What constitutes a "find" (finds threads related)

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Just curious about all of these. Lets take an album everyone knows and that gets cited on here a lot: Demon Fuzz. Now obviously spotting a copy of this for $.50 at a thrift/rummage/flea would be a legit "find". Also I would definatly assume fetching it for 12 bucks in the back of Beatle man's recordshop would be a find as well. But do you still include it in the "finds" thread if say, you go to your local rare-groove recordshop and drop a 50 for it? And also, do online purchases like ebay count? Or how about trades? or is "find" just a general term for "purchases" of any kind? I'm new, I need some clarity.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    or is "find" just a general term for "purchases" of any kind?

yeah, pretty much. Thoug, I personally usually only post "finds" of the "hey I got this for a buck" kind.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    awesome thread!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I consider a "find" as a dope or raer record you stumbled across inadvertently. I.E. not seeking it out or at least not seeking it out at the place you happen to find it at.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    awesome thread!

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I consider a "find" as a dope or raer record you stumbled across inadvertently. I.E. not seeking it out or at least not seeking it out at the place you happen to find it at.

or at least had to do a little leg work to obtain.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    seems fairly obvious to me that for most people posting in them, the "finds" threads are just whatever records you bought that day/week/weekend. I know there are people who get all bent out of shape and say "I don't wanna hear about your Aerosmith "Rocks" find," only the raers, but I chalk that up to "don't like it? don't read it." policy.

edit: I say this because there are "little dudes" who may learn the value of a "common" record "everyone" knows about...one of the best things I've learned from SS is that alot of records I was blowing off are actually worth picking up...the finds threads are a big help in this area, IMO...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

could be on ebay as well...made some finds there...

seems fairly obvious to me that for most people posting in them, the "finds" threads are just whatever records you bought that day/week/weekend. I know there are people who get all bent out of shape and say "I don't wanna hear about your Aerosmith "Rocks" find," only the raers, but I chalk that up to "don't like it? don't read it." policy.

edit: I say this because there are "little dudes" who may learn the value of a "common" record "everyone" knows about...one of the best things I've learned from SS is that alot of records I was blowing off are actually worth picking up...the finds threads are a big help in this area, IMO...

good point

• "find" when used in the online record collecting context is a bullshit word. It is intended to have no relation to the truth whatsoever. It simply replaces an actual even that happened with a blurry gloss of romanticism. This is detrimental. Words must connote either truth or falsity or else they lose all meaning.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    blurry gloss of romanticism

Isn't part of the point of this forum to romanticize the otherwise mundane act of going shopping?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    This would be a find for me:

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Just curious about all of these. Lets take an album everyone knows and that gets cited on here a lot: Demon Fuzz. Now obviously spotting a copy of this for $.50 at a thrift/rummage/flea would be a legit "find". Also I would definatly assume fetching it for 12 bucks in the back of Beatle man's recordshop would be a find as well. But do you still include it in the "finds" thread if say, you go to your local rare-groove recordshop and drop a 50 for it? And also, do online purchases like ebay count? Or how about trades? or is "find" just a general term for "purchases" of any kind? I'm new, I need some clarity.

a find to me is what i got diggin, and didn't spend a lot of cheddar on. my definition can vary from other dudes on here, and i'm ok with that.

• it doesn't have to do with money it has to do with whether anyone gives a fuck to read it. This too often is everyone's little blog where it's like "I stopped at the thrift store and I bought a human league record" which is cool but if your writing style and online persona and overall wit do not make this interesting to read then I don't care. I do care if you got a stupid rare record at a shop even if you had to pay bigger for it. I really don't care what you bought on ebay for $50 more than the going rate though. Reynaldo's finds aren't very interesting to me, because I knew the record was on ebay and I knew that he was going to throw a ton of money at it. It would be much more interesting if he was like "look I bought Harlem River Drive at the Groove Merchant." rather than "Look I paid $160 for Harlem River Drive on ebay" File under the other popsike victims.

Motherfuckers are all like, "I got this Mandrill record that I only paid $5 for" BIG FUCKING DEAL! I mean Mandrill are great but who cares that you found it? That's like saying "I ate a HAMBURGER today!!" If you're really feeling the record than do an appreciation post. The finds thread is eye candy for some shit where I can go DIE and Macktrick can go "Damn thun lemme holler at that" and shit. Or like, I don't know that what is it? Too much clutter.

This has nothing to do with price but it does have to do with INTERESTING SHIT. There are really tough to find $1 records out there. Post some unique shit, some shit I'm not just going to scroll through.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

• There are really tough to find $1 records out there.

