seinfeld VS. simpsons

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited October 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
which is the superior comedy series? i've only seen a few episodes of each and am looking to dive in one of the others dvd's. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    It depends on your tastes. Both are funny but I would say not exactly equal on the types of humor.

This should be more like Simpsons or Family Guy.

I think I've seen every single Seinfeld episode, it's my alltime favorite show. For my sense of humor, the show fucking cracks me up.

Don't get me wrong though, I like the Simpsons too, but Seinfeld just kills it for me.

• I've only recently been able to see Seinfeld as anything but a regretable between two simpsons episodes (back when KUSI used to show Simpsons at 6 and 7). Seinfeld can be good for a few laughs, where as the Simpsons had a major part in the formulation of my worldview. Yahm?

• okay graf. . so you would say seinfeld then. i just saw last week an episode where kramer does the coffee table book and figured its time to start getting some dvd's. i've only seen 1 family guy. i've seen about 10 simsons but the problem for me is i gotta sit there and the jokes are coming too fast but there is usually one that has me in stitches. peace, stein. . .

My ratings:

1.) Seinfeld
    2.) Family Guy (when it's funny it's funny as fuck, but some jokes completely miss or they drag on wayyyy too long)(Overall has me laughing though)

3.) Simpsons (Overall just funny)

Onces to miss: American Dad (cheesy formulaic imitation of Family Guy)

• Simpsons by a nudge

• yeah, i only wanted to get into these ones cause they seem to be the shows that defined a decade. unless your a girl i guess it would be friends VS. sex in the city.
    peace, stein. . .

• Simpsons by a nudge

co-sign. Normally I would say simpsons but I started analyzing the situation and for me The Simpsons didn't really start to get funny until after season 3 or 4. Seinfeld from season 1 has always been funny. It seems after season 3 or 4 The Simpsons just started taking the jokes to another level making them outrageous and Homer just turned into a complete fool.

Now Family Guy, in my book, is tied with The Simpsons. Family Guy started off season 1 having jokes that were so outrageous you would life to the point of crying. If you want hit up any BitTorrent search engine and you are destined to find every episode of The Family Guy. I downloaded all of them and burned them onto DVD's.

Hey, don't knock Sex and the City. My girlfriend started watching those thingsand I kinda got into it.

BTW, fuck buying DVDs, they have all that shit at the library.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    which is the superior comedy series? i've only seen a few episodes of each and am looking to dive in one of the others dvd's. peace, stein. . .

where have you been the last 15 years?

well anyways, seinfeld for me. there were only a few really good simpsons seasons imo.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'd say Seinfeld's not even close to the Simpsons. For straight comedy as well as sharp sociological commentary. Just a more thoughtful show IMO. Seinfeld, although at times very funny, never really meant anything.

And I could never get into sex in the city, seemed too much like female stereotypes always obsessing over shoes. Never really watched much of it though.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I used to be heavily into The Simpsons in the early/mid 90's, taping every episode and watching them again and again. However, they really fell off in the last couple of years in my opinion, I can't be bothered to check any of the new episodes, though I do enjoy the DVD's that they released of the first seasons.

Seinfeld I didn't really get into at first but it slowly became one of my favorite shows, at this point I like it way more than The Simpsons.

With Family Guy I first had to get over the whole 'this is just a Simpsons rip-off' thought, but I enjoy it much more than the Simpsons now as well, especially the third and fourth season (and the movie), can't wait for the new season to start.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Wow, I'm surprised to see so many people chosing simpson's over Seinfeld.

To me, Seinfeld is so much more superior. They are both "historically relevant", but I think Seinfeld takes the cake. There are some amazing, classic simpson's episode, but there are a lot of unwatchable ones (especially lately). With Seinfeld, almost every episode is a winner.

If it helps, I also like some of the following shows (in terms of agreeing with my taste): The Office (British version), The Newsroom (Canadian show that is slept on), Family Guy, Clone High, Duckman, Rocko's Modern Life, etc.

• Wow, I'm surprised to see so many people chosing simpson's over Seinfeld.

simpsons.

longest running sit com of all time, hands down, shaped more than a generation.

i remember in the mid 90's when it passed the flinstones as the
    "longest running prime time animate series"

i cant even believe this is even a debate. . . sure simpsons fell off a bit these last few years,
    but shit, it's outlasted m.a.s.h., archie bunkar, all in the something, jeffersons, goot dimes,
    mama's fambily, jeers, shinfeld, freinds, EVERY FUCKING SHOW THAT'S EVAR
    EXISTED EVAR!!

start with the simpsons dawg.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Wow, I'm surprised to see so many people chosing simpson's over Seinfeld.

simpsons.

longest running sit com of all time

Granted, that's quite an accomplishment, but that doesn't neccesarily make it a better show does it? It wasn't like Seinfeld got cancelled or something.

• Definitively SEINFELD.

• apples and oranges

but on the domestically produced animated comedy tip, I'm quite partial to...

• Family Guy is kinda to me.

It seems like the formula they use it to drop a joke, let it run on for about 20 seconds too long, and then drop some 80's reference. It stops being funny after a few episodes.

I'd pick The Simpsons over Seinfeld though.

