Weekend Finds? RR I GUESS

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Awesome LP from the 1973 tour of Japan - features a lot of the "second generation" Temps, but still a great performance featuring lots of their best, later era material. Never released on vinyl in the USA, originally only in Japan, and this is a Dutch pressing from 1975. Copped for a fin.

Strange, I've never come across that one. Dutch tamla pressings are usually not that hard to find here. I love the Whitfield era Temps. I'll be on the lookout for that one. What material are they performing, the 60s hits or the psychy stuff?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Strange, I've never come across that one. Dutch tamla pressings are usually not that hard to find here. I love the Whitfield era Temps. I'll be on the lookout for that one. What material are they performing, the 60s hits or the psychy stuff?

Live in Japan - Temptations [1975]
    All tracks live.

Side 1:

Plastic Man
    I Can't Get Next To You
    Love Woke Me Up This Morning
    Medley: Get Ready, My Girl, The Way You Do The Things You Do, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face/Hey Girl (I Like Your Style)

Side 2:

Cloud Nine
    Introduction Of Bank And Group
    A Song For You
    Masterpiece
    Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
    Papa Was A Rolling Stone

• man, were having a record swap out in the parking lot of store right now, I only had 9 bucks til tomorrow(I opened up a new bank account friday and cant get my $ til then)bad fuduciary timing on my part...had to pass up stuff like Alice Clark, Seven-b 45s...but with my last remaining $9 I scooped these 3 45s

sweet and innocent "express your love"(active)
    the brothers of hope "nickol nickol"(gamble)
    sweet inspirtations "dirty tricks"(stax)

oh well, not too bad.

• Awesome LP from the 1973 tour of Japan - features a lot of the "second generation" Temps, but still a great performance featuring lots of their best, later era material. Never released on vinyl in the USA, originally only in Japan, and this is a Dutch pressing from 1975. Copped for a fin.

there's also a german pressing of this one with a different cover - contains a great version of Papa was a rolling stone

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Al Green - Livin' for you.
    Mary Jane Girls - s/t(promo)
    Freeez - Pop goes my love.(12)inch.
    Freeez - I.O.U.(12)inch.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    What's up with the Quatermass? Looks progish with promise...

"Quatermass & the Pit" is a pretty ill Hammer Films movie from the 60's.

yeah man it's British prog from 1970...haven't listened to it yet but I've heard good things.

It's also a $300 LP

WHAT! get the fuck outta here! I copped tha for $4.00 on a whim didn't think it was all that.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Live in Japan - Temptations [1975]
    All tracks live.

Side 1:

Plastic Man
    I Can't Get Next To You
    Love Woke Me Up This Morning
    Medley: Get Ready, My Girl, The Way You Do The Things You Do, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face/Hey Girl (I Like Your Style)

Side 2:

Cloud Nine
    Introduction Of Bank And Group
    A Song For You
    Masterpiece
    Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
    Papa Was A Rolling Stone

You need to upload that one somewhere, SOI!!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Thanks for the Temps info SOI.

This weeks finds:

Thanks to Upskiboo for dropping that Two Man Sound on me for my b-day. I can't wait to play it out, it's going to cause much damage on the dancefloor!

I know the UK press of Kawaida looks weaksauceish compared to the O'be original posted by Paycheck, but I just had to go back to the local store and cop it after Aschrock's record day post. The music is still good and the packaging is only semi-ugly. I don't think I'll be bumping into the OG anyways.

• Not a weekend find - but since I can't start threads figured I'd just pop the question here. Anyone know much about a private funk Lp by Steady Wailin' Sid called Spirit of '76 With Love? It has to be one of the mind blowingest private funk Lp's out there and definitely in my top 10. Just curious if he did anything else and if anyone has the lowdown on Sid. I haven't been able to scrape up any info on it.

• What's up with the Quatermass? Looks progish with promise...

"Quatermass & the Pit" is a pretty ill Hammer Films movie from the 60's.

yeah man it's British prog from 1970...haven't listened to it yet but I've heard good things.

It's also a $300 LP

fuck i just realized i passed that record up a couple years ago for like 2 or 3 bucks. i listened to it and was not feeling it. oops.

the only things i've gotten in the last couple days are african suite[/b] on mca kind of funky disco with niagara like percussion

lord funk[/b] superfunk special and natural life[/b] private/small label minnesota jazz record with some funky cuts. actually got two copies off ebay recently. oh yeah and another copy of blossom dearie sings[/b] and a couple modern soul records as well as tarika blue's[/b] first record. very dope the closest to james mason's record without the james mason prices.

dave

• Not a weekend find - but since I can't start threads figured I'd just pop the question here. Anyone know much about a private funk Lp by Steady Wailin' Sid called Spirit of '76 With Love? It has to be one of the mind blowingest private funk Lp's out there and definitely in my top 10. Just curious if he did anything else and if anyone has the lowdown on Sid. I haven't been able to scrape up any info on it.

