Al Green Vs. Marvin Gaye?

2»

Comments

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Well after reading the Marvin Gaye book I pick AL Green! Marvin had skills but after reading the book I lost some respect for dude...

essplain...

I'll just put it this way if he tried a little bit more he would of had a lot more classics...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    this is not the best black artist ever, just Gaye versus Green.

Thanks - when names like Patrice Rushen and Prince get thrown in here, I kinda knew we went a li'l too far...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Well after reading the Marvin Gaye book I pick AL Green! Marvin had skills but after reading the book I lost some respect for dude...

essplain...

I'll just put it this way if he tried a little bit more he would of had a lot more classics...

I've read the book a couple times so I was just curious what you meant by it.
    You said you lost some respect for him so I can only guess it's because he got high and cheated on his wife? I don't know what that has to do with his music though.

essplain...

I've read the book a couple times so I was just curious what you meant by it.
    You said you lost some respect for him so I can only guess it's because he got high and cheated on his wife? I don't know what that has to do with his music though.

Nah he could have done better though he did create classics but he could have done more... He probably lacked vitamins from the Mango's.... Or he cleaned to many toilets...

Look at Stevie Wonder now that dude worked hard, and he deserves all the credit!!! That's it! STEVIE WONDER wins HANDS DOWN... No more battlin, Wonder Did how it should be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FACT!

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Nah he could have done better though he did create classics but he could have done more... He probably lacked vitamins from the Mango's.... Or he cleaned to many toilets...

hahaha nah man, not enough push ups!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I gotta stick with the original argument that Green & Gaye don't compare well, except maybe as straight vocalists, but Marvin was doing his thing for a minute before we heard much noise from Al. Marvin wins the vocal skills battle, his range in both voice and material clobbers Green at all turns.

My favorite Al Green song is "Guess It's Just My Luck" by Syl Johnson.

I think the Marvin & Curtis compare makes more sense, but then you have to give it to Curtis if you grade them by their multi-tasking. Curtis was involved in so many other people's projects, he was running a few labels, he straight had acts making hits for him throughout his entire career, from Major Lance to Linda Clifford...he has compositions that have been covered hundreds of times, some are considered absolute standards, he wrote almost all of his own material, on every kind of subject. Curtis was all-world.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I had this debate years ago in an after hours joint.I go with Gaye but the other dude had some legit points. I felt that Marvin's strength was his versatility.His subject matter went beyond love themes. I was wondereing who you other strutters would pick in this debate?

Al Green outweighs Marvin by how much? Shit, no contest. Marvin woulda gotted dropped like he was hot, gloves on or off. It woulda been another Love TKO.

I had this debate years ago in an after hours joint.I go with Gaye but the other dude had some legit points. I felt that Marvin's strength was his versatility.His subject matter went beyond love themes. I was wondereing who you other strutters would pick in this debate?

Al Green outweighs Marvin by how much? Shit, no contest. Marvin woulda gotted dropped like he was hot, gloves on or off. It woulda been another Love TKO.

That and now everytime I see Chris Tucker I am reminded of good AL in Dead Prez, when Chris Tucker OD's.....

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Pssssh this is reaching comedic levels now. Marvin wasn't a fighter from what I understood and he got his ass whupped quite a bit growing up (his last name is actually "Gay" so you can imagine how well that went over in his youth).

But we're talking about music though.

REFUCKINGSPECT[/b]

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If an alien came to earth, which album would you give it to prove your arguement?
    No greatest hits bullshit allowed. Remember Green vs Gaye. Oh yeah for those Stevie Wonder fans,Stevie was truly liberated after Marvin put his foot down at Motown. Gaye was the first big name there to throw a bitch-fit over his art.Everyone else benefitted from his stance during the What's Goin'On album.Stevie did kill the comp though.Kinda like Jordan after Magic.

Pssssh this is reaching comedic levels now. Marvin wasn't a fighter from what I understood and he got his ass whupped quite a bit growing up (his last name is actually "Gay" so you can imagine how well that went over in his youth).

But we're talking about music though.

REFUCKINGSPECT[/b]

Who's Refuckingspect? Is that another Motown Singer? That is a good picture of Al by the way! Al was the bomb with his duet with Tammy Terrell.....

If an alien came to earth, which album would you give it to prove your arguement?
    No greatest hits bullshit allowed. Remember Green vs Gaye. Oh yeah for those Stevie Wonder fans,Stevie was truly liberated after Marvin put his foot down at Motown. Gaye was the first big name there to throw a bitch-fit over his art.Everyone else benefitted from his stance during the What's Goin'On album.Stevie did kill the comp though.Kinda like Jordan after Magic.

Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder..... Plus He had Dorthy Ashby play with him, another reason why Stevie is better...Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....Stevie Wonder.....

Ijustcalledtosayiloveyou/ebonyivory/dontdrivedrunk

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Wasn't Marvin in a group with Billy Stewart pre-Motown?

• FYI:[/b]

Is the book any selfrespecting Marvin Gaye devotee should read (imho) Not only is the writing better and much more informative, the book is based on more interviews and source research than this overly subjective/suggestive piece of crap[/b]

And yes, i've read both books.

thanx for the info.divided soul was good but many times it felt fabricated/speculative.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    thanx for the info.divided soul was good but many times it felt fabricated/speculative.

Exactly. David Ritz seems like a bitch too.

I'll have to check out that other book for sure.

REFUCKINGSPECT used to sing back up at Hi then later jumped to Motown and sold coke to everyone.

He does give pretty decent linear notes of all the rereleased Gaye cds.

• BUMP.

• Crazy how ones opinion can change over 5 years...just read my post and although I still agree with what I said...I have discovered Marvin's early singles over the last few years and I have to say dudes are tied for me now...
    Marvin's early output is phenominal.

• pickwick33 said:
    As far as Marvin Gaye...I believe the churchy piano you hear on the WHAT'S GOING ON elpee was played by Marv's own two hands.

Yes, Marvin got down on the piano his whole career. He also played drums too. T Plays it Cool and Heavy Love Affair are two great examples.