Soul Gospel

Comments

• Hell hath no fury like a Detroit gospel 45.

did that city have soul music?

---- waiting to be sonned.

Surriously though, I hear that Metro-Tones Inc. album is pretty fresh. Am I mistaken or is "Get Together" an instrumental track? Does that count as gospel?

get together is that tune and the album has the instrumental of that track as well. Is it gospel? well, that is opening a can o' worms. I'd say it is a funk album myself, but the members started with C.L. Franklin and Dorothy Norwood. The liner notes describe it as "message songs", basically they rap about God and what happens if you stray from the path(becoming a junkie, etc.). I'd say it qualifies for the purposes of this thread but that most serious gospel collectors would reject it. Most young dudes after funky gospel would worship it.

that being said, 'On Top of God's Mountain' by Louise Richardson(pictured above) would take root in your mindgarden like and is pure no arguements raw gospel.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    your xian CD is too heavy for me to listen to

I'm lagging on making some CD's for y'all

ARRGH

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    (Soul Gospel is) a secular comp with gospel in the title... it's for lazy bar owners to play in their lounges before the dj comes in...

you've just described most of the comps on the soul jazz label

is it just me, or is that label aimed at people who think stax records is a clearing house for samples? really, soul jazz anthologies always have the most wretched p.o.v. about black music; i thought that chess funk comp looked pretty flaky as well.

This is probably the worst comp SJ has put out, for my 2?? (not trying to be a jerk to the thread's originator). I took a gander at the tracklisting before it dropped, and I think I literally shook my head in silence.

REALLY, FOLLS - WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT THE WINDY CITY FOUR?

JP - I've always thought the SJ NOLA comps were servicable compilations. The liner notes weren't all inclusive, yeah, but they were liner notes.

JINX - I NEED TO HEAR YOUR MIX. Please. I've got a facemelter or two in return. That's all I have to give. That and my honesty.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I know the guy that put this together....and a Volume 2 is in the pipeline.

Safe to say that the next one is waaayy deeper. I know cos I've contributed a couple of tracks.

And Jinx has heard a couple of them. What say you on those facemelters, J? Whether they can get clearance for them though is a different matter.

This comp was to test the water, and I think it does that. And I know he wants to keep the project soulful rather than blow up the funk. He has access to the Shackleford Singers, Wayne Spence, Robert Brown, Billy Watkins etc etc, but they're not going to make the cut. Particularly the Shackleford Singers which sounds just awful against the soul of say the Florida Spiritualaires.

• LAY SOME TREATS ON 'EM![/b]

Here's the Jinx f/ Chuck Huss Gospel mix. Prepare for some holy facemelt.

• Thanks! I NEED this!

• here are a couple tracks that are just the tip of the iceburg as far as Memphis gospel...this isnt the rawest or funkiest Memphis ish thats out there, but they are heat...the reason I am posting these is two-fold, I am sure shingaling would want to be the one who posts the real heat(even though he doesnt have the means right now), and these are the only tracks I had saved on my computer

so here they are:
    http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3HG2BTQJ2W4SK208E6WR9NQMG3
    http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=27SXK7XEQHEN21SA1DM8U3YU30

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    LAY SOME TREATS ON 'EM![/b]

WOW. THIS MIX IS

(bummer about the CD skipping in the middle)

That's some gospel fire right there..

Tracklisting?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Hell hath no fury like a Detroit gospel 45.

did that city have soul music?

---- waiting to be sonned.

Surriously though, I hear that Metro-Tones Inc. album is pretty fresh. Am I mistaken or is "Get Together" an instrumental track? Does that count as gospel?

get together is that tune and the album has the instrumental of that track as well. Is it gospel? well, that is opening a can o' worms. I'd say it is a funk album myself, but the members started with C.L. Franklin and Dorothy Norwood. The liner notes describe it as "message songs", basically they rap about God and what happens if you stray from the path(becoming a junkie, etc.). I'd say it qualifies for the purposes of this thread but that most serious gospel collectors would reject it. Most young dudes after funky gospel would worship it.

that being said, 'On Top of God's Mountain' by Louise Richardson(pictured above) would take root in your mindgarden like and is pure no arguements raw gospel.

"Hey guys, how can we get a label to put out this funk album we got?"
    "Let's call our music "message songs" and give it to Savoy."
    "Raight on!"

So awesome. I'd love to hear the rest of the album.

btw, that Louise Richardson definitely looks like some dawn of time, mind garden genesis type steez. This could turn into an incredible thread.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    LAY SOME TREATS ON 'EM![/b]

WOW. THIS MIX IS
    (bummer about the CD skipping in the middle)

That's some gospel fire right there..

Tracklisting?

Co-sign, SWEET JESUS! I already know several old heads in the family who will be getting this as a pre-Christmas present this year.

