WHY DO YOU COLLECT RECORDS?

Comments

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    definte collector ocd, definite producer/searching for new samples thing, but also, i love making compilations and SHARING the cool stuff i discover with friends and fam. If i could hook up a pirate radio station and DJ all day with my collection, that would be the ultimate sharing experience. just so long as i keep the actual records, hahaha

• definte collector ocd, definite producer/searching for new samples thing, but also, i love making compilations and SHARING the cool stuff i discover with friends and fam. If i could hook up a pirate radio station and DJ all day with my collection, that would be the ultimate sharing experience. just so long as i keep the actual records, hahaha

Yeah I'd put myself in the same boat.

I like to think of myself as an 'Accumulator' rather than a collector.
    I don't have any in plastic sleeves, I play them out on the regular, they probably all have cue burns, the covers are getting shittier through wear & tear & as long as I have a copy for myself I'm happy. Naturally I'd prefer to have the original, but what is most important is the actual music, not the vehicle it arrives in. But usually the only way i can hear the music I want is if I buy it myself on wax. Though the Strut has just given me almost 1GBs in the last week of music. Thank you people.

Having a basis in hip hop makes me appreciate other music so much more. I never cared about music until I heard 'Buffalo Gals'. Now it's basically all i care about (and obscure cult films/good world cinema). I could give a fuck about a pair of kicks.

Oh, I do like good shelving though.

Stamps would take up less space.

• i know back in the day to me it was more for status and because i was looking for them breakbeats. past few years i have gotten out of that and look for records that no one has or even considers. i still collect records and i don't think i will ever stop. the thing that gets me is ok so what if you have all these records what are you doing with them? if your a producer you use what you can. just because i don't have the raerest record doesnt mean i won't be succesful. is their a club that makes you this big collector that everyone brags about? just asking cause i see alot of cats that have massive collections and really never do anything with them or never really come with it with the production. out all those records they come up with weak tracks with no real dopeness. just asking not hating on anyone.

Most record collectors arent "producers". It is no longer 1992. Im pretty sure its just being, "a lover of music". I suppose thats how we are "using" them, by listening to them, and cataloging them for future listens when we music lovers decide to flip our ever changing playlists.

C.

• I was raised in the seventies on Sesame Street records. I was hooked at three.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    out all those records they come up with weak tracks with no real dopeness.

Hmmm, plaese to give some examples?

thanks,
    M

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i guess i meant some of the people that i deal with from time to time that i come accross. they have these dope collections but when they let me hear certain tracks they just are regular samples that everybody has or just flipped somewhat. i used to get all excited when i would go over peoples house and expect some real raer shit being used to melt my face but would end up just being dissapointed. i guess it depends on what you want out of this music. me for instance i would use and take advantage of my records. i used to hold back on alot of my records as well for that one day i would finally make it. thinking i would end up in new york or l.a. doin major work for labels. since then i have sold part of my jazz collection and made mad skrilla of thyem records. i still have many records to date. i guess my thing is,use yor records and don't hold back. i also remember cats playing all these dope records for me and thinking wow! man what is that? juast to be let down.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    i guess my thing is,use your records and don't hold back.

YES

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    I don't understan' the kwestion.....

flunk

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    i guess i meant some of the people that i deal with from time to time that i come accross. they have these dope collections but when they let me hear certain tracks they just are regular samples that everybody has or just flipped somewhat. i used to get all excited when i would go over peoples house and expect some real raer shit being used to melt my face but would end up just being dissapointed. i guess it depends on what you want out of this music. me for instance i would use and take advantage of my records. i used to hold back on alot of my records as well for that one day i would finally make it. thinking i would end up in new york or l.a. doin major work for labels. since then i have sold part of my jazz collection and made mad skrilla of thyem records. i still have many records to date. i guess my thing is,use yor records and don't hold back. i also remember cats playing all these dope records for me and thinking wow! man what is that? juast to be let down.

Having an infinite number of dope records won't guarantee credible beatmaking skills nor ensure being a reputable selector when it comes to DJ'ing - that's a trait that can only be nurtured so much before it ultimately rests on whether or not you have it - despite the recent proliferation of music making software (and hardware), the ratio of quality versus those in possession of these tools is pretty much skewed - i.e. a small number worth anything... I've seen people w/ large collections who feel that it (foolishly) ontologically embellishes their very constitution/person...

Food for thought though - if you're a person who's 5 foot tall and drives a large vehicle to feel larger, you're still 5 foot tall no matter what - 1 record or 10 million records doesn't change the person (and frankly, you might wanna be dubious of people who admire you if only for the material goods in your possession) - can't be the core, only an extension of the person... Would you be willing to trade your friends and family for your records if put to the task? And as important as music is to me and my time...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I'm no serious collector..........I just like music.