Paging indiana45s?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    one more

Jim Schoenfeld-The Key is love(private rock record with one kinda funky upbeat tune that i like, and a real downer tune called "tims song". this guy was a pro hockey player?)

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    went up to New Paltz with my wife today. we came back with three of these:

and a peck of these:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    one more

Jim Schoenfeld-The Key is love(private rock record with one kinda funky upbeat tune that i like, and a real downer tune called "tims song". this guy was a pro hockey player?)

HAHA! Holy shit!

He has another album, called "Schony," that I always look for, because it cracks me up so hard.

David Letterman had it on a "Dave's Record Collection" segment a few years ago, clowning on it, and it freaked me out because dude was at the time an NHL coach and does TV and everything, and has a rep as being a real hardass, and here he was rocking out "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" on some local hero shit!

I actually e-mailed the guy who was the host of "NHL2Nite" on ESPN2 one time, when I saw the "Schony" LP on eBay, telling him he should buy it and pull it out on Schoenfeld when he was co-hosting, to bust on him. ESPN dude wrote back this frenzied all-caps "HE HATES ANYONE TALKING ABOUT THAT!!!" - which definitely made me laugh.

This one has sold for $40-$100+ - the one you have I read one guy claiming was even harder to find than "Schony" and therefore is probably even more sought after.

these days he's coach of the Hartford Wolfpack, in the AHL.

haha awesome! im not up on hockey shit, or sports in general really. thanks for the info!

• After a long dry spell, I was finally able to visit the record fairy

basically $1.50 each

Bobby Paunetto - Commit to Memory
    D. Axelrod - Strange Ladies
    Shelly Manne - Mannekind
    Barry Miles - Scatbird
    Mod-Mods - Heaven's door
    Paul Jeffrey - s/t
    Randy Brecker - Score
    Joe Beck - Nature Boy
    Paul Bley Synthesizer Show s/t
    Eddie Palmieri - Justicia
    Bobby Valentin - Va a la Carcel
    Buddy Holly - Showcase
    Bedlam - s/t
    Lebron Brothers - New Horizon
    Valentico Valdes - Amor Con Salsa
    Ray Mantilla Space Station - Hands of Fire
    El Gran Combo - Pata Pata Jala Jala Boogaloo
    Roberto Faz - Baila Conmingo
    Giants - s/t
    Cymande - s/t (SEALED)
    Ted Curson - Pop Wine
    Pacheo and Ny Worlds Faire
    Ray Jay and East-siders - Roly Poly
    Orchestra Harlow - El Exigente (sealed...opened to see clouds pressing ;( )
    Bobby Cruz w/ Ricardo Ray - Amor En La Escuela
    Joe Cuba - Cooking the Sauce
    Joe Cuba - Steppin' Out
    Ismael Rivera - De Colores
    Cachao - Cuban Jam Sessions in Miniature
    Ray Baretto - Power (Sealed)
    Allegre All-Stars - Petrido (Sealed)
    Tnt Band - Tnt = Dynamite
    Pacheco y su Charanga
    Pacheco - Viva Africa
    Bryan Auger - Befour
    Joe Henderson - Black is the Color
    Cal Tjader - Latin Concert
    Watts 103rd Street band - Together
    Enoch Light - Action
    Chad and Jeremy - -Of Cabbages and Kings (only for the cover !)
    Dave Pike - Jazz for the Jet Set
    Black Merda - s/t
    Free - Fire and Water
    Poets of Rhythm - Practice What you Preach
    Sonora Ponocena - s/t
    Lionel Hampton - Please Sunrise
    Charles Earland - Black talk
    TNT Band - The Meditation
    Keem-O-Sabe - the Electric Indian
    Codona - s/t

• beautiful record.