This has been the heaviest *ll sh*t week on SoulStrut EVAR!!!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    PUBLIC CHALLENGE

I'm callin out Jinx, PeacefulRo, Drewn, 99Problems, and me

to put together a total of 20 tracks (all on MP3) and show other soulstrutters some of the deepest soulful/funky/ jazzy/ facemelting gospel out there

anybody man enough to accept?

yes. I think me, soulhawk, meaty, bhales, (and....sc*tt h*rlow? paycheck? castillo?) could give y'all a run for your money. Then again, I'm not sure my squad would be motivated enough to go through with it.

we call shackleford singers.

I'm in! I can only think of about 5 tracks that I have though that would be deemed worthy though.

PUBLIC CHALLENGE

I'm callin out Jinx, PeacefulRo, Drewn, 99Problems, and me

to put together a total of 20 tracks (all on MP3) and show other soulstrutters some of the deepest soulful/funky/ jazzy/ facemelting gospel out there

anybody man enough to accept?

yes. I think me, soulhawk, meaty, bhales, (and....sc*tt h*rlow? paycheck? castillo?) could give y'all a run for your money. Then again, I'm not sure my squad would be motivated enough to go through with it.

we call shackleford singers.

I'm in! I can only think of about 5 tracks that I have though that would be deemed worthy though.

boo-ya!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    All the CDs are recorded with the skip, it was on the master I guess...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    blame KGOs recording equipment...

i went to look up the line-up because its been a long time since i listened to that cd so i took a picture instead of the records (most of them)

• Shit, I don't remember this skipping in the old car...memory is going on me.

• i got that gloster williams and master control if anyone needs it.

shit is dope!!!! "no cross no crown" and one more killer gospel slice.

anyone have that daryl douglas 12"?? my guy is re-ing it as we speak, can't wait. the og is $300 + and never shows up. so i'll be hype to have the re.

my

gospel tune looks like it is the first on that souljazz mix.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    my

gospel tune looks like it is the first on that souljazz mix.

The Clarence Smith on Gospel Truth??

That's been doing the rounds when I first heard DJ Snowboy play that out in '93. Great record.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i got that gloster williams and master control if anyone needs it.

shit is dope!!!!

and who gave you your first fix? now your slinging from both holsters.

allow me to say that a member of this board is friends with Gloster who is from the Detroit area and we've had some nice conversations about his music. I'm a big fan of his records and not just the disco-soul sound on the Master Control. Really beautiful gospel on his other works.

I will also say (apologies for the self promotion) that I have for sale two of the records featured on jinx's mix as pictured above.

The McCRary's LP has been moved to ebay for your viewing pleasure and I have been offering that Cassiette George on my set sale list which is still fair game.

See you in church.

• just bought a collection with the Stovall Sisters LP in it...first track is

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    that jinx mix is

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

G***v** w*t* j**us is my shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you have multiple Squirrel jawns in that picture Jinx ..**s*o *al*e*u*** is also my Shit...

that is all

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i wont even front... those are my records but matt (chuckhuss) did the work. an excellent job in my opinion...

and ed, all those artists on that hallelujah record have LPs that are pretty good.

the thing though is im slowly moving towards xian music with small bands as opposed to gospel music with small bands. i still favor the gospel but ive been pickin up some really good (in my musical opinion) xian records lately.

• both are good. but I even like the xian records that are stupid and fuzzless.

what happened to guzzo on this thread? i thought he was ready to go guns blazing?

i'm already working on "jesus saves" volume 2 and 3. volume 1 is available now.

what happened to guzzo on this thread? i thought he was ready to go guns blazing?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm here, waiting for someone to step up and offer to host this likkle musical flex-off

do we got 9 other people ready to throw down?

Like I said before LETS DO THIS SHIT!

• I've got a couple of nice things to share as well. About a year ago I stumbled across a very nice gospel 45 that has opened up a gospel pursuit for me ever since. I'll try and figure out this Yousendit thing??? And thinking about it, The Prophet & His Disciples "You Fool" 45 ??? that'd could be gospel couldn't it? More funk gospel than soul gospel??? (tho it's all soul isn't it?)

I've got a couple of nice things to share as well. About a year ago I stumbled across a very nice gospel 45 that has opened up a gospel pursuit for me ever since. I'll try and figure out this Yousendit thing??? And thinking about it, The Prophet & His Disciples "You Fool" 45 ??? that'd could be gospel couldn't it? More funk gospel than soul gospel??? (tho it's all soul isn't it?)

haha. I'm not sure I'd include Prophet & His Disciples as gospel even though it has astrong positive message. Great 45, though.

I can host the songs for this little comp.

• what do yall headz know about pentecostal ambassadors? recorded for savoy, i picked up one today as a matter of fact called "lord, you're the one" and its some quite funky shit from about '77 it looks like. i'm working on an ibook here and i have this griffin imic thing but haven't ever gotten it to sound real good (like a hum) else i'd rip it and post in the album thread. i think i saw a different lp by these blokes go for some nice caching on the bay a month or two back.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

ok so we got a host, now who are our players?

Me, Peaceful Ro, Jinx, Sonathan, ???...

ok so we got a host, now who are our players?

Me, Peaceful Ro, Jinx, Sonathan, ???...

...meaty, me, soulhawk (hopefully), bhales, ???...