How Big will the Bun B album Be?

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I think hes got a good amount of hype built up, and he's gotta pull some favors off of all those features. Rap-a-lot is distributed by warner/asylum now and I think hes gonna get adequate promotion for once. In any case, im pretty sure it will be rediculously good. Heres one song that I found on the net. Bun B featuring Pimp C, Young Jeezy, and Jay -Z!!! Sorry its such a crappy kay-slay version, but even still its pretty

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think hes got a good amount of hype built up, and he's gotta pull some favors off of all those features. Rap-a-lot is distributed by warner/asylum now and I think hes gonna get adequate promotion for once.

In any case, im pretty sure it will be rediculously good. Heres one song that I found on the net.

Bun B featuring Pimp C, Young Jeezy, and Jay -Z!!!

Sorry its such a crappy kay-slay version, but even still its pretty

Is this actually coming out tomorrow?

• I'm not convinced that this record will be very big at all.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I didnt know it was coming out.

I'm not convinced that this record will be very big at all.

I think you're right.

Hipster hype/blogosphere chattering does not = sales

I have yet to hear "Draped Up" on the radio up here or down in ATL when I was there last month.

Plus Rap-A-Lot seems to find ways to screw up everything.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Sorry its such a crappy kay-slay version, but even still its pretty

I'm gonna have to disagree on that melt-face tip. Shit is pretty

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

this album is amazing though

• From today's NY Times:

"Trill"

(Rap-A-Lot/Asylum)

Before Jay-Z or OutKast, before Tupac Shakur or the Notorious B.I.G., a Texas duo named UGK released an album called "Too Hard to Swallow." Bun B and Pimp C, the two members of UGK, came from Port Arthur, in the southeast corner of Texas, a city that hardly seemed like a hip-hop hotbed. (It had, however, already produced one rock star: Janis Joplin.)

But that was 1992. In the years since, UGK became a vital part of Houston's hip-hop scene and eventually one of the most revered hip-hop acts in the South, though never one of the most successful, even though the duo rhymed alongside Jay-Z on his hit single "Big Pimpin'." Now that Houston hip-hop is enjoying its year in the limelight, the members of UGK finally have a chance to cash in.

Well, one of them. Pimp C has been in jail since 2002, convicted of aggravated assault. But his loyal partner has kept busy with guest verses and mixtapes; he has also turned "Free Pimp C!" into a hip-hop catchphrase. And now, after years of anticipation, he is making his solo debut with "Trill," a solid and sometimes great album.

Like lots of Southern rappers, Bun B has a way with vowels: when he says, "man," you can hear all five of them (and sometimes y). He has a way with meter, too. He likes to deliver a steady barrage of words while shifting the stress patterns, so that the syllables come out in unpredictable clumps of twos and threes. Armed with this tough but agile style, he delivers handsomely constructed rhymes about sex and drugs and violence, sounding by turns gleeful, mournful and ominously indifferent: "When that front door crash/ And you see dem soldiers/ When the gun go blast/ Don't say that Bun ain't told ya."

For this CD, Bun B has turned his towering hip-hop reputation into an impressive guest list that includes Jay-Z, Ludacris, T.I., Mannie Fresh, Young Jeezy, Juvenile and Jazze Pha, alongside half the city of Houston. The album's rather straightforward first single, "Draped Up," hasn't yet set radio afire, but a handful of the tracks here seem like potential hits, including a rowdy strip-club anthem called "Git It," featuring the Ying Yang Twins and produced by Collipark. As Bun B would probably be the first to admit, there are times when Pimp C's slick rhymes and slicker beats are sorely missed; this album doesn't rival UGK's sublime 1996 album, "Ridin' Dirty." And the final track, a collaboration with the celebrity punk drummer Travis Barker, is anticlimactic, to say the least. But the remix of "Draped Up" is an impressive achievement; it's a whirlwind tour through Houston's current scene, including just about all of the leading rappers.

There's something sweet about hearing an eager Texas kid with rhymes about "a pocket full of stones" (the kind you sell to skinny, twitchy customers) grow into a beloved - even lovable - veteran. KELEFA SANNEH

And the final track, a collaboration with the celebrity punk drummer Travis Barker, is anticlimactic, to say the least.

I think you're right.

I have yet to hear "Draped Up" on the radio up here or down in ATL when I was there last month.

Bun B= Highly Irrelevant.

I see/hear more about that turd-burger "danger doom".

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    And the final track, a collaboration with the celebrity punk drummer Travis Barker, is anticlimactic, to say the least.

skinhead rob

I think you're right.

