How far would/do you commute for a job?

2»

Comments

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I wake up at 5:45 and leave my house by 6:25. I get to the train station at 6:40 and hop on my train at 6:50. I get to Penn Station at 8:10. I walk to my office to be here by 8:30. I leave my office at 4:30. I get home at 6:30. I make $26,000 a year. I spend $320 a month on a train ticket and $90 a month for parking at the train station. For three months during the summer, I would DJ on Thursday nights which meant I'd be up until 2:30 AM, drive home to be asleep by 3:15 to wake up at 5:45 to go to work on Friday.

I'm at this job right now and I hate it... thankfully I haven't had to DJ for the past few weeks.

I have a double major in English and Advertising from P**n St**e University and half of a Master's in English Literature from S*u****n *lli*o** University at C*r***d*l*. And I still can't find another god damn fucking job. I suck.

If this sounds like a pity party, it is.

Somebody hook me up with a new job. I'm smart and the fact that I commute 4 hours a day for a shitty job suggests I have good work ethic, no? Hook me up.

-e

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I live 1/2 a block from where I work. When I took the job, it was a cool "extra" to working there - now it's like 98 percent of the reason I keep the job. I'm late every day, too. It's actually easier to be late when it only takes 90 seconds to get to work.

Always looking out for more reasons to make it easier to be late. I work about 10-15 minutes away from my work by car, and am often late. It's so laid back though that's it's not a big deal -- as long as you leave a little late too.

One thing that's also important to keep in mind is your direction of travel. If I had to commute to or from work near sunrise/sunset, I would never want to live too far west of my job, because I would always be driving into the sun on my way to and from work, and I hate that shit; can't see anything.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    My commute right now is a 15-minute bus ride.

Before that it was a 5-minute walk.

My longest ever was a 5-minute walk + 25-minute train ride.

If I'm gonna be more than 30-minutes away from work, that 30+ is gonna be spent on a bus or train where I can rest or get some reading done. There's no way I can see myself buying a car just to sit around in traffic all tense and stressed.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    My current commute is 45 seconds unless I run into people to give my morning regards to, which pretty much happens every day. Longest commute ever was 20 min. by car, but that only lasted 2 months. I prefer the 10-15 min. bike ride comute, gets the blood flowing/wakes you up. That was the commute for the last 10 yrs. Fuck a long commute.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Commute these days is about an hour each way which is a perfect length of time to listen to mp3s and catch up on recent purchases.

Longest commute was when the trains were fucked a couple of years ago - used to leave at 5.45 in the morning and get home at 8.45pm for a 9-5 job. Needless to say this was laughed off in double quick time.

• I'd go to were ever the party was at. Just make sure the pay is correct!!!!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    45 min. subway ride. 35 on a good day.

Back in the day, I had a job out in Queens @ the last stop on the E/F.
    I had to wake up at 4:45 to be there by 7:00 am, coming from the Bronx.
    Shit was hell, plus it was in the summer when cats would go to bed at 4 am.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I live about 15 minutes from my job and I'm in Los Angeles

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I was commuting from San Francisco to San Jose, which is about an hour each way, but I couldn't take it anymore so I moved closer. Now it's about 15 minutes. It wasn't the drive that bothered me because I carpooled with a cutie from the office and I have plenty of good music to listen to, it was the time lost each day. Turning an 8-10 hour work day into a 10-12 hour work sucked. Now I'm home by 5:00 everyday and even though I miss living in the city, I'm up there pretty much every weekend anyways so it ain't no thing.

DJ Ferrari

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    BK to NYC, I'm about 50-55 minutes by train (one transfer), but I get a seat, so it's cool. At my old place, I was about 40-45 minutes, but I always had to stand, so it felt longer. Still, since the move, I haven't been on time like I used to, because I want to believe that the commute didn't get any longer, even though it did.

I had a job in the building next door to mine for a couple years... that was great on some levels, but I started to feel like I never left the block, like I was stranded on an island called Downtown St. Paul.