Home Movies is pretty funny too.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i don't think influence is a legitimate ground to argue on. both styles of humor have permeated american society, and i'd say for the worst. the absurdity of the simpsons has been beaten into the ground by derivitave animated trash like family guy and countless unfunny adult swim shows. and the sardonic seinfeld approach has been applied (poorly) to almost every american sitcom friends, raymond, and yes sex in the city. remember that prior to seinfeld the biggest hit sitcoms were the family and value oriented ones (i'd say cheers played a factor in this development as well). afterwards the big hits were all twenty or thirty somethings sitting around in an apartment making fun of each other.

i feel like certain aspects of seinfeld have aged really awfully, like the sweaters or the episode where jerry keeps saying "i was getting jiggy with it". simpsons in it's prime had a certain timeless quality, even when dealing with topical or political issues. and this is one of the inherent advantages of animation. simpsons "styles" are uniquely simpsons, where seinfeld is an artifact, forever grounded in the mid 90s. this is why, growing up in the 80s, something like the jetsons could still resonate with me, where dick van dyke would have me scratching my head.

by the way it's interesting that you guys are citing the "longevity" of the simpsons as it's strong point. that show has been a complete mess for at least seven seasons. seinfeld had the advantage of ending before it completely tarnished it's legacy (although it was well on that path if you'll recall the last season). and this is where animation works to their disadvantage - the (relative) immortality of voice actors will keep that show running (into the ground) for the next twenty years.

i can't believe i just took the time to write all that. in short i'd probably have to go with the simpsons. nothing in the history of television is fucking with that stride they hit around seasons 3-7.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    in the 90's i hated seinfeld...i could not get with the humor at all. only when the show ended and they put it on re-run syndication did i fully realize its potential...( late nite blazed out tv watching at its best). i like the simpsons more but that gap has shrunk dramatically over the past 5 years. seinfeld is consistantly funny but when the simpsons episodes are on point they are UNFUKWITABLE! that being said "curb your enthusiasm" is the new heavyweight champ!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    which is the superior comedy series?

SIMPSONS - no doubt!

Seinfeld
    Friends
    Cheers
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    Roseanne

All overated trash.IMO

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Why choose? Buy one, then go back and buy the other. That may be a mighty simplistic answer, but both are equally funny. To me. Hell, most American towns have a station that reruns both shows two or three times a day - just sit down, watch 'em for free for a week, THEN see how you feel.

i feel like certain aspects of seinfeld have aged really awfully, like the sweaters or the episode where jerry keeps saying "i was getting jiggy with it".

I'll give you the sweaters - I thought Jerry and George's preppy fashions looked goofy at the time. But as far as the "gettin' jiggy with it" reference...hey, Jerry was spoofing himself when he said that. He had to know good and well that that expression was going to play itself out in a month; that's why he said it in such a detached way.

And as far as the argument about being timeless: with some shows, the dated cultural references are half the fun (like all those 80's sitcoms that had their token "punk" episode...or any show from '67-'70 that had a "hippie" episode...and the writers would always get the details WRONG...).

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    hands down seinfeld. Simpsons has been near unwatchable for at least the last 6 - 7 seasons.

and i can't mess with family guy either.

If you want seinfeld taken out of hte nineties and moved int othe more modern hbo format you need to check Curb Your Enthutiasm ... which is seinfeld writter Larry David's current show.... shit is hilarious.

CRAZY EYES KILLER

• Best show ever!

• How the hell did Seinfeld get his own show? Dude is Ben Stiller wack!

• girgir 329 Posts
    south park uber alles.

no one better combines crude potty humor and social commentary in a more effective way.

• I'd vote for The Simpsons. For some reason, I could never get into Seinfeld. Nowadays I have a lot of people telling me how great Family Guy is, but the episodes I've seen I've come away thinking 'meh.'

But I've been a Simpsons geek since the Christmas episode. Up until about season 9, each season has an abundance of classic episodes. For me, seasons 4,5,6, and 7 are when the show was really in its prime. I love the work David Mirkin did. His humor on the show Get A Life made me laugh, and it carried over to The Simpsons.

Plus, I've seen the shows from that era so many times that I'm waiting for lines - laughing before the jokes are said.

Now that being said...I do admire Seinfeld for stopping the show while it was on top. I have not watched a current episode of The Simpsons in years. I can't. The show has changed - from the way it looks (they don't use cel animation - all computer) to the way it relies on guest stars every week (a la Scooby Doo) and less on the 'minor' characters really takes away what made the earlier seasons so special.

But Stein - check out seasons 4,5, and 6. To me, those seasons are perfect.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    south park uber alles.

no one better combines crude potty humor and social commentary in a more effective way.

DERIVATIVE

• Duckman, Rocko's Modern Life, etc.

My shit right there. Rocko's Modern Life is the shiznit. Also does anybody watch The Critic or Dilbert. I like both.

I have never seen an episode of Seinfeld. Too grown up for my taste.

• How the hell did Seinfeld get his own show? Dude is Ben Stiller wack!

HAHAHA. Just seen this. Hell ya. He seems too boring. His voice is all monotone.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    unless your a girl guy who realizes that a little Sex & The City knowledge goes a loooong way when breaking the ice with that cute girl at the end of the bar[/b] i guess it would be friends VS. sex in the city.