This has a lot more to do with the circles you move in than it does with the overall number of people talking about either album.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Yup, the Cartoon network has a better promotions dept. than most rap labels. Haha. Ugh.

I don't see why Bun B is irrelevent though.

I think you're right.

This has a lot more to do with the circles you move in than it does with the overall number of people talking about either album.

ha, you fuck-wad. Naw man, well maybe. SF is pretty fucking corny/has bad taste in rap music. Naw but I saw ads all over the internets and it reviewed in a grip of magazines.

They'll occasionally throw Bun-B in during a mixshow (Usually "I ain't heard of that"-The Jay-Z version sons it...yeah I said it.)

• Armed with this tough but argyle[/b] style

I thought for a minute the article was about .

• I don't see why Bun B is irrelevent though.

I was joking. That whole "relevant/irrelevant" shit is a running joke I like to use. I think Faux used to throw that term around a lot when discussing such criminally slept on groups like "Y'all So Stupid" and "Madkap".

But yo, I have the feeling once the frenzy dies down artistes like Bun and Keek with be deemed "has beens" and all the cornballs will be onto the "next trend".

• and I coudn't name a UGK song to save my life. I'm secure enough to admit it.

I think you're right.

Naw but I saw ads all over the internets and it reviewed in a grip of magazines.

Again, this has more to do with the magazines you read than anything else:

"I'll take the latest issue of URB and two day-glo pacifiers, please"

But yo, I have the feeling once the frenzy dies down artistes like Bun and Keek with be deemed "has beens" and all the cornballs will be onto the "next trend".

Bun B is a legend.

Only lesser artists become "has beens"... legends just fade into legendary status, where instead of condemning them for the weakness of their new work, people just choose to ignore the sh!t and remember them for what they were.

This is all hypothatical, of course, since I don't think Bun B is anywhere close to falling off, and this album will probably do the same numebrs as most UGK albums have done.

• But yo, I have the feeling once the frenzy dies down artistes like Bun and Keek with be deemed "has beens" and all the cornballs will be onto the "next trend".

Bun B is a legend.

Only lesser artists become "has beens"... legends just fade into legendary status, where instead of condemning them for the weakness of their new work, people just choose to ignore the sh!t and remember them for what they were.

This is all hypothatical, of course, since I don't think Bun B is anywhere close to falling off, and this album will probably do the same numebrs as most UGK albums have done.

true. Bun B seems to be a legend in the TX/South. I'm talking about he'll be a "has been" to the dudes who got into him in the past year. They're could be literally buying drapes, wearing them around town and thinking "hey, I'm draped up".

Same goes for Mac Mall. All the little dudes with the "thizz in peace" bumper sticker will be on some "dude, it was just a phase in my life....turn up the 'Yo Lo Tengo'".

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

true. Bun B seems to be a legend in the TX/South. I'm talking about he'll be a "has been" to the dudes who got into him in the past year. They're could be literally buying drapes, wearing them around town and thinking "hey, I'm draped up".

Same goes for Mac Mall. All the little dudes with the "thizz in peace" bumper sticker will be on some "dude, it was just a phase in my life....turn up the 'Yo Lo Tengo'".

Tepid.

• Man replace rap music with writing and this sounds dumb

Just because I ain't read Virginia Woolf in a long time don't mean The Waves was a phase in my life. Shit is, was, and will be epic

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The Pimp C album was 10 times better than Bun B's.I only like 4 songs off it "The Story" and "Pushin'" are the only songs that really stand out for me.I dont see it sellin' either.My 2 Cents = $1.24 JA.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    The Pimp C album was 10 times better than Bun B's.I only like 4 songs off it "The Story" and "Pushin'" are the only songs that really stand out for me.I dont see it sellin' either.My 2 Cents = $1.24 JA.

J Prince is on his way to your house right now.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

J Prince is on his way to your house right now.

He has " Many rivers/Ocean To Cross " before he can get at me.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    damn, so wait, this shit is out? The pimp C album was good? I guess im the one that needs some info!

oh well, thanks for voicing you opinions.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i don't know how big this album will be, but this song is wicked! would i get up out of my seat for this? yes. would i ask the driver to please turn that shit up if it came on the radio? yes. (unless it was my mom and then i would say that song and not that shit). would it make me dance in my underwear in public? no.

• man they need to leave fuckin jeezy off this track .. jay too. they fucked it all up, wasted a really nice beat. should have pimp, bun .. THATS IT. maybe z-ro.

bun's album sucks though and i'll just have to wait patiently for the imaginary UGK reunion album

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i will be purchasing this and the new depeche mode cd tomorrow