New CVE track

ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
Not sure of the underlying significance, but thought some of y'all might like to hear this:http://s30.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1H3505OX207VO0GPTHPDLS48FL

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Not sure of the underlying significance,

i don't know what you mean by that but villanism (is that what its called or is that just what some herb labeled the mp3s?) is sounding

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Not sure of the underlying significance,

i don't know what you mean by that but villanism (is that what its called or is that just what some herb labeled the mp3s?) is sounding

Villainizm is the title of the new album on deck in a month or so.

Have you heard the Ngafsh bonus cd from last year? Speaking of , the CV track on that where Ridd freaks that Who sample and throws in all of that extra Volume10-esque-circa-Home-Alone guitar psychedelia...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    why can't they get cleaner recording in 2005 though?!? it's not '96 anymore, four track shit doesn't fly. you can get a $300 computer setup now that is gonna sound 1000x better than every cve project to date. every song they've ever recorded has vocals going all into the red.

as for villianism, i really like the joint that goes "thugs n clips / dub n whips / clubs n chicks / keep pushin it"

why can't they get cleaner recording in 2005 though?!? it's not '96 anymore, four track shit doesn't fly. you can get a $300 computer setup now that is gonna sound 1000x better than every cve project to date. every song they've ever recorded has vocals going all into the red.

as for villianism, i really like the joint that goes "thugs n clips / dub n whips / clubs n chicks / keep pushin it"

They haven't recorded on 4-tracks in years. Maybe Fish does up in Fresno...but they landed a big board for CVShack like 5-6 years ago. I don't know...maybe their stuff still isn't up to par with corporate studios, but I'm not hearing things as being as bad as you're making them out to be.

Did you get a copy of the 45 Fish put out a few months back?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    They haven't recorded on 4-tracks in years. Maybe Fish does up in Fresno...but they landed a big board for CVShack like 5-6 years ago. I don't know...maybe their stuff still isn't up to par with corporate studios, but I'm not hearing things as being as bad as you're making them out to be.

maybe i'm imagining, shit sounds a little better than it used to, but still not good enough for something being made commercially available in this day and age. it is very possible they have a good enough recording setup and just don't know how to use it.

Did you get a copy of the 45 Fish put out a few months back?

nah i was meaning to order one from him but i never got around to it. is it just tracks from "kill em all"? or is it something else?

maybe i'm imagining, shit sounds a little better than it used to, but still not good enough for something being made commercially available in this day and age. it is very possible they have a good enough recording setup and just don't know how to use it.

Please stop spreading such baseless madness. "Welcome to the Afterlife" and "Declaration of an Independent" were the first 2 CV albums recorded with their big budget equipment. Once you have a chance to go back and listen to those, please come again with what you are hearing that isn't up to par on the sound quality tip. Again, Fish is very likely working with lesser equipment since he relocated to Fresno. But Ridd, the primary CV producer, is not only working with the goods but he also knows how to use them (see Aceyalone's "Find Out" which was not only good enough to appear in a major motion picture "You Got Served" but also the television commercials for it).

nah i was meaning to order one from him but i never got around to it. is it just tracks from "kill em all"? or is it something else?

2 tracks from "Kill em All" on blue wax.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Please stop spreading such baseless madness.

Yeah, noz, chill with the baseless madness!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Please stop spreading such baseless madness.

ha ha spreading baseless madness?

"Welcome to the Afterlife" and "Declaration of an Independent" were the first 2 CV albums recorded with their big budget equipment. Once you have a chance to go back and listen to those, please come again with what you are hearing that isn't up to par on the sound quality tip.

i really don't care how big budget their equipment is if they haven't mastered using it, which they clearly is the case. i'm sitting here listening to declaration of an independent. i'm no expert, but i know enough to know IT SOUNDS LIKE SHIT. the vocals alone are mixed way too high to the verge of distortion and sound like they were recorded on shitty toy mics. i know it's hard to believe your precious idols aren't perfect in every facet of life, but as much as i love their music, their recording techniques would probably benefit from an outside ear.

But Ridd, the primary CV producer, is not only working with the goods but he also knows how to use them (see Aceyalone's "Find Out" which was not only good enough to appear in a major motion picture "You Got Served" but also the television commercials for it).

