How far would/do you commute for a job?

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Assume it's for average pay for the position.How far? Post up mileage and/or time.Out here I'm saying about 30 miles tops equating to maybe 45-50 mins absolute tops (rush hour) driving time, one way.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    five minute walk

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    five minute walk

Let's assume that you actually had to look for a job in the general job market.

There can't be 100+ open positions in one field at any given time that's within 5 minutes of you. I don't care if it's the fucking world trade center in your backyard (RIP). Of course, maybe I'm crazy.

• Assume it's for average pay for the position.

How far? Post up mileage and/or time.

Out here I'm saying about 30 miles tops equating to maybe 45-50 mins absolute tops (rush hour) driving time, one way.

The longest commute I ever had was 1.5 to 2 hours one way everyday. So it was total 4 hours a day commuting to and from work. I live in MD. I was commuting a total of 4 hours a day for a job where I was getting paid aver. The problem was the money was not enough for the commute which included tolls too. It took me 5 hours to get home one day. It was then that I started looking for a new job because I was getting depressed because of the commute. I lived in College Park, MD and was commuting to Herndon, VA during rush hour. People who live around here knows that is a long commute. Its literally only 30 some odd miles from here to there. It should not take 1.5 to 2 hours.

Now I commute 30 minutes by train everyday and I am soooooo much happier for it.

Your commute time does not sound that bad. In fact it sounds average. I would go for it if you couldn't find anything closer.

So it was total 4 hours a day commuting to and from work. I live in MD. I was commuting a total of 4 hours a day for a job where I was getting paid aver. The problem was the money was not enough for the commute which included tolls too. It took me 5 hours to get home one day.

Fuuuuck, that's crazy.

I don't care what anyone says, if I'm spending that much time commuting I better be getting paid something exceptional.

• You gotta be familiar with the bay to or google map it, but I would commute from Palo Alto to Berkeley and back. That involved taking a bus to the bridge over the bay, then taking the bridge bus to the bart. It was costly and time consuming. Real ridiculous for a part time job. That didn't last long.

I made it a goal to work with-in walking distance. That's about four miles. That way i can ride a bike, bus, drive, whatever, with less stress. I've had several jobs that were within blocks of my home. That was the best.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i use to drive 2 hours and 15 minutes to do work in NC on a freelance basis. would go down about 2-4 times a week.

now i walk a block and i am in action.

i use to drive 2 hours and 15 minutes to do work in NC on a freelance basis. would go down about 2-4 times a week.

now i walk a block and i am in action.

Well 2-4 times a week wouldn't be so bad. Average that out by the time you aren't at work and I would definitely be into that.

My dream would be to walk a block to work. I think that would be difficult though, even for those in high density mixed-use neighborhoods.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I live 1/2 a block from where I work. When I took the job, it was a cool "extra" to working there - now it's like 98 percent of the reason I keep the job. I'm late every day, too. It's actually easier to be late when it only takes 90 seconds to get to work.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    30 minutes by foot. For LA that is nothing short of a miracle. The only factor that I'd have to be remotely concerned about is rain. Before that, I was willing to drive up to 45 minutes when I was looking for work. The best deal was when I worked at home. A 10 second stumble to the living room and I was at work.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm a block away from my office.

I'm a block away from my office.

You guys are all bastards.

• 30 minutes each way sounds about right. peace, stein. . .

30 minutes each way sounds about right. peace, stein. . .

Coming from the man living the Soulstrut dream.

• 7 minutes each way which also allows for the occassional lunch hour booty call .. actually they are alot more frequent than occassional.

• 30 minutes each way sounds about right. peace, stein. . .

Coming from the man living the Soulstrut dream.
    ayo. .my average commute is between 6-14 hours so 30 min. would be haeven. peace, stein. . .

ayo. .my average commute is between 6-14 hours so 30 min. would be haeven. peace, stein. . .

Touche.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I'm out the door by about 6:45AM every weekday to be at work by 8AM. That involves about 30 minutes of walking, five minutes of Muni time and the rest on BART. I live in San Francisco and work in Berkeley. I love it really. I usually just sleep on BART. If I catch a Richmond train I don't even have to transfer plus the walking is great exercise.

I'm selling my car (which doesn't run) and might use that money to buy a Motorcycle.

• It's actually more common to be late when it only takes 90 seconds to get to work.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    I'm a 20 minute walk door to door, taking in 3 different parks on the way

great way to start the day, blood flowing, fresh air etc etc

Not that I own a car, but for the forseeable future I wouldn't pony up for anything more than 40 - 45 each way, traffic jams and crowded train/tram carriages ain't my thang

• I usually just sleep on BART.

watch out fool! oakland kids is on a creep...

• The best was when I lived at 24th and mission and worked at, well now i forgot the name of the stop. Right where the Mcdonalds is. I worked at Bodines sour dough. I timed the bart and it tokk under 4 minutes. My pad was a few blocks down on Shotwell, but my work was directly outside of the bart station. No time to sleep.

• 25-30 minutes by bike and I pretty much hate it, I get all sweaty on the several uphill climbs. And I usually love riding my bike. Still, arguably better than using public transportation, where the time is pretty much the same, but I constantly have to worry about being late.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I commuted 5000 miles per week for a job, via airplane. I did this for a year and a half.

• I had a girlfriend who lived in Santa Cruz but worked in Seatle. She had to drive over the hill to San Jose Airport and fly to Seatle to punch in. She worked for Alskan Airlines.

• 45 minutes to an hour by car MAX....

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    7 minutes each way which also allows for the occassional lunch hour booty call .. actually they are alot more frequent than occassional.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    30 minutes by train. Quality time for my mp3 playing or book reading (and hot-asses checking).

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    So it was total 4 hours a day commuting to and from work. I live in MD. I was commuting a total of 4 hours a day for a job where I was getting paid aver. The problem was the money was not enough for the commute which included tolls too. It took me 5 hours to get home one day.

Fuuuuck, that's crazy.

I don't care what anyone says, if I'm spending that much time commuting I better be getting paid something exceptional.

Where I live is about a 90 minute to 2 hr train ride to NYC, so I know a lot of people who do the commute, so they can make NYC money but have a house/land/etc up here. I've heard plenty of stories from single people spending 4+ hours a day commuting, I couldn't imagine how people with children can do it.

I've also noticed that while they might be making more money in NYC, eventually the novelty of the salary wears off and the stresses of commuting start to take over.

I'm fortunate to live 1/4 mile and a 1/2 mile from my last job and current job. I might not be making the money I could be making in NYC, but compared to the commuters I have upwards of 4 hours of extra time every work day to do whatever I need to do, and I don't know if I can put a dollar amount on that feeling. My advice is to find a job where you find as close of a balance between salary and commute time as possible.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I live 1/2 a block from where I work. When I took the job, it was a cool "extra" to working there - now it's like 98 percent of the reason I keep the job. I'm late every day, too. It's actually easier to be late when it only takes 90 seconds to get to work.

This is soooo true, the closer you are, the later you will be.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    A 10 second stumble to the living room and I AM at work.