• because i like playing people the music i love (that happens to be on vinyl.)

• I collect vinyl because it's the only music format I'll be able to get music out of after the apocalypse. Hand cranked bitches!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm no collector..........I like music.

• Options
    I always assume collect and have are the same, but I guess collect implies something owed (which, fi anyone owes something, it's me to the records and not the reverse).

Kevin.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I collect vinyl because it's the only music format I'll be able to get music out of after the apocalypse. Hand cranked bitches!

Shellac represent!

• I love music.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    collect implies something owed (which, if anyone owes something, it's me to the records and not the reverse).

Kevin.

i agree with this.

i don't like the connotation of collector for myself - the material/physical object is what the music happens to be on. i prefer records to CDs/mp3s/etc. like i prefer wool to arcrylic. record collector sounds to me like owner of things as opposed to fan of music. the latter applies to me more.

ps. i listened to the Johnny Osboure something like 30 times this weekend. shivers for days.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I love music.

loving music does not equal loving records - most music lovers are content with cds or mp3s or whatever the up-to-the-minute format is.

if you collect records there's sort of a fascination with the vinyl record as a form - maybe mixed with some nostalgia.

collectors of beat-up old obscurities can hardly argue that vinyl provides a superior listening experience over cds etc.

---

• I love music.

loving music does not equal loving records - most music lovers are content with cds or mp3s or whatever the up-to-the-minute format is.

if you collect records there's sort of a fascination with the vinyl record as a form - maybe mixed with some nostalgia.

collectors of beat-up old obscurities can hardly argue that vinyl provides a superior listening experience over cds etc.

---

Thanks for the analysis Dr. Freud...but my answer stands.

I love music.

---

Thanks for the analysis Dr. Freud...but my answer stands.

"Hmm, I see... So, tell me about your relationship with your mother..."

I wonder what will become of vinyl collecting when the average person doesn't remember records ever being in their day-to-day life.

"Oh yeah, my mom used to play that CD when I was a shorty..."

---

• I think I'm a collector. I enjoy to physically own records. For me it's about discovery. I have never had a wantlist. I'm hard to trade with because I have no wantlist. It's all about the game of letting the covers and info speak to me and let me decide whether it's worthwhile to buy. It also gives me a purpose. Especially when traveling. I have to ask around, go to neighborhoods I would otherwise not end up. See what the local styles are or what the records in the bins say about the history and culture of that country. Records always speak for themselves with that big ass cover art and those great fonts etc. No matter where you are, you can have a clue what's it about (okay, not with Russian Melodia records in generic sleeves). I think if it was purely for the music I would buy CDs or download stuff. Then the possibilities would become endless and that would scare me off. Now you have to rely on fate what you will encounter. Because of this I have broadened my interest to many genres, to enhance the chances. I guess there's a lottery element to it too. Addicted to gambling. Like many of you I guess. i do download stuff and buy an occasional CD but I end up not listening to it. I rather play the records or my own CDR's.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Because all the cool kids are doing it.

Nah, I just think rekkids are kool, I love tracking them down, I love the raerity of them (and aobviously the visual and musical content) and the fact that some of it is so dope and so raer that just the slightest bit of exposure to some real heat could knock a poptart flat on their brainwashed, ignant, cd rubbing ass.

Rekkids are the bomb.

• That's what I was trying to say really.

I remember this one kid back in high school telling me that he didn't understand how I could watch black & white movies, they gave him a headache & he couldn't follow 'em. I'm afraid that's whats gonna happen to vinyl as an outdated format.

all these cool kids are all wild about their serato

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    because it makes me feel superior.

which I, obviously, am.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wonder what will become of vinyl collecting when the average person doesn't remember records ever being in their day-to-day life.

Museums to preserve wax. Archives of various genres. DJ lessons.
    Audiophile exhibitions. Record cover exhibitions. Various vinyl displays.
    Reissues at the gift shop. Bathrooms w/ slipmats in the toilet stall.
    Milkcrate sculptures for children to climb outside. Symposiums on turntablism vs.
    "real" musicianship(the Great 20th century arguement).A wing for donated
    collections from big dudes. Celebrity collections............

Feel free to add on.

• When you really think about it we just really care about what everyone else throws away. We just value what society has said doesn't have any value. I mean you could go buy a CD pay that $15 bones or hit the dollar bin and come up on 15 records, it almost seems to me diggin is cheeper than buying music in other forms. Of course commin outta pocket skrills for that dope joint is just like a testament to how much we value something that is not common. That and ladies dig guys with big.....record.....

• I like the way they look, sound and smell + I dig the equipment you need to play them.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Wait, remember when they said CDs would make the record obsolete. CDs are already on their way to the ash-heap. Did you ever meet a "CD Collector".

• all of the above, and none more than the next. CD collectors...pffft !