Hey, you know what man? Fuck Arons.

124»

Comments

• or how about this ENTIRE FUCKING THREAD SUCKS!

just kidding.

• that story was fucked up on homie's part, but to comment on the rest, i've always wanted to fucking ransack "the record collector" on melrose, AKA the fat miserable bastid, just on general principle.

That fucktard is rediculous. He doesn't price anything so he can fuck you. $20 for dollar bin records. I've only baught 3 records from there. Two had skips. All were overpriced. When I tried to bargain with him he got a little heated "I already discounted them."

Needless to say, he loses out on $100's if not $1,000s from me. Bad business.

• LA does suck right now, far as rekkids. amoeba is . you can find one or two nice pieces every once in a while, but for the most part it's littered with common-ass dollar binners priced at $7.99. fuck that shit.

Man I think I read on here not to long ago someone pulled the Linda Tillery with Freedom Time on it for like a dollar from amoeba. but anyways. I have been to amoeba twice. pretty much the last two times I went to LA. I was wondering if they let you use portables in there since they don't have listening stations. Are you allowed to bring in a portable or is that a no-no? I didn't read the store rules so just wondering.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Are you allowed to bring in a portable or is that a no-no? I didn't read the store rules so just wondering.

no, its my biggest frustration with these fuckers caus while they don't let you play shit on a portable they sell numarks and vestex players. Shit is fucked up. And you remember that scene in Scratch where Z-trip plays one of those racecar portabl things that go arond the vinyl? THAT WAS JUST A SCENE

File under: fantasy

• Are you allowed to bring in a portable or is that a no-no? I didn't read the store rules so just wondering.

I doubt it since everything is sealed to withstand a nuclear blast. I hate opening records from there. I always hurt myself.

• Are you allowed to bring in a portable or is that a no-no? I didn't read the store rules so just wondering.

I doubt it since everything is sealed to withstand a nuclear blast. I hate opening records from there. I always hurt myself.
    and more often than not, when you ask to see the condition and they open up their plastic sleeve with the super duck tape, when the person behind the counter re-seals it, they get tape on the cover itself that winds up slightly tearing a portion. i hate that shit. amoeba LA sucks, for the most part.

• What's the deal with Record Recycler, Record Surplus, House of Records, etc out there? Are those guys still around? And I heard about mad spots out in the suburbs like Long Beach and Inland Empire...

we have never heard of any of those stores and have no idea what your talking about....Los Angeles is dry...Long Beach and Inland Empire are make believe cities..they do not exist

You need to go out to the westside of LA then. I'm surprised you never heard of Record Surplus out on Pico right where the 405 cuts across, that was like THE west LA spot. And House of Records used to be right down the street - used to have a plastic RCA dog statue out front.

Record Rover used to be the shit too, but I heard it's closed. Used to be on Sunset near Vermont around the corner from the old Fat Beats location.

And there was another spot on La Cienega just below Pico on the west side of the street. Never knew the name of it, but remember they had a shit ton of 45s.

It was called record store. Original huh ? the one with dimes glued onto the counter right ? i used to live in that fucking store until about the last 30 times i went there they didn't have any new records. pucho yaina for 12. yes please.

record surplus is the shit. i have so many fond memories of that place, plus they have TWO record players for the listening station. east of underground for 1.85. yes please.

rhino used to be dope too. then it got weak. then the last time i went there i foudn some goodies. pat britt jazzman for 1.99 yes please.

bagatelle too, haven't been there in a while but it used to be magnificent.

then of course you got the two big swaps. and the thrift stores. i still think la is probably the top two or three cities for records.

arons i have never really felt that place. i've never found anything that good there. it's always trashed condition records and those stickers that won't come off the covers. they paste em all over everything, labels, actual record grooves, about 8 or 9 on the cover. i've torn many a record cover trying to get them off.

anybody on here ever go to that place in the valley called the soul unit ? closed a bout 5 years ago, but they had heat for a while. you guys in the city are spoiled the valley has almost no record stores.

dave

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    It's funny, I've been on an anti Aaron's kick for a while now too. I went through my collection recently and ended up trading in/ or trashing all the things I've got there because the condition is always suspect....except for the nick drake lp I found there a couple years ago...my sole good "find."
    Have you guys tried Freakbeat. They sometimes have some great stuff. Rockaway is usually too expensive, but sometimes you can get a steal. I try to stick to Ameoba, Atomic and the Pasadena record show.

But comparing New York shops like Good Record to Beat Market is stupid. Beat Market had a terrible selection and the good stuff on consignment didn't do it for me either. Good Record had the best selection of any record store I've ever seen. Mad consistant as I was pulling almost every record one after another. I deliberated for about a half hour trying to choose what combination of records to buy. LA needs a record store just like that. Like a less pretentious, better selection Atomic.