i am curious to see what happens once the gwen stefani set (kids, non-critic reading "regular folks") is exposed to the record just as simple pop music. mtv and radio haven't picked up the record yet, but the interscope machine hasn't even started to push it to them yet.

IMO I think that the record companies dropped the ball big time for not trying to get that done in the first place.

can you imagine her on TRL?
    Yes. She is hot and edgy, she needs a big video w/ lots of bubble gum colors for one of her less revolutionary songs. The whole Tamil Tiger thing is getting overblown IMO anyway. Lot at aks like Rage etc. that got huge MTV play, I know it was pre 9/11 but still, doesn't MTV try to be hip, edgy and not pro US Regieme?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Could the problem be that her demographic is the exact same group who have stopped buying music at all?

She could be HUGE w/ 12->17 yr. old girls but:
    IMO I think that the record companies dropped the ball big time for not trying to get that done in the first place.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

Certainly a curious thing to see...but while you/I might see that connection, will Rolling Stone actually say MIA: RIYL No Doubt? From a sonic perspective, I'm not hearing it.

ps. you been playing out that Mullyman 12"? I'd love to hear what the response is outside the 410...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

THIS is the real point here. I mean, is this worth a bidding war? This is a tax write-off for any major, can you imagine her on TRL? Let alone Clearchannel and the amount of hostility that would arise from her Tamil Tigers connection...

Like I said, this is not about the music, but the phenomenon. I really think that there's a max market for this kind of thing and the smartest ones are those that maximize the profit they can make off of a relatively small core audience.

WORD

the mia/diplo bootleg is exactly that "maximise the small audience"

but for sure the words tax and write off do come to mind here.

i saw her video once.. they played on the late night alternative music program up here.. it was on some dollar store "lets rippoff neneh cherry / technotronic" green screen action

it won't be gettin any major airplay that's for sure.

but what i want to know is where exactly does this kinda shit lead???

ive had a few buddies fall into the major label pittfalls.

one group were in the obvious tax write off bracket.. after the label paid for their van , gear, promo, manufacturing.. they lasted a whole 9 months before being dropped without a dime to their names. label was dissolved as a big sony tax thing.

the other dudes got into a MAJOR shitstorm of the classic steve albini "some of your friends are already this fucked" variety... ended up in DEBT to the label after all the promo / tour / video manufacturing costs were tallied... and then they had to buy back their masters too!!!!

so what does an artist like mia stand to gain from this situation???

if the album tanks she's outta luck

and if it doesnt tank the major hype stink that's now all over her is potentially damaging to her ACTUAL potential audience.

really i dont see how anybody can come out on top here no?

and second if your not making mainstream product (like i said the video looked like it cost about $20) why fuck with majors in the first place?????

Could the problem be that her demographic is the exact same group who have stopped buying music at all?

*Ahem*

Karlito, I think you're underestimating how radioactive stuff is in the media these days. All it takes is for one or two concerned parents to throw a fit because their daughter is listening to "an artist that sponsors terrorism"!!!

It'll be interesting.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    different but that doesnt make her stuff better.

Exactly

You cant deny her the hype because she is exotic.

Oh those crazy brown chicks!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

thats whats up... there are a whole lot of young women out there who are enamored with missy elliot/gwen/etc that will go ga-ga over this but have yet to hear it... my lil sister has requested a dub...

whats up with interscope though? their logo doesn't appear anywhere on the packaging?

Karlito, I think you're underestimating how radioactive stuff is in the media these days. All it takes is for one or two concerned parents to throw a fit because their daughter is listening to "an artist that sponsors terrorism"!!!
    So, you are saying if Rage, for example, were around today they would not fly the way they did in the late 90's?

BTW: I'm not insisting this record will blow up, I'm just saying I think the possibility for a larger audience exists, but for all the points already mentioned, it may not get there...

And yes, its entirely possible as well there her fans are the type who do not buy CDs... even terribly inexpensive ones...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    [quoteLike I said, this is not about the music, but the phenomenon. I really think that there's a max market for this kind of thing and the smartest ones are those that maximize the profit they can make off of a relatively small core audience.
    Excellently said. There's a nice living to be made off the long tail (get your minds out of the gutter--I mean THIS long tail), but the hype machine crowing that MIA is "the next big thing!" has been demonstrated to be incorrect, and it also doesn't do MIA any favors in the long run.

So, you are saying if Rage, for example, were around today they would not fly the way they did in the late 90's?

K - it seems to me that the MTV audience is increasingly affluent, conservative, and generally meatheaded... lots of flashy graphics, yes, but nothing challenging on there whatsoever...