Soul Gospel

Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
edited October 2005 in Record Collecting
I listened to this cd last night, and it was damn good, but didn't recognize most of the tracks.1. Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child 2. In Between Tears - Irma Thomas 3. I Can't Go Without You - Dorothy Morrison 4. Let's Get Together 5. New York Lighting - The Voices of East Harlem 6. Grandma's Hands 7. Every Day Will Be Like a Holiday - The Sweet Inspirations 8. Love Lifted Me - Jessy Dixon 9. Lee Cross - Aretha Franklin 10. Pastures of Plenty - Odetta 11. Eleanor Rigby - Kim Weston 12. I Dont Know Where We're Headed - The Sons Of Truth 13. Too Many More - Jo Armstead 14. Mama - Queen Esther Marrow 15. Tripping on Your Love - Staple Sisters 16. Lord Is It 17. I Shall Be Released - Marion Williams 18. Compared to What - Della ReeseDiscuss amongst yourselves

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Keep digging...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Good stuff, I'm sure, but the concept is kinda loose and half-assed. What is so "spiritual" about "Every Day Will Be Like A Holiday?" That song is about waiting for your lover to come home - no more, no less! Aretha's "Lee Cross" is about a damn gigolo!

With a title like that, I figured it would be like the Violinaires or the Gospel Keynotes or any other Nixon-era gospel performer who followed the Staples' lead and hipped up their sound with soul overtones. Nah, instead they lost all frame of reference and just grabbed anything that sounded mildly churchy. I mean, Della Reese?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    PUBLIC CHALLENGE

I'm callin out Jinx, PeacefulRo, Drewn, 99Problems, and me

to put together a total of 20 tracks (all on MP3) and show other soulstrutters some of the deepest soulful/funky/ jazzy/ facemelting gospel out there

anybody man enough to accept?

• PUBLIC CHALLENGE

to put together a total of 20 tracks (all on MP3) and show other soulstrutters some of the deepest soulful/funky/ jazzy/ facemelting gospel out there

uh...

you heard Jinx's gospel mix right?

I got some gospel heat myself

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    PUBLIC CHALLENGE[/b]

uh...

you heard Jinx's gospel mix right?

I got some gospel heat myself

yo if you want to include yourself in this than do that shit!

oh and as far as Jinx gospel mix...file under "yo sorry Adam I'll get you that soon, I promise"

it'd be better if we can get someone to host this so someone can burn some good music and we dont got to yousendit up for the folks.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    PUBLIC CHALLENGE

Someone say funky? Isn't that a thread hijack?

I don't have it on mp3, but Give Him A Chance by Robert Patterson Singers is nice and soulful. Probably cheap as well.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Good stuff, I'm sure, but the concept is kinda loose and half-assed. What is so "spiritual" about "Every Day Will Be Like A Holiday?" That song is about waiting for your lover to come home - no more, no less! Aretha's "Lee Cross" is about a damn gigolo!

With a title like that, I figured it would be like the Violinaires or the Gospel Keynotes or any other Nixon-era gospel performer who followed the Staples' lead and hipped up their sound with soul overtones. Nah, instead they lost all frame of reference and just grabbed anything that sounded mildly churchy. I mean, Della Reese?

cosign

ill also add that the dorothy morrison track is not religous at all. great dancer but just because she sang gospel doesnt make this gospel.

they are a nice selection of tracks though.

gospel it aint.

• that comp is YAWN, if you are looking for some bonafide soulful gospel music, it doesnt cut it.

Shingaling's Memphis gospel comp, however, is , raw, funky, tough...it is the real deal. I hope he gets that shit out soon.

i know this is wack... but if someone has a way to record that gospel cd that i did (that chuckhuss mixed) and post it somewhere they are welcome to do that.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Every once in a while even Soul Jazz drops the ball... I was worried for a minute that spots would be blown!

• i know this is wack... but if someone has a way to record that gospel cd that i did (that chuckhuss mixed) and post it somewhere they are welcome to do that.

SLACKER!!!

I'll try to do this when I get home.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    it's wack that they needed to throw the word "gospel" in there, but they're just using it for labeling purposes... as far as i know, none of these songs are gospel songs or religious in any way, so it's not like they're trying to slip in one or two non-gospel songs to fill out the comp or somethin... just soul/lounge songs with a little "church" in 'em...

i'll send you an mp3 later this week guzzo, i've got a couple soul/gospel 45's that are outta this world...

i'll send you an mp3 later this week jinx, i've got a couple soul/gospel 45's that are outta this world...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i know this is wack... but if someone has a way to record that gospel cd that i did (that chuckhuss mixed) and post it somewhere they are welcome to do that.

