Al Green Vs. Marvin Gaye?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I had this debate years ago in an after hours joint.I go with Gaye but the other dude had some legit points. I felt that Marvin's strength was his versatility.His subject matter went beyond love themes. I was wondereing who you other strutters would pick in this debate?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    As a complete artist I'd go with Marvin, on the sheer strength of his output. Dude made great records into the 80s... also, the versatility and writing prowess. But it's a hard call on sheer singing skill... I might have to go with Al on the raw sexy hot and bothered funky style and the sheer emotion in his voice. I mean that dude could squeeze sweat out of a rock.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I'm just glad they kept their rivalry on wax and didn't take it to the streets.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Well after reading the Marvin Gaye book I pick AL Green! Marvin had skills but after reading the book I lost some respect for dude... Al Green fo sho! He went with his gut and came out on top!

BUT CURTIS beats them BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CURTIS LIVE!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Maybe I should rephrase the question so that this a debate about the art.We're not judging these artist personal lives. Just the art.Just the art. Just the art.

• after reading the book I lost some respect for dude...

The book is now officially on my 'to read' list, but in the meantime, can i get some brief further info on 'Why'?

ive read Divided Soul. but so what, Ive listened to Here My Dear. That album is so much more insightful. fuck that people magazine gossip info. Critique the product.

• As a complete artist I'd go with Marvin, on the sheer strength of his output. Dude made great records into the 80s... also, the versatility and writing prowess. But it's a hard call on sheer singing skill... I might have to go with Al on the raw sexy hot and bothered funky style and the sheer emotion in his voice. I mean that dude could squeeze sweat out of a rock.

C-S with a side of A-Y

Curtis could be put there but G and G are primarily vocalists to the public.Curtis was slanging that beautiful guitar during his heyday.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Curtis could be put there but G and G are primarily vocalists to the public.Curtis was slanging that beautiful guitar during his heyday.

You haven't heard Al Green's THE BELLE ALBUM, have you? That acoustic blues guitar was played by Al himself, and he wasn't shucking. As far as Marvin Gaye...I believe the churchy piano you hear on the WHAT'S GOING ON elpee was played by Marv's own two hands.

As far as the debate between Al, Marvin and Curtis...why choose? For me, Curtis might lag slightly behind because for all his ambition, his albums were inconsistent. But all three of these guys were giants; I couldn't choose one over the others.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    You haven't heard Al Green's THE BELLE ALBUM, have you? That acoustic blues guitar was played by Al himself, and he wasn't shucking. As far as Marvin Gaye...I believe the churchy piano you hear on the WHAT'S GOING ON elpee was played by Marv's own two hands.

Marvin was a drummer as well. If I remember correctly, he played drums on the Originals song "The Bells", which he also wrote and produced. I also read that the success of this song gave Marvin enough clout to start taking more contol of his music, leading into "What's Going On".

But back to the question at hand...

But all three of these guys were giants; I couldn't choose one over the others.

Maybe I should rephrase the question so that this a debate about the art.We're not judging these artist personal lives. Just the art.Just the art. Just the art.

I still pick Al Green, Wu-Tang sampled him more!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Marvin was a drummer as well. If I remember correctly, he played drums on the Originals song "The Bells", which he also wrote and produced. I also read that the success of this song gave Marvin enough clout to start taking more contol of his music, leading into "What's Going On".

I think Marvin might have played drums on a couple Motown recordings from the 60s.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    Well after reading the Marvin Gaye book I pick AL Green! Marvin had skills but after reading the book I lost some respect for dude... Al Green fo sho! He went with his gut and came out on top!

Man, Al Green was as much "not a role model" as Marvin in his personal life....

