VITAMIN ( not the grueling conservative dude )

2»

Comments

• Don't take Vitamin A supplements on a daily basis, that shit has been tested to give you and especially your girl osteoporosis + an increse in lung cancer if you are a smoker.
    That other stuff is just a waste of money unless you have a deficiency, won't do you no harm, but no good either.
    People should just eat their vegetables and stop paying big money to companies that profit from this new-age crap, the idea that vitamins are the answer to every problem in the world. The more you take the better it gets, that's not how it goes.

I don't know anything about this either but I watched a very convincing documentary about it on TV.

• Don't watch TV[/b] on a daily basis, that shit has been tested to give you and especially your girl brain damage [/b].

• Don't watch TV[/b] on a daily basis, that shit has been tested to give you and especially your girl brain damage [/b].

This is very true. A 30 second attention span is nothing to brag about either.

Just saying that people take the positive effects of vitamins for granted to the point, that they don't even question how they actually affect your body. It can even be seen to resemble a placebo effect. Just eat the pills and you will be happy. As for 3 mile walks, that I heavily recommend.

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    vitamin c 1000mg
    fish oil 1000mg
    garlic supplement
    sanatogen a-z multivit
    5-htp 100mg

• Vitamins are a scam. If you are eating a proper diet you do not need vitamins.

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    it's just easier than eating x amount of seeds, raw fish, whatever every day. there's plenty of studies on the benefits of supplements, google it.

• I googled this:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamina.asp

Vitamin A, beta carotene and cancer

Surveys suggest an association between diets rich in beta-carotene and vitamin A and a lower risk of many types of cancer [32]. A higher intake of green and yellow vegetables or other food sources of beta carotene and/or vitamin A may decrease the risk of lung cancer [2,33-34]. However, a number of studies that tested the role of beta-carotene supplements in cancer prevention did not find them to be protective. In the Alpha-Tocopherol Beta-Carotene (ATBC) Cancer Prevention Study, over 29,000 men who regularly smoked cigarettes were randomized to receive 20 mg beta-carotene alone, 50 mg alpha-tocopherol alone, supplements of both, or a placebo for 5 to 8 years. Incidence of lung cancer was 18% higher among men who took the beta-carotene supplement. Mortality was 8% greater in these men, as compared to those receiving other treatments or placebo [35].[/b] Similar results were seen in the Carotene and Retinol Efficacy Trial (CARET), a lung cancer chemoprevention study that provided subjects with supplements of 30 mg beta-carotene and 25,000 IU retinyl palmitate (a form of vitamin A) or a placebo. This study was stopped after researchers discovered that subjects receiving beta-carotene had a 46% higher risk of dying from lung cancer [36-37].

The IOM states that "beta-carotene supplements are not advisable for the general population," although they also state that this advice "does not pertain to the possible use of supplemental beta-carotene as a provitamin A source for the prevention of vitamin A deficiency in populations with inadequate vitamin A nutriture" [1].

Vitamin A and osteoporosis
    Osteoporosis, a disorder characterized by porous and weak bones, is a serious public health problem for more than 10 million Americans, 80% of whom are women. Another 18 million Americans have decreased bone density which precedes the development of osteoporosis. Many factors increase the risk for developing osteoporosis, including being female, thin, inactive, at advanced age, and having a family history of osteoporosis. An inadequate dietary intake of calcium, cigarette smoking, and excessive intake of alcohol also increase the risk [38-40].

Researchers are now examining a potential new risk factor for osteoporosis: an excess intake of vitamin A. Animal, human, and laboratory research suggests an association between greater vitamin A intake and weaker bones [40-41]. Worldwide, the highest incidence of osteoporosis occurs in northern Europe, a population with a high intake of vitamin A [42]. However, decreased biosynthesis of vitamin D associated with lower levels of sun exposure in this population may also contribute to this finding.

One small study of nine healthy individuals in Sweden found that the amount of vitamin A in one serving of liver may impair the ability of vitamin D to promote calcium absorption [43]. To further test the association between excess dietary intakes of vitamin A and increased risk for hip fractures, researchers in Sweden compared bone mineral density and retinol intake in approximately 250 women with a first hip fracture to 875 age-matched controls. They found that a dietary retinol intake greater than 1,500 mcg/day (more than twice the recommended intake for women) was associated with reduced bone mineral density and increased risk of hip fracture as compared to women who consumed less than 500 mcg/day [44].

