bookstrut

andyhoopsandyhoops 154 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
so ive had my nose dug deep in alot of books lately and i dont have any left to read. recommend me some dope books. anything crime and gritty are usually what gets my attention but im down for anything so help me out.the last book i read was the fuck-up by arthur nersesian. a friend loaned it to me and i read it in about three days so im fiending now!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Read The Year of Magical Thinking this weekend. Brutal

• My girlfriend picked me up from work on Friday with a copy of this:

I had been wanting it for a while. Its dope so far...
    My girlfrind is the shit.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I recommend anything by Alberto Moravia. Dude is ridiculous. Check out Boredom, or Contempt. Both are insanely good.
    If you havent read Post Office by C. Bukowski, you should. It'll only last one sitting, but its great.

If your looking for crime type shit, you should read Papillion. I havent read it since i was maybe13 or 14, but i loved it at the time.

Down These Mean Streets is a decent book about the authors life as a puerto rican growing up in harlem, and his descent into a life of crime. Its by Piri Thomas.

Im just starting The Diary of Anais Nin.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

I loved the sections onthe youth gangs in New York. I gotta see those documentaries it mentions.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I just got two books in Kensington market yesterday - Film 68/69 and Film 69/70 -Anthologies by the National Society of Film Critics. There are reviews in there for Weekend, Putney Swope, Hour of the Wolf, Easy Rider, Rosemary's Baby, 2001: Space Odyssey, Midbight Cowboy, If...., and so many more. Also has how people voted for the Society's Awards. It's an amazing look back to not just reviews and criticisms, but folks reacting to pretty groundbreaking films.

• One of the best reads all year for me.
    About a kid growing up in Afghanistan before it all goes up the spout. By a USA living/Afghani born author.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this book is almost 10,000,000 pages, but really interesting. history of oil/petrol domination and the power players that have grown to rule the world.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    im currently reading this

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• I'm back in Oprah's book club and am rereading Anna Karenin. Problem is, the girlf just read and she destroys every book she reads, so I'm stuck on page 600 till I can buy another copy. Best book you will ever read in your life. Its fast reading. If you've never read tolstoy, forget everything you think you know about him and read this book damnit.

me too. Fantastic book.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    how soccer explains the world by franklin foer

just finished it and if you're a footy fan, you'll dig it. hell even if you're remotely interested in it you will.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    This is my read of the moment:

What a page-turner! Best $90 I ever spent.

This is my read of the moment:

What a page-turner! Best $90 I ever spent.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Good lord, man! What is that? Whatever it is, I'm offended. Contracts make me think of nothing but:

hahaha! now i know yer lying! ...i think that was a hairball, or some serious acid reflux.

• Read The Year of Magical Thinking this weekend. Brutal

Big cosign. It's brutal and wonderful.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    recommend me some dope books. anything crime and gritty are usually what gets my attention

I've noticed nobody has actually responded to this part of your post, so let me drop a couple. I don't know if you like older stuff, but I am always reading some hardboiled crime novel from the past - here's a couple that are in print and worth getting:

Shoot the Piano Player - by David Goodis

Most David Goodis novels are excellent, and the best ones are in print or easy to find reprints of. This one, "Night Squad" "Night Fall" and "Dark Passage" are all reprinted by Black Lizard, and all are excellent.

Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye - Horace McCoy

One of my favorite pulp authors, and my favorite of his books. All 4 of his novels have been reprinted in this "Midnight Classics" series, and all are worth reading. "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" is the most well-known, but for crime and pulpy madness, this is the one to get.

crime...?
    anything by this guy.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    co-

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    crime...?
    anything by this guy.

jim thompson too...

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

......anything by this guy

flunk

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

I'm supposed to review this for a magazine.

• I'm supposed to review this for a magazine.

Ha, I just read that. There was some interesting shit. Definitely that raw, uncut reality mixed with some baking-powder storytelling (as he admits). I'm sure it's very popular with the young adult demo. With the wonderful recipe he gives, we'll have a new set of professional crack cookers in our midst very soon. To me everything he does is marketing, which makes me disregard a lot. I respect him a lot, though; he's very savvy.

• although i have very little time to read these days now that im back in school--post graduate steez, i pick this up with some frequency. it discusses how language, particularly African American Vernacular English(AAVE), or ebonics as its commonly known. Interesting read altogether. The author discusses the importance blacks lend to a vernacular that differs greatly from "proper" english and why any attempt to abandon AAVE is seen as trying to act white. They way we speak and the words we choose to use reveal a great part of our background, class identity, etc. Anyone interested in language and the ever-changing english lexicon should cop...