I don't have the record in front of me, but I'd bet Acey's record was not mixed and mastered at the "CVShack". Ridd probably sent the beat to an outside studio. "Enter The Kaos" from the new blowed comp (and was apparantly recorded specifically for the comp) is another example of a ridd beat that benefits from a good clean mix. compare that to "Villains" from the same record, which they seem to have just thrown on straight off the cdr that cve gave them and as a result is murky as hell (although it does sound slightly better than their usual standards).

i really don't care how big budget their equipment is if they haven't mastered using it, which they clearly is the case. i'm sitting here listening to declaration of an independent. i'm no expert, but i know enough to know IT SOUNDS LIKE SHIT. the vocals alone are mixed way too high to the verge of distortion and sound like they were recorded on shitty toy mics. i know it's hard to believe your precious idols aren't perfect in every facet of life, but as much as i love their music, their recording techniques would probably benefit from an outside ear.

Fair enough...now I'm the one who needs to pull "Declaration of an Independent" to revisit the sound quality. I sure don't remember it as being so categorically screwed up as you are portraying it, that's for sure. "Welcome to the Afterlife" which had 8 of its songs pressed to vinyl singles may actually be the better example.

I don't have the record in front of me, but I'd bet Acey's record was not mixed and mastered at the "CVShack". Ridd probably sent the beat to an outside studio. "Enter The Kaos" from the new blowed comp (and was apparantly recorded specifically for the comp) is another example of a ridd beat that benefits from a good clean mix. compare that to "Villains" from the same record, which they seem to have just thrown on straight off the cdr that cve gave them and as a result is murky as hell (although it does sound slightly better than their usual standards).

Neither us know for certain right now if "Find Out" was recorded and/or mixed at CVShack (as a precedent to this: I'm pretty sure that "Arhythmaticulus" off of "All Balls" was at least recorded at CVShack). You're automatic assumption that if-it's-fucked-it-must-be-from-the-Shack/if-it's-tight-it-must-have-been-sent-to-another-studio is what is really bugging me about your assertions here.

And thus why I don't get you nor your blog. I can understand being objective and calling-them-how-you-see-them, but I don't get working so hard to uncover obscure music just to shit on it. I can tell you right now that the real reason why I never sent you the "Sounds of the Goodlife" dub is because of the way I watched you trash Bored Stiff's "Explainin" EP. You're in many cases going back to music you missed when it came out, only to not get it now either.

And it's not that I think CVE is perfect in everything they do. I just don't get someone who feels so self-important as to counteract the effort of artists that he is seemingly attempting to shed light on by simultaneously criticizing their work in the most sweeping know-not manner possible.

All the world needs is yet another East Coaster telling us what's up down South and out West.

Nothing exists until an East Coaster discovers it.

Everything sucks until an East Coaster gives his sign of approval.

Context apparently means nothing since certain opinion-leading East Coasters seemingly don't have a need for it.

East Coast standards are of course superior to the standards of reality.

Noz, granted you're no way entirely as bad as these statements imply, but I gotta tell you that this imperialistic coverage is getting hella tired.

No fuckin respect, I tell ya.

Yeah, someone might say...but Noz, he likes the Blowed. True, but as far as I can tell Noz sure ain't in the Blowed's corner.

That could be said of many bloggers/reporters/editors who have of late been jocking/exploiting what for them clearly remains as unchartered waters.

A month or so back, I apparently got under Catchdub's skin by stating that SXSW does not a proper Southern rap concert make.

I certainly can't speak for an entire region but I simply have to say to y'all blatant carpetbaggers...thanks, but no thanks.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I have no opinion on this particular track but I find it odd that a guy who attempts to rep Texas, NOLA, and Cali simultaneously has the stones to call other folks "carpetbaggers".

Carry on...

Man, you already responded to Noz.

What, did you just sit and simmer for an hour and decide that you had to bring it to him one more time?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Neither us know for certain right now if "Find Out" was recorded and/or mixed at CVShack (as a precedent to this: I'm pretty sure that "Arhythmaticulus" off of "All Balls" was at least recorded at CVShack). You're automatic assumption that if-it's-fucked-it-must-be-from-the-Shack/if-it's-tight-it-must-have-been-sent-to-another-studio is what is really bugging me about your assertions here.

well yeah like i said before, i'm not entirely sure where "Find Out" was recorder. but since you mentioned "aryhthmaticulus" i'm sure you understand that major label releases very rarely exclusively recorded in home studios. i can say with confidence that there was some outside work going on there. it wasn't just dropped to a dat in the cvshack and rushed to the stores.