This issue was also examined by researchers with the Nurses Health Study, who looked at the association between vitamin A intake and hip fractures in over 72,000 postmenopausal women. Women who consumed the most vitamin A in foods and supplements (greater than or equal to 3,000 mcg/day as retinol equivalents, which is over three times the recommended intake) had a significantly increased risk of experiencing a hip fracture as compared to those consuming the least amount (less than 1,250 mcg/day). The effect was lessened by use of estrogens. These observations raise questions about the effect of retinol because retinol intakes greater than 2,000 mcg/day were associated with an increased risk of hip fracture as compared to intakes less than 500 mcg [45].

A longitudinal study in more than 2,000 Swedish men compared blood levels of retinol to the incidence of fractures in men. The investigators found that the risk of fractures was greatest in men with the highest blood levels of retinol (greater than 75 mcg per deciliter [dL]). Men with blood retinol levels in the 99th percentile (greater than 103 mcg per dL) had an overall risk of fracture that exceeded the risk among men with lower levels of retinol by a factor of seven [46]. However, high vitamin A intake does not necessarily equate to high blood levels of retinol. Age, gender, hormones, and genetics also influence these levels. Researchers did not find any association between blood levels of beta-carotene and risk of hip fracture. Researchers' findings, which are consistent with the results of animal, in vitro (laboratory), and epidemiologic studies, suggest that intakes above the UL, or approximately two times that of the RDA for vitamin A, may pose subtle risks to bone health that require further investigation.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reviewed data from NHANES III (1988-94) to determine whether there was any association between bone mineral density and fasting blood levels of retinyl esters, a form of vitamin A [47]. No significant associations between blood levels of retinyl esters and bone mineral density in 5,800 subjects were found.

There is no evidence of an association between beta-carotene intake, especially from fruits and vegetables, and increased risk of osteoporosis. Current evidence points to a possible association with vitamin A as retinol only. If you have specific questions regarding your intake of vitamin A and risk of osteoporosis, discuss this information with your physician or other qualified healthcare practitioner to determine what's best for your personal health.

What are the health risks of too many carotenoids?

Provitamin A carotenoids such as beta-carotene are generally considered safe because they are not associated with specific adverse health effects. Their conversion to vitamin A decreases when body stores are full. A high intake of provitamin A carotenoids can turn the skin yellow, but this is not considered dangerous to health.

Recent clinical trials that associated beta-carotene supplements with a greater incidence of lung cancer and death in current smokers raise concerns about the effects of beta-carotene supplements on long-term health. However, conflicting studies make it difficult to interpret the health risk. For example, the Physicians Health Study compared the effects of taking 50 mg beta-carotene every other day to a placebo in over 22,000 male physicians and found no adverse health effects [54]. Also, a trial that tested the ability of four different nutrient combinations to inhibit the development of esophageal and gastric cancers in 30,000 men and women in China suggested that after five years those participants who took a combination of beta-carotene, selenium, and vitamin E had a 13% reduction in cancer deaths [55]. One point to consider is that there may be a relationship between alcohol and beta-carotene because men who consumed more than 11 grams/day of alcohol (approximately one drink per day) were more likely to show an adverse response to beta-carotene supplementation in one lung cancer trial [1].

The IOM did not set ULs for carotene or other carotenoids. Instead, it concluded that beta-carotene supplements are not advisable for the general population. As stated earlier, however, they may be appropriate as a provitamin A source for the prevention of vitamin A deficiency in specific populations [1].

br />

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    ok but i think further studies showed that smokers who only supplemented biotin had an increased risk of lung cancer whereas smokers who supplemented biotin with a combination of antioxidants didn't. as far as bone problems i'm more worried about excess protein but to each their own.. anyway all i'm saying is make up your own mind.

• People should just eat their vegetables and stop paying big money to companies that profit from this new-age crap.

BULLSHIT!

sibereian eleuthero root ROCKS!

• Vitamins are a scam. If you are eating a proper diet you do not need vitamins.

i challenge each and every soulstrutter to tell me that they are actually getting proper nutrition out of the diet that they are currently eating.

in todays society it is not possible.

it is true that food source is the BEST source but you have to be super hardcore to get it right.

waffles and the burrito diet wont do the trick.

i am eating fruits, vegetables, beans, fish, chicken, oats and a little bit of other grains.

i feel great but i need my booster and my insurance policy.

you need the eleuthero root and acai. that shit will rock your world. im glowing.

• i am eating fruits, vegetables, beans, fish, chicken, oats and a little bit of other grains.

You are fooling yourself if you think you need more than this. Plus excerise.

Me personally, I try to get at least 5-10 fruits and vegetables per day.

Make sure you get some steamed kale in there once in a while too. Some don't like the nasty bitter taste but it's the best shit for you on the planet.