I just found this!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    it doesn't have to do with money it has to do with whether anyone gives a fuck to read it. This too often is everyone's little blog where it's like "I stopped at the thrift store and I bought a human league record" which is cool but if your writing style and online persona and overall wit do not make this interesting to read then I don't care. I do care if you got a stupid rare record at a shop even if you had to pay bigger for it. I really don't care what you bought on ebay for $50 more than the going rate though. Reynaldo's finds aren't very interesting to me, because I knew the record was on ebay and I knew that he was going to throw a ton of money at it. It would be much more interesting if he was like "look I bought Harlem River Drive at the Groove Merchant." rather than "Look I paid $160 for Harlem River Drive on ebay" File under the other popsike victims.

Motherfuckers are all like, "I got this Mandrill record that I only paid $5 for" BIG FUCKING DEAL! I mean Mandrill are great but who cares that you found it? That's like saying "I ate a HAMBURGER today!!" If you're really feeling the record than do an appreciation post. The finds thread is eye candy for some shit where I can go DIE and Macktrick can go "Damn thun lemme holler at that" and shit. Or like, I don't know that what is it? Too much clutter.

This has nothing to do with price but it does have to do with INTERESTING SHIT. There are really tough to find $1 records out there. Post some unique shit, some shit I'm not just going to scroll through.

So you're knocking Crate Diggin & Hip Hop Culture AND Wood Grain Grippin Ebay Culture? I guess driving related posts are your new shit?

For real though, I would guess that the % of diggers on this board is less than 50. What are the others gonna post up if not their credit card purchases?

Flossing $400 records you bought for $398 is so lame, yet where else am I gonna see it? SS rules!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    And also, do online purchases like ebay count?
    Yes. Those are the most entertaining by far.

• This would be a find for me:

I could "use" that. holla.

• This would be a find for me:

I'd eat canned corn out of that ass on the far left.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

I'd eat canned corn out of that ass on the far left.

Is that a euphamism? Why not just locate the g-spot?

Oh, yeah, maybe Phill Most has some chat up tips coz you know THEY FUCKIN LOVE IT.

Come to think of it, it probably was a mistake to use Demon Fuzz as the first example, because people think of rare/rarer records differently. You could argue an OG Demon Fuzz is always a find. So, how about this, I pulled my copy of Curtis Mayfield's Roots outta my local Beatleman shop's basement. It was mixed in with a bunch of other random shit and ran me about $4. Thats a "find". If I had ran across it in the soul section of my local soul/groove shop for $10 is that a true "find"?

• It doesnt matter. "Find" is a jargon expression that does not signify any tangible situation. Thus it cannot be defined. Think of it as an axiom in the collectro world.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

THERE IT IS. I WANT SOMEONE TO MAKE ONE OF THOSE ICONS, AND IT SAYS ALLLLLLLBA! Just like but ALLLLLLBA! It's all I ask. Someone hook that up.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    INTERESTING SHIT. Post some unique shit, some shit I'm not just going to scroll through.

I understand what you're saying, but that's very relative. One man's unique is another man's doodoo. There are plenty of finds posted that folls (including 'big dudes') go all apeshit for, which I know are wack. They were wack in '94, and they're still wack. Slap on some covers with long-haired countryfolk dudes or some peruvians in ponchos, and people are all , and I'm thinking to myself: 'I had this record once, it's garbage and not even worth using as a frisbee'. Of course this is just my opinion, so it's all good.

There are a lot of different types of record collectors here, dollarbin diggers, ebay 'diggers', record store owners and so on. Everyone hasn't seen the same records or have the same taste. I usually scroll quickly past 45s, because I don't check that much for 45s. Some people might not find Soufriere's reggae finds interesting. Some people could care less about honking horns on a Maulawi rackord, 'cause they've got a thing for scruffy singer-songwriters. Different strokes. Location plays a part as well. Records that are scarce in the US might be common-ass in Moldavia.

I'm going more with SoulOnIce's doowutchalike steelo. And I like when people write little anecdotes, even if they're not Lord Byron. Is it that big a hassle to use the scrollbar?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    For real though, I would guess that the % of diggers on this board is less than 50. What are the others gonna post up if not their credit card purchases?

Know that there are plenty of us on here who dig constantly but rarely post 'finds' lists... your figure may still be correct though

I only started looking at the finds posts again recently... if I had a digicam I'd probably throw some pics up once in awhile...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

A woman with 1980s hair and no ass to speak of? How is this "a find" exactly?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

A woman with 1980s hair and no ass to speak of? How is this "a find" exactly?