And thus why I don't get you nor your blog. I can understand being objective and calling-them-how-you-see-them, but I don't get working so hard to uncover obscure music just to shit on it.

when presenting this music to an audience that may not be familiar with it, i feel it's neccesarry to look at it from an unbiased manner. "well yeah, this is mixed a little shitty and the chorus could be better but damn ridd rips the second verse, you need to check it out just for that". if i were not to put it in this context people might write it off for what's wrong with it, not what's good about it. i do a good bit of gushing on the site, so i don't think it's fair to say i'm shitting on the music i write about but if a record has obvious flaws i feel are necessary to point out.

that's why it's called criticism. i cherish many records that the blowed has put out, i have nothing but support for these artists. in fact i'm a probably as much of a full fledged gushing geek fanboy when it comes to this shit.

but, and this is where you and i seem to differ, at the same time i can rationally look at the mistakes that they've made. There are concrete reasons why just about everything that's come out under that umbrella has been so CRIMINALLY SLEPT ON. And i'm not talking about your percieved industry agenda to shut down the blowed. And it's frusturating that little things like keeping your eyes on the red when recording vocals prevent great emcees from making great records.

I can tell you right now that the real reason why I never sent you the "Sounds of the Goodlife" dub is because of the way I watched you trash Bored Stiff's "Explainin" EP. You're in many cases going back to music you missed when it came out, only to not get it now either.

i have never in my life written anything about bored stiff nor do i own or have heard that record in it's entirety. so, as usual, i don't know what the fuck you're talking about. but you must have some serious issues to deal with if you honestly think i've been frantically searching for a copy of that goodlife tape for *years* just to pan it.

i'm actually going to sell it to twista, jay-z and lazy bone. they're looking for new styles.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Beef. It's what's for dinner.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    you know what man fuck you. i've done nothing on this board but try to lend creedance and a level of rationale to every one of your regulary unprovoked blowed rants, not because i like you, but because i like *the blowed*. but i'm done with that shit.

you're right i'm fucking sorry i'm a terrible east coaster. i constantly rue the day my parents chose to raise me in new jersey, lacking the forsight to move to crenshaw blvd. as to preemptively legitimize their son's interest in a fringe musical scene.

but you're the one making these guys the joke of the internet with your irrrational flag waving and overbearing assualts on anyone who might not like love every second of recorded music to come out of loose collective of about 100 rappers in a 15 year period.

if you want to attach some sort of blogger stigma to what i do, then that's your perogitive. whatever went on with catchdubs, that's not me. whatever blog panned bored stiff, again, not me. this isn't "carpetbagging" flavor of the month type shit for me. i'm just some kid who happened to grow up on the east coast and was fortunate enough to find and fall in love with this shit. who's been trading tapes with likeminded blowed heads for about ten years, who got and gave nothing but love when mikah drez and ab rolled through my show last year, who was probably the only college radio cat in the country to even put 'kill 'em all' on the charts, who damn near killed himself in a blizzard trying to get to a busdriver concert that was ultimately cancelled, who recites "5 O' Clock follies" word for word every morning before brushing his teeth. get the fucking point? now if i have a venue to share that music, you better believe i'm going to do it.

Beef Baseless madness with a side of bagged carpet seasoned with East Coast elitism. It's what's for dinner.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    ???

• ???

Play your position, Nick.

You're only allowed to like Joe Buddens.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    ???

Clearly, it's been keeping you up nights, still fresh in your memory.

• as a GENUINE southerner, GENUINE texan, GENUINE music lover and GENUINE southern dj who has moved to the east coast.. I'll be a scally wag and give you a little east coast love.

http://ovafiya.blackgoku.com/umad/haterz.html

you really need to get off of this shit dog. It's been 10 years now. and they still suck and they do need to mix and master their shit.

simple as that.

nobody's above criticism. (hating)

sensitive fanboys.

Man, you already responded to Noz.

What, did you just sit and simmer for an hour and decide that you had to bring it to him one more time?

Actually yes, that's just what I did.

I'm torn between being happy that someone such as Noz is a fan of the Blowed and pissed off that someone who is supposedly a fan would dog the object of his fandom every chance he gets.

Seriously it's so East Coast pretentious to me to on one hand support and then on the other hand undermine.

And Noz, what I see you doing goes beyond criticism. You play right into the Blowed haters by making sweeping generalizations that only show that you know not what you are speaking on.

