Top Face Melters on the Album Download Thread?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    -Webster Lewis

I am so pumped to listen to all this shit!

I couldn't get this one to work for me, can someone please send me some MP3's?

By The way would anyone be interested in me putting up the Michael Orr "Spread Love" LP? or should I not bother?

also I was loving the Tommie Young but I wish it was recorded louder

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    gotta add

JR BAiley-Just me N You

this is like a lost Marvin Gaye/Leon Ware session. INCREDIBLE!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I am totally feeling that Heaven & Earth that was uploaded. It sounded especially good at 3:30 a.m. after not being able to sleep with a cup of tea at the computer.

Maceo & All The Kings Men was also one I hadn't heard and now NEED. Anybody have one to spare?

Put on the Larry T & Family and think it's nice. Dude's voice is real off, but it contributes to the charm of the recording.

Looking forward to the Contemporary Jazz Mass...

I have so many blue folders on my desktop now that it's ridiculous. Taking my time going through them all - don't want to overload and miss out on something.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

East of Underground is well worth the hype. Loved that shit. But I like it for its backstory and not just the music itself (though I thought that sounded good too).

I also very much enjoyed that record.

What is the backstory if one may ask?

It is an Army band, stationed in Germany.
    Released as a double LP, the project was the result of the bloodiest battle of the bands. The 2 surviving bands got the priveledge of pressing up some tunes to wax, and the East of Underground, a group composed of members from all over the you ess of aye, brought the realness to your ears.

The other band, SOAP, have a drumbreak on their record.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    -Webster Lewis

By The way would anyone be interested in me putting up the Michael Orr "Spread Love" LP? or should I not bother?

I think puchito posted the 1976 Michael Orr album already...but if you've got the later ~1980 album, please post it up!

here's a re-up of the Webster Lewis:

http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1EBEH3XOSAOQG1ZM99W6AM757M

Been enjoying the Karin Jones, Karma and JR Bailey LP's non-stop!

request for Guzzo: Can you plaese post up the Homeboy and COL LP?

SG

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    -Webster Lewis

I think puchito posted the 1976 Michael Orr album already...but if you've got the later ~1980 album, please post it up!

here's a re-up of the Webster Lewis:

http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1EBEH3XOSAOQG1ZM99W6AM757M

Been enjoying the Karin Jones, Karma and JR Bailey LP's non-stop!

request for Guzzo: Can you plaese post up the Homeboy and COL LP?

SG

good lookin out on the Webster Lewis, hopefully its still up when I get home late tonight.

I was going to put up the 1980 Michael Orr LP and Homeboy and the COL would be pretty easy to put up since I already got most of the tracks saved on my computer already.

Expect some action in that thread come Tuesday morning

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yes, well, any advice on this would be welcome, since I record everything nudging into the red, right at the edge of what my software claims would be distortion, but when I play it back, admittedly it sounds too quiet...

I am shocked by the hatting on East of Underground - I thought that record was off the hook...but, I have a true affection for raw recordings of covers of songs that I really like, so that LP just fits the bill. I find the recording quality to be one of it's charms...if it was all cleaned up, it would probably lose some of it's appeal to me. Same with the Whatnauts, that record stands out over other sweet soul for me, because it sounds like it was recorded in somebody's garage in one take...

Also feeling:

Bernard Purdie

Arthur Verocai

Pharoahs

Boscoe

Black Slavery Days

ESG!

-------

Still need to listen to:

Gal Costa

Sonny Sharrock

J.R. Bailey

And a few more hidden in my hard drive...

-------

Could not get to work:

Serge G: Cannibus

The Hellers (all 4 times it was uploaded, it wouldn't work!)

-------

Did anybody like the Haystacks Balboa?
    I knew it was a selective taste, but I figured lots of people on here seem to
    sweat psych/acid rock, and that's one of my favorite more
    obscure ones that I own...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Did any of y'all listen to the Blackout 70 shit that I put up?

Not really well-recorded, but the moment that was captured on that Album is what makes it for me. I really love it. The crowd energy is intense.

Did I mention that my bush is sore?

• I'll add my name to the "don't get the East of Underground" hype list. If they'd pressed up 500,000 copies, I doubt many of you would care about it.

But I'm feelin' these:

Harlem Pop Trotters
    Mulata Afro-Latin jumpoff
    Lost Generation
    The Chosen Few In Miami

Thanks to everyone who uploaded. My iAudio is bursting at the seams.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Add me to the list of people wondering how people can hatt on EofU.

Even if there were 500,000 of 'em out there and they still ran $100 a piece, I'd pick the album up on the strength of the medleys alone. "I'll Bet You" into "California Dreaming"????

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I'm repping Sons and Daughters of Lite. Last time I was looking at that it was a multi-hundred dolla' private I'd never own. Glad to see it's been properly reished

Yeah, I think this thread exposes the difference and "problem" of MP3's over LP's...if most of you who are "not feeling" East of Underground came across that record for $5, knowing nothing about it, you would -pardon the expression- crap your pants. Would I pay $1,000 for it? Hell no. But there aren't too many -if any - records in the world I would pay anything close to that for...maybe a private press recording of Jessica Alba moaning my name and sweet talking me for 45 minutes...anyway, back on track, I think it's easy to dismiss some of these albums when they are just MP3 files you downloaded for free, but if you came across the same album on OG vinyl format for a good price, your appreciation would be much different...