• kale and that dark green shit is the gnarly shit.

it will make you piss bright yellow.

the bottom line is shit like eleuthero root and heavy duty antioxadents like acai or mangosteen dont come in daily diet. i am not about to eat a clove of garlic so i will choose the capsule instead.

it is totally true that if you eat really, really, really well you will not need b,c, and e vitamins and other basic food source vitamins.

but what about selenium for example?

that shit is difficult to get from food source.

i have 13 silver fillings in my grill leaching mercury all day long. i want that selenium to bind that shit so i can flush it. that is my reason for taking that.

i will take omega 3 every day because i am not going to get fish body oils every day.

this is like an insurance policy. i am fully loaded at all times and come fully equiped with all the right ingredients regardless of the crap i might have to ingest to survive a long dig in the inland empire.

fuk taco bell. you get no burrito dog.

• i will take omega 3 every day because i am not going to get fish body oils every day.

Sounds like you've done a little research so that's good. Do your thing if it makes you feel good. Though it's good to have a critical eye with some of this stuff, you have to agree...

try some cold pressed flaxseed oil in your salad dressing, homeslice. Another excellent source of Omega 3's.

Also sounds like you need to step up your dental hygiene game up a little. 13 fillings? DAMN...

• my dental hygine game is kosher now. it just was not so hot when i was a 13 year old vagabond and i wound up with a dome full of metal at a later date.

flax seed rules and it also makes you take a dump which is radd.

but i am very critical of some of this shit.

like this color therapy bullshit gets the bozak. i am not down with crystals either.

living air purification systems get the thumbs up however. certainly if you are working in a trud infested industrail building in downtown LA like me. that is a problem you wont run into in the VT. ionic air is the shit.

ap

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    AP and 99Problems got that real nutrition talk
    my mom cooks up the best leafy greens, add garlic you're set

REAL TALK

• I gotta say juicing is rad too. That's one of the trends I can get down with.

Try fasting over a weekend of juicing carrots, beets, wheatgrass, apples, etc.

while listening to your raers. You will do a lot of shitting but afterwards feel like a million bucks.

Juicing is

• juicing is next level for sure.

• Hi AP

I would like to flip vitamins for records if possible

• my dental hygine game is kosher now. it just was not so hot when i was a 13 year old vagabond and i wound up with a dome full of metal at a later date.

flax seed rules and it also makes you take a dump which is radd.

but i am very critical of some of this shit.

like this color therapy bullshit gets the bozak. i am not down with crystals either.

living air purification systems get the thumbs up however. certainly if you are working in a trud infested industrail building in downtown LA like me. that is a problem you wont run into in the VT. ionic air is the shit.

ap

Damn, it's good to have you back AP.

• ap, you got too much of a lot of vitamins in your diet. smaller doses and rotate that shit. do not take the same supplements every day, day after day. best example i can give -- vitamin c. the bodies natural enzymes can only convert and use about 50-100mg per day at best. taking in more than that on a consistent basis causes your body to produce proteins that work to flush the additional vitamin c from your system. the result is that if you have a rapid drop in your vitamin c intake, those proteins that are busy looking to flush vitamin c from your system are still there and still being manufactured so your body starts to become vitamin c deficient very quickly.

my friend who works a public health beat in a county hospital said that after that "vitamin c and the cure for the common cold" bullshit that they had all kinds of wierd shit. people would come in from some gnarly accident and be in a comma and would start getting scurvy. it was because they had been megadosing vitamin c and had all these c-killer proteins floating around, so they had to start dosing them with vitamin c and gradually taper it off to a health level as the person's body started reducing the anti-c protein production.

moral of the story is that in these days of wacky supplements, it is just as easy to get too much of a good thing as it is to get too little.

balance.

• i just went for a three mile walk.

i am feeling like a million bucks.

I try 'n do this every day...mad feel good vibes...

My Pop's got cancer, and with chemo, etc this is the only thing that makes him feel better
    too bad VT weather don't cooperate often

sorry about your dad elv.

• dude i am on food source vitamin c. ths shits called alma. only 250mg. complely nutrient dense and food based. i am actually not involved with many straight vitamins. more into herbs and food souce nutrients. the shit your talking about is ascorbic acid ( standard vitamin c garbage ) and you are correct. the body cannot assimilate that shit. your body will shit it out once it's had a touch of it, no matter how much you take.

i hit the alma 5 days on 3 days off.

you should see my pill jars are off the muthafuckin hook.

hella fools get suped up on mad pills and shit. i take moderated shit and switch on and off. in example with the siberian eleuthero root it's 4 weeks on, 1 week off.

any shit you take that is isolated nutrients ( the standard off the shelve refined garbage vitamins ) is mostly ineffective because of limited ability to absorb. you need to get vitamins and minerals from food souce supplements or from the food itself.

in other words i'm deep. were not talking about flintstone chewables here.

ap