After a long dry spell, I was finally able to visit the record fairy

basically $1.50 each

Bobby Paunetto - Commit to Memory
    D. Axelrod - Strange Ladies
    Shelly Manne - Mannekind
    Barry Miles - Scatbird
    Mod-Mods - Heaven's door
    Paul Jeffrey - s/t
    Randy Brecker - Score
    Joe Beck - Nature Boy
    Paul Bley Synthesizer Show s/t
    Eddie Palmieri - Justicia
    Bobby Valentin - Va a la Carcel
    Buddy Holly - Showcase
    Bedlam - s/t
    Lebron Brothers - New Horizon
    Valentico Valdes - Amor Con Salsa
    Ray Mantilla Space Station - Hands of Fire
    El Gran Combo - Pata Pata Jala Jala Boogaloo
    Roberto Faz - Baila Conmingo
    Giants - s/t
    Cymande - s/t (SEALED)
    Ted Curson - Pop Wine
    Pacheo and Ny Worlds Faire
    Ray Jay and East-siders - Roly Poly
    Orchestra Harlow - El Exigente (sealed...opened to see clouds pressing ;( )
    Bobby Cruz w/ Ricardo Ray - Amor En La Escuela
    Joe Cuba - Cooking the Sauce
    Joe Cuba - Steppin' Out
    Ismael Rivera - De Colores
    Cachao - Cuban Jam Sessions in Miniature
    Ray Baretto - Power (Sealed)
    Allegre All-Stars - Petrido (Sealed)
    Tnt Band - Tnt = Dynamite
    Pacheco y su Charanga
    Pacheco - Viva Africa
    Bryan Auger - Befour
    Joe Henderson - Black is the Color
    Cal Tjader - Latin Concert
    Watts 103rd Street band - Together
    Enoch Light - Action
    Chad and Jeremy - -Of Cabbages and Kings (only for the cover !)
    Dave Pike - Jazz for the Jet Set
    Black Merda - s/t
    Free - Fire and Water
    Poets of Rhythm - Practice What you Preach
    Sonora Ponocena - s/t
    Lionel Hampton - Please Sunrise
    Charles Earland - Black talk
    TNT Band - The Meditation
    Keem-O-Sabe - the Electric Indian
    Codona - s/t

WHOA! were these all from a store?!?!

• beautiful record.

Picked up a sealed copy of "When we get married" recently.

Intruders = very under-rated.

I need this one bad.

• Picked up these:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Whoa, what a coinkidink!

Real headz do indeed know the deal!

went up to Willcox[/b] with my ladyfriend[/b] today. we came back with three of these:

and a peck of these:

I'd never been there before and went only 'cause my ladyfriend D*wn asked me to. Ran into my current district manager, my old manager when I worked grocery 12 years ago and a real good friend from back in the day. So fuckin' random.

Herm

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

Nice folk rock record with some psych touches. I already had an excellent 45 from it, and was glad to find the LP.

I really like this Lp, but haven't listened to it in a while. Thanks for the reminder.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    My first ebay purchase in a long time:

Lonnie Liston Smith- Astral Traveling (white label promo)

• Nice folk rock record with some psych touches. I already had an excellent 45 from it, and was glad to find the LP.

I really like this Lp, but haven't listened to it in a while. Thanks for the reminder.

I also have this somewhere,definately need to pull it out for another listen, after checkin this thread,thanks for the reminder.

• sold records at the philly record revival. made about $300 and blew it all haha. last one marta acuna-dancedancedance got it out diggin and cost 20 cent sealed, was going for as much as $350 at one time. prolly have to flip it. all are og, couple i upgraded to og status so if anyone needs a reish holler. oh and totally got snaked by bowser at the record show on a couple killer braizilin psych pieces because i didn't have 200 bones in my pocket at the time.

• The New Birth - It's Been a Long Time
    Al Kooper - I Stand Alone
    Exile -S/T
    Hal Blaine - Psychedelic Percussion
    Kool & The Gang - Spirit of the Boogie
    Billy Cobham - Spectrum
    Steve Kuhn and Ecstasy - Motility

$1 a piece.

• Damn J***n that is mainey. Any doubles?

The Intruders are my shit too. My joints on that one are "Devil With An Angel's Smile", "I'm Gonna Be Stronger", and of course the title cut.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Hal Blaine - Psychedelic Percussion

I alwyas wondered about that one. Is it really that nice. It quite expensive at the moment. Is it still Jazz or does Hal Blaine really play Psychedelic music? Is it an instructional LP?

• I found an odd record called "Bumbites - Bottoms Up". The cover is a bit too disturbing to rep here (it's a collage of Medical pics of injured bums and pics of animals with huge teeth). Music is really good. A mix between new wave and psych with spoken word. Odd...

Picked up the self titled El Chicano. Waited a while to find it for not to much. I like their What's Going On version.

Also found a copy of "Eric Agyeman - Highlife Safari" on Apogee which I really like. To my ear it's more melodic then most Highlife.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Picked up the self titled El Chicano. Waited a while to find it for not to much. I like their What's Going On version.

I love that version, finally copped it cheap a few months back.