BTW that Webster Lewis is an overrated, expensive snooze fest IMO. NICE break, but everything else is kinda lame. same organ lick for a whole 17 minute song? WACK!

• Add me to the list of people wondering how people can hatt on EofU.

Even if there were 500,000 of 'em out there and they still ran $100 a piece, I'd pick the album up on the strength of the medleys alone. "I'll Bet You" into "California Dreaming"????

Seriously. If I had the dough I'd pay 4 figures without blinking.

I haven't heard the copy on that thread but my mp3s sound incredible.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

not yet but I plan on DLing it when I get home, did you listen to the Sarah Webster Fabio?

I'm not as excited about this as you may think I might be

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Yeah, I think this thread exposes the difference and "problem" of MP3's over LP's...if most of you who are "not feeling" East of Underground came across that record for $5, knowing nothing about it, you would -pardon the expression- crap your pants. Would I pay $1,000 for it? Hell no. But there aren't too many -if any - records in the world I would pay anything close to that for...maybe a private press recording of Jessica Alba moaning my name and sweet talking me for 45 minutes...anyway, back on track, I think it's easy to dismiss some of these albums when they are just MP3 files you downloaded for free, but if you came across the same album on OG vinyl format for a good price, your appreciation would be much different...

I hear that...

Treat records with RESPECT Y0![/b]

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I am totally feeling that Heaven & Earth that was uploaded. It sounded especially good at 3:30 a.m. after not being able to sleep with a cup of tea at the computer.

yes this sends tingles down the spine man.

Did anybody like the Haystacks Balboa?
    I knew it was a selective taste, but I figured lots of people on here seem to
    sweat psych/acid rock, and that's one of my favorite more
    obscure ones that I own...

yeah i peeped it.. didnt blow me away but ive got it on here still to give it some more spins before i make up my mind

Yeah, I think this thread exposes the difference and "problem" of MP3's over LP's...if most of you who are "not feeling" East of Underground came across that record for $5, knowing nothing about it, you would -pardon the expression- crap your pants. Would I pay $1,000 for it?

well that depends on a few situations... if it was in my price range (ie under $10) i would maybe be tempted on its oddity... this is assuming i didnt know anything about it.

if / when i foundout it was worth loot it would be going straight out the door.

its not the type of record i need to listen to on the regular... its entertaining.. i like its unhinged quality.. but covers and medleys are the kind of thing i might peep once in awhile and have a chuckle over but its nothing to flip my wig on.

im happy to have the mp3 logged and filed and if one shows up in the field im gonna get that money.

Just checked out the Chuck Jackson LP, I am definitely feeling this one...solid[/b] 70's soul - also feeling pissed, because I passed on a very cheap copy of this a couple of months ago.

What's up with the soul cover of Jefferson Starship's "Miracles??"

• The Goldwax collection was killer.

James Carr and Spencer Wiggins are so fucking dope, and curiously almost never mentioned 'round these here parts of the interweb.

Not really well-recorded, but the moment that was captured on that Album is what makes it for me. I really love it. The crowd energy is intense.

i peeped it, its ok. nothing i'd spend over $50 on.

• the placebo album is fucking me up

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I guess maybe it's just me, but many people here are truly harshing my mellow in regards to the overflow of generosity on the ALBUM DL thread by getting prickly over what y'all DIDN'T care for. Can we have just one positive deal around here before we start criticizing shit that someone took time to make available?

STOP HARSHING MY FUCKING MELLOW!

• The Alkebu Lan blew my mind - way past just being face melting for me. I started listening to it while walking around Brooklyn and continued listening to it as I jumped on the train to Manhattan to buy the new Wax Poetics w/ Ashrock's article on the East. Just gotta thank Ashrock again for throwing this up.

Also thoroughly enjoyed[/b]:

Sons & Daughters of Lite
    Arthur Vocai
    Birthright
    Archie Whitewater
    Dee Dee Bridgewater

I was dissapointed by,[/b]:

Sun Ra & Amiri Baraka (really, really disappointed)
    Sonny Sharrock
    Ernie Hines (I was warned this was kinda weak though...)

And, I few of the ones I already had, but are great listens[/b]:

East Of Underground (I don't understand how someone wouldn't love this)
    Barbara & Ernie
    Baby Huey
    Ike Turner
    J.R. Bailey
    Serge Gainsbourg

Still hoping to see[/b]:

Any Tunji Oyelana
    Ensemble Al-Salaam

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Still hoping to see[/b]:

Black Ruby

• Did any of y'all listen to the Blackout 70 shit that I put up?

i peeped it, its ok. nothing i'd spend over $50 on.

You were waiting this whole thread just to say that weren't ya

• Did any of y'all listen to the Blackout 70 shit that I put up?

i peeped it, its ok. nothing i'd spend over 3 soft tacos, 2 bean burritos, and a mexican pizza on.

You were waiting this whole thread just to say that weren't ya

• parenparen 537 Posts
    The Air LP is encoded pretty poorly, but Googie sounds good regardless. My copy is pretty beat so I can't encode it any better, but would greatly appreciate a better rip by anyone else who has it.

Of albums that I hadn't heard until this week - Barbara & Ernie and East of Underground have been repeated with the most frequency.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    J.R. Bailey
    Arthur Verocai