It's not at all about the Blowed being perfect. It's about recognizing that the Blowed has enough hurdles to jump already without you always insisting on showing the hate side of your ambiguous treatment of them. IT SEEMS and I see this in blogdom all over the place that your promotion of the Blowed always seems to get overshadowed by you reserving the right to say whatever foul shit you want to say about them.

Critical license, yes, you could earn a journalism degree for it. But you could also get your ass stomped by the artists in question for it as well.

Why is it so hard to get through your skull that the Blowed is what it is? CVE would love to have access to a coporate-level studio with expert engineers at their beckoned call. But since they are so freakin absolutely iconclasts about their shit that will never happen. Yet knowing this you can't listen to one of their home-recorded albums and just appreciate it for what it is. You've instead got to incessantly harp on what it could be, based upon your own mismatched standards.

I swore you wrote up something negative on Bored Stiff. If you didn't I apologize. Aaaargh whatever, I have a duaghter to raise...

• Far be it from me to tell anyone how to raise a daughter, but I will say that 7'26-4-12 9.6.5 was a very questionable choice of a name.

And Noz, what I see you doing goes beyond criticism. You play right into the Blowed haters by making sweeping generalizations that only show that you know not what you are speaking on.

"He studies military strategy A LOT."

Also, how come discussions of Project Blowed with Archaic always seem to come back to threats of violence?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    please give me just one example of WHAT THE FUCK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

what "bloggers" even bat an eye at the blowed other than emynd and i? both of whom are tried and true fans.

what "foul shit" have i said? that, god forbid, i don't like a few of the dozens of records these guys have put out?

do you seriously think your old buddy riddlore will "stomp my ass" when he finds out i said that i love the new cve album but think it could benefit from cleaner mixing?

face it, it's delusional groupies like you that turn people off to the blowed. you've single handedly made all their shit a joke to every hip hop head with an internet connection.

please give me just one example of WHAT THE FUCK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

what "bloggers" even bat an eye at the blowed other than emynd and i? both of whom are tried and true fans.

what "foul shit" have i said? that, god forbid, i don't like a few of the dozens of records these guys have put out?

do you seriously think your old buddy riddlore will "stomp my ass" when he finds out i said that i love the new cve album but think it could benefit from cleaner mixing?

face it, it's delusional groupies like you that turn people off to the blowed. you've single handedly made all their shit a joke to every hip hop head with an internet connection.

I'm weeding out the weak who fake like allies yet insist to play into the hater's mentality.

This is all shit you said:

every song they've ever recorded has vocals going all into the red.

i really don't care how big budget their equipment is if they haven't mastered using it, which they clearly is the case. i'm sitting here listening to declaration of an independent. i'm no expert, but i know enough to know IT SOUNDS LIKE SHIT.

You wanna act like all little you did was kindly recommend further mixing, but there's just so much venom underneath anything you say about the Blowed, good or bad.

And it's clearly because you value the opinions of know-not haters more than the work of the artists you are supposedly promoting. You can't seem to mention the Blowed without speaking directly to those who hate them.

I distinctly recall you shouting me down at some point a few months back when I called "Kill em All" one of the best rap albums last year...as if because it wasn't recorded in a state of the art studio that it couldn't even be in contention for such consideration.

And that's the exact kind of thing that makes me think you don't get it. You think it's hipster-suave to collect cassette tapes...but then you want to act like you are completely above 4-track recordings.

Fuck that entire mentality. And it's not about violence either. Would you get your ass kicked for saying the lines I quoted above directly to Ridd or other affiliated artist? I'd advise you not to try... But what it's really about is being down for something or not. All this wishy-washy I'm-a-fan-but-I-actually-have-more-fun-capping-on-em-since-it-gets-me-laughs bullshit is for the birds.

I'm weeding out the weak who fake like allies yet insist to play into the hater's mentality.

Face it, noz, you lack the proper religious mentality to ever be a part of the team.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Face it, noz, you lack the proper religious mentality to ever be a part of the team.

You're not an "ally". Quite the contrary. You're "the enemy".

Are the vocals bassless? Is that the problem?

• tryin to crush what i lust into dust

Are you suggesting that they lack sac?

For a day of reckoning shall come on which all those who impugne the testosterone levels of the Blowed will be dealt with...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Are you suggesting that they lack sac?

For a day of reckoning shall come on which all those who impugne the testosterone levels of the Blowed will be dealt with...