I like al green, but his records are too much "monodimensional" for my taste

I mean Marvin was more various in the arrangments and a bit more "free" from the producer-mark compared to AL Green

and Curtis Mayfield ...he is PURE GENIUS...but if I should choose only one, I still would pick Marvin

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    although "Whats Goin On" is a masterpiece, I gotta go with AL, because soul music to me is something that should be measured song by song and how that person brings the emotion and power out of his/her voice for a particular song, and Al has that won by a country mile.I will go with Marvin on the "who made a better LP?" tip, but song for song, voice for voice, emotion for emotion, Al all the way.

p.s. anyone heard Al's insane funk cut "You Say It"? 45 only...a great one to play out, it is a killer.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I hate to say it, but I've always thought Al Green gets a little too much of the credit for his music. He was certainly the best singer Willie Mitchell worked with, but if you listen to a Willie Mitchell-produced track with someone doing a decent Al Green impersonation (Syl Johnson, anyone?), you don't really miss the guy so much.

Marvin, on the other hand, is irreplaceable to me. Plus he runs circles around Al Green as far as song writing and arranging are concerned.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I mean Marvin was more various in the arrangments and a bit more "free" from the producer-mark compared to AL Green

That's because Marvin (and Curtis) were a lot more "progressive" than Al. Marvin and Curtis had loftier "FM" ambitions - concept LP's, extended jams, sermon lyrics, overtones of white rock (in Curtis' case), etc.. Al, on the other hand, made (relatively) slick AM singles that stayed within the bounds. Not to say that any one of these artists were inferior - all were certified geniuses, but there are differences.

That's because Marvin (and Curtis) were a lot more "progressive" than Al. Marvin and Curtis had loftier "FM" ambitions - concept LP's, extended jams, sermon lyrics, overtones of white rock (in Curtis' case), etc.. Al, on the other hand, made (relatively) slick AM singles that stayed within the bounds. Not to say that any one of these artists were inferior - all were certified geniuses, but there are differences.

agree........

...for instance just read the credits on the "Trouble Man" LP to see that Marvin worked with near a different producer for each song ........

the guy was experimentig for sho'

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    To put it another way, it's kind of like saying "Let's Get Married" vs. "Let's Get It On". Which would you choose?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    BUT Stevie [/b] beats them BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CURTIS LIVE!

BUT Stevie [/b] beats them BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and where is Lamount Dozier ?......and Terry Callier ?

........and my man Bobby Womack ? .........what abt Donny Hathaway ?

we wanna talk abt less known Leon Ware and Leroy Hutson ?

please feel free to add more ........

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    BUT Stevie [/b] beats them BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and where is Lamount Dozier ?......and Terry Callier ?

........and my man Bobby Womack ? .........what abt Donny Hathaway ?

Ray Charles, Bootsy Collins, Sly Stone, Larry Graham, Keni Burke, James Brown, Clarence Burke, George Clinton, Prince, Shuggie Otis, Michael Henderson, Norman Connors, Larry Blackmon, Patrice Rushen, Gavin Christopher, Junie Morrison, The Brothers Johnson, Eugene McDaniels, Walter Jackson, Billy Preston to add on some other multi-talented type cats.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Well after reading the Marvin Gaye book I pick AL Green! Marvin had skills but after reading the book I lost some respect for dude...

essplain...

• ademurademur 33 Posts

Always thought Johnny Bristol cut some nice lp's from 73 - 80.

Marvin for me btw

Always thought Johnny Bristol cut some nice lp's from 73 - 80.

Talkin abt underrated fellows......

Will Hutch anyone ?

he receive proper credit or the Foxy Brown ost but I guess all of his 73- 76 discography worth

and abt AL green....

Do you knows the Willie Mitchell-produced female trio named Quiet Elegance.?......

.it has been recent discovery for me .....highly recommended for all AL Green fans

later
    S

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    If we're talking about who's record i would put on more frequently, than Al Green.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Do you knows the Willie Mitchell-produced female trio named Quiet Elegance.?......

.it has been recent discovery for me .....highly recommended for all AL Green fans

later
    S

Word? What's it sound like? I mean does it sound like that classic "HI" records steez? If so, I must copeth said jawn.

later
    S

Word? What's it sound like? I mean does it sound like that classic "HI" records steez? If so, I must copeth said jawn.

Word !

it's Willie Mitchell 100 % hot butter.....

this is not the best black artist ever, just Gaye versus Green.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    this is not the best black artist ever, just Gaye versus Green.

Marvin Gaye all the way, though Al Green is FARRRRRRRRRRRR from a slouch himself.

Peace,

Big Stack from Kakalak