Sealed Records

triptoyourmindtriptoyourmind 294 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
So I got a sealed copy of leo's sunshipp today and the lp was warped when I opened it. It plays fine, but if it didnt, is it fair to ask the seller to take it back? I'm curious as to what would be fair in this situation. Great lp by the way.

Comments

• So I got a sealed copy of leo's sunshipp today and the lp was warped when I opened it. It plays fine, but if it didnt, is it fair to ask the seller to take it back? I'm curious as to what would be fair in this situation. Great lp by the way.
    Tricky question. Some sort of mutual agreement might be in place... But still it's kind of buyers risk with these... Dunno.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Invite him round to watch the game and use it for serving bean dip?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

Tricky question. Some sort of mutual agreement might be in place... But still it's kind of buyers risk with these... Dunno.

I agree. You have to expect that it might be warped when it is old and still sealed. It doesn't always happen but a lot of the sealed records I find end up being a little warped.

• When ever I sell someone a sealed LP, I tell them that I can not vouch for the warp factor seeing as I have never examined the actual said vinyl. I feel it is the risk you take when bying something unopened that may have been laying around for twenty years or so. I love copping sealed vinyl, personally. I have had a few ultra-warped experiences; but usually I end up having a beautiful never-played copy of something I enjoy.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i'd say for sealed records it's definitely buyer beware. if it was in the store you couldn't check if it was warped either, and you'd be in the same place. i almost expect old sealed records to be at least slightly warped at this point.

of course you could always just ask the seller nicely and see what the response is. especially if it's too warped to play without adjusting the weight a bunch.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

I agree. You have to expect that it might be warped when it is old and still sealed. It doesn't always happen but a lot of the sealed records I find end up being a little warped.

Sucks, but so true

• I suppose it's worth asking if they can crack it open for you before they send it, But I guess it's just luck. The lp is a bit bean dip bowled too. Win some you lose some.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    did you buy this off the guy on Ebay with sealed stock?

• yea, I got a copy of tyrone thomas and the whole darn family too. Anyone else reckon the prices off those two lp's have dropped heaps lately? Leo's sunshipp used to go for about a hundred, now it's lucky to get $50. Im not complaining though.

• Honestly, I try to stay away from the "SS" records.
    You have to pay a premium and I've been f**ked over by bean dip burners

In a perfect world, sellers would take responsibility, but sellers don't have any
    knowledge of what's lurking inside a sealed LP...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    sealed records= open them up

• i say it's the buyers risk. sorry. stein. . .
    usually about 20% of the sealed records i buy are warped. so i know what kind uf gamble i'm taking. i dont like buying sealed records too much.

• sealed records= open them up

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    If I have sealed LPs to sell, I always open them before I send them to the buyer to check for warps etc!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    buyer's risk!

a warped record isn't that bad. i wouldn't complain about it, unless it's impossible to play the record. my warped records still play perfectly...

• sealed records= open them up
    but as a buyer, there's a bit of a thrill in opening an lp that's been sealed for like 30 years and being the first person to pull it out the sleeve. but as mentioned, like 1 out of every 4 or 5 sealed lp's i've found have been slightly warped, and that also sucks.

• I just got a sealed lp from ebay and when i got it it was used and beat up then resealed. It was only $3 so i don't care that much but i gave negative feedback because she was selling a bunch of them the same way and i wanted to give other buyers a heads up.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Did you guys read the Scratch Magazine w/ Just Blaze on the cover? Da Beatminerz was talking about this. They also explained how to unwarp records. Another disadvantage in buying sealed records is the fact that you can shrink wrap records. All that you need is a shrink wrap machine, a record, record sleeve and you got SS record.