What Organ Jazz Records Do YOu Neeed?

2»

Comments

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    rueben wilson- love bug

plaese to send to asbury park johnny

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Lonnie Smith Drives

LONNIE SMITH IS NEXT!!!! NO ONE IS SAFE!!!!!!

Drives can go.

But you must keep a personal copy of Think. That's a mindblowing album. "Son of Icebag" version wow. title track, wow.

out of curiousity, is this post about getting rid of soul jazz lps a la prestige (which just so happen to have organ on them), because Rusty Bryant, Melvin Sparks, etc. are not organ players, although they have organ on their records.

• Lonnie Smith Drives

LONNIE SMITH IS NEXT!!!! NO ONE IS SAFE!!!!!!

Drives can go.

But you must keep a personal copy of Think. That's a mindblowing album. "Son of Icebag" version wow. title track, wow.

out of curiousity, is this post about getting rid of soul jazz lps a la prestige (which just so happen to have organ on them), because Rusty Bryant, Melvin Sparks, etc. are not organ players, although they have organ on their records.

Yeah I kind of included them too.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Charles Earland-Live at the Lighthouse
    plaese.

I have one if you need it. [email]Thedustywon@yahoo.com[/email]

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I can barely stand hammond organ but I got a few I'd like to get

• Rueben Wilson on Cadet
    • Mohawks"Champ" (Pama)
    • Wynder K Frog "Sunshine Superfrog"
    • Jimmy McGriff "electric Funk"
    • Charles Kynard "Yo Mama don't Dance"

• I can barely stand hammond organ but I got a few I'd like to get

Rueben Wilson on Cadet

This doesn't really fit in with these other records in terms of sound, much more slicker. Good nonetheless, although there are more solid records for the $75 tag.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    yeah, I thought it would be more slick but I am not into that Organ boogaloo type sound. I heard the reish and liked it (I think he may of had a couple LP's on Cadet, I'm refering to the one from '75 where he's rockin a bowtie).

I've softened a little on my hate of hammond based souljazz but I still ain't completely lovin it. The Brittish cheese is still kinda nice sounding to me so hence the mohawks and sunshine superfrog requests

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    you all NEED to checkout ceasar fraziers playing on hail and outlook lps, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn he's

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Drives can go.

you know, when I was a young boy, I passed on mint copies of Think and Turning Point for $8 a piece because they weren't funky enough for me.

Now I am having trouble finding clean copies.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Turning Point" will complete the Lonnie Smith collection for me.
    Anyone thinking "Drives" is less than 100 percent dope, is on crack.

I need Brother Jack's "Moon Rappin'" big time...

Jimmy Smith "Paid in Full"

Johnny Hammond Smith "Soul Talk"

Charlie Earland "Black Talk" - I know this is an "easy" one to find, but it never turns up...I actually have the harder to find "Black Drops" but can't find Talk for some reason...

And I'd just like to say, I always like Brother Jack McDuff records, funky or not...the early Prestige ones are great jazz to listen to around the crib, and I just got "Do It Now" on Atlantic, with Melvin Sparks, and was definitely feeling it.

• Drives can go.

you know, when I was a young boy, I passed on mint copies of Think and Turning Point for $8 a piece because they weren't funky enough for me.

Now I am having trouble finding clean copies.

I kept "Think" but I gave "Turning point" to my girlfriend to show her how much I NEED her

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Johnny Hammond Smith "Soul Talk"

I need this on 45, myself.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I Really need an OG copy of Ronnie Foster w/ "Mystic Brew." I found a copy years a go at Cheapo's in Boston and was dissapointed to see it was a re-ish when I got home. It always hits $40+ on the bay and I'm holding out. It will be mine some day.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'd really like to get my hands on Larry Young 'Lawrence Of Newark'. No mentions of Mr. Khalid Yasin yet?? He has a whole different approach to the organ that I like a lot. I'd like to check some more of his 60s BN stuff as well. A big hole in my collection.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Blue Mode

• gotta cosign on "Think", one of the deepest hammond records I have heard/own, and I am including Larry Young's blue note output in this assesment.

we need a "deep" graemlin

• I'd really like to get my hands on Larry Young 'Lawrence Of Newark'. No mentions of Mr. Khalid Yasin yet?? He has a whole different approach to the organ that I like a lot. I'd like to check some more of his 60s BN stuff as well. A big hole in my collection.

Damn you just missed a copy, I had a spare up til the "heatrock" sale....

• Can I get some Charles Kynard? Finally got a copy of Lawrence of Newark last weekend. Feelin' it.

• Blue Mode

Long gone. Not a stunner, IMO.

I Really need an OG copy of Ronnie Foster w/ "Mystic Brew." I found a copy years a go at Cheapo's in Boston and was dissapointed to see it was a re-ish when I got home. It always hits $40+ on the bay and I'm holding out. It will be mine some day.

keep diggin and youll find, yes its a real nice one for sure!!! always loved that tribe sample too...

I'd really like to get my hands on Larry Young 'Lawrence Of Newark' No mentions of Mr. Khalid Yasin yet?? He has a whole different approach to the organ that I like a lot. I'd like to check some more of his 60s BN stuff as well. A big hole in my collection.

if i ever catch another LYLON you know ima throw it in your direction coZ!

• anybody need a Kynard "woga"? holler.