MIA the next big thing? No.

drbrownscelraydrbrownscelray 648 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
[color:purple] I guess everyone can stop pretending like MIA is the next big thing now, considering that despite her tremendous amount of hype she didn't even manage to sell 10,000 copies of Arular in her debut week. I mean I hate to be a hater, but fuck it I am. I'm so sick of music critics trying to shove bullshit down my throat and hipsters who are completely disconnected from reality trying to dictate what the next big thing is. I mean shit, you have an article in every music magazine (and like 8 features in the village voice) and you've got the internet going nuts and you sell less than Purple City Byrd Gang? What gives? This all serves to bolster my belief that these blogs are an incestuous circle-jerk that only matters to other bloggers or people who wish they had blogs. This is NOT meant as a dis to anyone on here, I just never got this girl's hype and I still don't get it, and frankly I don't think anyone else outside of a tiny little circle really gets it either. Maybe this album will have a slow burn rise to the top, or maybe Interscope will put a huge amount of force behind it. But if all of the hot gas that has already been expended on her behalf made this tiny impact, why even bother? [/color] the numbers don't lie

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    File under: Reggaton

• File under: Reggaton

Word, I mean Daddy Yankee sold 2000 units or something. Byrd Gang bitch.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Word, I mean Daddy Yankee sold 2000 units or something. Byrd Gang bitch.

If it sells units, it must be good.

Ask about me.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    ahh the joys of sales figures.

i think it would be interestign to do the math on a situation like this... i mean you can put out 12"s with no publicity whatsoever, no press blah blah and still sell a good 500 - 1000 without "hipsters" "press" or "publicity" ... if you got a buzz you can mos def move that number up... and hell depending on the genre even the bass sales number might be differant.
    but at the same time people have to be more realistic with the ceiling that a certain genre / artist can even hope to attain.

for the amount of ink / moola / hype / major label shenanagens spilled over MIA that's an awful lot to live up to... and i for one fail to see how any indy gone major could live up to that level of expectation.

i mean after manufacturing / promo etc etc.. how many copies of the record would she have to sell to make the same amount as schlepping a few hundred / maybe a 1000 copies of the piracy boot?

curious

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    [color:purple] these blogs are an incestuous circle-jerk that only matters to other bloggers or people who wish they had blogs.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    [color:purple] I guess everyone can stop pretending like MIA is the next big thing now, considering that despite her tremendous amount of hype she didn't even manage to sell 10,000 copies of Arular in her debut week. I mean I hate to be a hater, but fuck it I am. I'm so sick of music critics trying to shove bullshit down my throat and hipsters who are completely disconnected from reality trying to dictate what the next big thing is. I mean shit, you have an article in every music magazine (and like 8 features in the village voice) and you've got the internet going nuts and you sell less than Purple City Byrd Gang? What gives? This all serves to bolster my belief that these blogs are an incestuous circle-jerk that only matters to other bloggers or people who wish they had blogs. This is NOT meant as a dis to anyone on here, I just never got this girl's hype and I still don't get it, and frankly I don't think anyone else outside of a tiny little circle really gets it either. Maybe this album will have a slow burn rise to the top, or maybe Interscope will put a huge amount of force behind it. But if all of the hot gas that has already been expended on her behalf made this tiny impact, why even bother? [/color]

the numbers don't lie

wait...you've got time to worry about this shit and i'm still waiting on a phone call? pfff

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Being that I'm not really up on all this "cool" type rap, what does MIA sound like? Blazing downtempo, jazzy or whatever??

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm predicting 4 pages.

What's my over/under?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Being that I'm not really up on all this "cool" type rap, what does MIA sound like? Blazing downtempo, jazzy or whatever??

nasal.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Kinda like a low budget Neneh Cherry.

I guess Buffalo Stance was a big in Sri Lanka.

Peace

h

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Neneh Cherry.

i'd tap

nasal.

like B-Real? What do the beats sound like?

• From a dJ's perspective, the single wasn't too bad a thing (as a promo ). I wouldn't go sprinting out to buy the lp over glass shards but the beat was OK to me.

File under GraigDizzieDavid.

They keep marketing this shit to Vice readers. Vice readers aren't actually into anything.

• And I don't even like Reggaton or whatever that is...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    From a dJ's perspective, the single wasn't too bad a thing (as a promo ). I wouldn't go sprinting out to buy the lp over glass shards but the beat was OK to me.

OK, but what if we replaced the glass shards with crushed velour?

I didn't really understand what all the fuss over MIA was about (musically, I mean--I understand the political hubbub, bub). But then again, there's a lot of hype I don't really understand.

nasal.

like B-Real? What do the beats sound like?

i think it's safe to say you would find it horribly horrible(as i do)...no slaps,whatsoever

• I think it's obvious the gal can't sing but that does not shock me these days.

nasal, as in a late night shouting match with a gang of crazy drunk biatches from London. They've developed this strange accent which sounds like a cross between Prince Charles and Ali G. Kind of like Cappo but with shit grime beats.

and who the fuck is still checking for C-murder?

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    ...no slaps,whatsoever
    Well it's not really rap for starters, its' some sort of weird british dancy arty hybrid which I think is beter than most of the other shit I've heard come out of England (ie The Streets or Dizee Rascal). For what it is I like it, it's fun and different than most stuff out right now so I bought the record, it's not here yet so I can't give a full review yet.

• and who the fuck is still checking for C-murder?

I picked up the latest single out of the 50 cent bin...it sucked.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    damn, yall are being a little rough no?

Maybe i'm looking at it from a DJ perspective, but Pull Up the People, Galang etc. are dope. There's some good songs on that album.

Yeah this ain't really my cup of tea! I don't know what really to classify it as though. Whoever is doin her publicity is doin one hella of a job.

from a dj perspective...i understand...that "pull up" song aint half bad.....but to ride around in the whip ...not my thing......

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    damn, yall are being a little rough no?

Maybe i'm looking at it from a DJ perspective, but Pull Up the People, Galang etc. are dope. There's some good songs on that album.

I think this album is tight. I guess I am a 22 year old city living college student so I am Target Audience for this shit, but I have elegant taste, so it's difficult to throw me for a curve and all. But I'm all chilling in the living room like what you want for ten dollars? ANYTHING YOU WANT because that song is kinda chill dudes. but shit that hello this is MIAAAAA song just sounds better over Goodies on that mixtape. and I think maybe Fire Fire is the tightest shit on the record

AND SERIOUSLY that CMurder single is SO BAD I am like dying. Actually in my eyes I start to SEE MURDER when I hear it I'm going down to the vinyl pressing plant and murdering all the people who are like HAHHAHAHA WE WILL PRESS THIS FOR YOU FOR MONEY

• A couple of friends hyped this to me. They even went to a small club gig she did here in Toronto and for awhile were on a "it's the gig everyone will say they were at" type shit.

Finally one friend cranked some in his car for me. I was expecting some NWA via the Tamil Tigers "Off the pigs!" steez.

Let's just say...

UNDERWHELMED

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Wow, number 46 in sales on Amazon is pretty large... she's in the slot above Queens of the Stone Age (are they not the hot shit anymore?)

This one's gonna be a grower yawl, sit tight... a lot of people who are interested haven't even heard it yet

And those of you who've only heard the single are not really qualified to speak on the album...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Oh, and uhhh...

I'd tap