SLACKER!!!

I'll try to do this when I get home.

PLEASE!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm surprised what's missing off of here, especially for a Soul Jazz comp given that they're usually more thorough. I mean, "Lee Cross"? Really?

It really cannot be that hard to come up with 20 gospel songs - ABOUT GOD/JESUS/FAITH and just by gospel artists - that are soulful. Shit, off the top of my head, I can come up with five heaters not on here.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I'm surprised what's missing off of here, especially for a Soul Jazz comp given that they're usually more thorough. I mean, "Lee Cross"? Really?

It really cannot be that hard to come up with 20 gospel songs - ABOUT GOD/JESUS/FAITH and just by gospel artists - that are soulful. Shit, off the top of my head, I can come up with five heaters not on here.

dude, NONE of them are about god/jesus... it's a secular comp with gospel in the title... it's for lazy bar owners to play in their lounges before the dj comes in...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    (Soul Gospel is) a secular comp with gospel in the title... it's for lazy bar owners to play in their lounges before the dj comes in...

you've just described most of the comps on the soul jazz label

is it just me, or is that label aimed at people who think stax records is a clearing house for samples? really, soul jazz anthologies always have the most wretched p.o.v. about black music; i thought that chess funk comp looked pretty flaky as well.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    PUBLIC CHALLENGE

yes. I think me, soulhawk, meaty, bhales, (and....sc*tt h*rlow? paycheck? castillo?) could give y'all a run for your money. Then again, I'm not sure my squad would be motivated enough to go through with it.

we call shackleford singers.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    PUBLIC CHALLENGE

yes. I think me, soulhawk, meaty, bhales, (and....sc*tt h*rlow? paycheck? castillo?) could give y'all a run for your money. Then again, I'm not sure my squad would be motivated enough to go through with it.

I got a heater to contribute. Tomorrow, batches, tomorrow.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    PUBLIC CHALLENGE

you can join me in spirit until i:

a) recover my records (will be in my possession again by the weekend)
    b) learn how to make MP3s (this could be years from now)
    c) get motivated (too much on the plate to really debate)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    dude heres the deal, I say we make this a real competition with soulstrutters ending up being the judges.

We'll go something like 5 man squads (So each guy can throw down 4 tracks more or less). We'll get someone to host it and let soulstrutters sit back relax and enjoy some gospel.

I just don't like to see the good name of soul gospel sullied with some secular funk. God would be turning over in his grave if he saw this comp.

WHOS DOWN?

• WHOS DOWN?

4 of the 13 I nabbed on Saturday...

The Metro-tones own this thread

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

show other soulstrutters some of the deepest soulful/funky/ jazzy/ facemelting gospel out there

• I got some fucking great Connecticut gospel. Stay tuned

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm just spectating really but here's one of my all-time favorite gospel soul songs:

Charles May and Annette May Thomas: Keep My Baby, Warm (Gospel Truth)

More faith is what it takes. You got to have it.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I have some cool shit but like aleit I am tricknology loser. THis might get me motivated to learn how to record to digital. Is this nida thing easy? If some teams get formed I'd be down to throw in. Plus, I could post the Universal LIfe Church raer.

Rev. Wu

• Haha oh man I didn't even see this coming when I started this thread. It's true this is hardly a gospel comp at all. But, I was more interested in the tracks. Does anyone know the names of the artists whose names are missing?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

WHOS DOWN?

4 of the 13 I nabbed on Saturday...

The Metro-tones own this thread

gulp....

if coolhands hosts and records- i'm in.

• gotta show 'em that TX is god's country my newly apartment having friend.

taking nothing away from the atheists in NYC/CA...

I'm scurred of them memphians 'tho

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    gotta show 'em that TX is god's country my newly apartment having friend.

taking nothing away from the atheists in NYC/CA...

I'm scurred of them memphians 'tho

Hell hath no fury like a Detroit gospel 45.

Surriously though, I hear that Metro-Tones Inc. album is pretty fresh. Am I mistaken or is "Get Together" an instrumental track? Does that count as gospel?