WHY DO YOU COLLECT RECORDS?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I love music.

loving music does not equal loving records - most music lovers are content with cds or mp3s or whatever the up-to-the-minute format is.

if you collect records there's sort of a fascination with the vinyl record as a form - maybe mixed with some nostalgia.

collectors of beat-up old obscurities can hardly argue that vinyl provides a superior listening experience over cds etc.

---

Loving music from a certain era insinuates loving record, no?

K.

• Options

ps. i listened to the Johnny Osboure something like 30 times this weekend. shivers for days.

If you noticed the procuction credits, that's a collaboratiion between Jerry Brown (of SUmmer Records) and O Creary (of Half Moon), arguably Toronto's 2 finest producers (gotta throw King CUlture in there, too). Never heard a track like that, likely never will.

Glad you're happy, Kevin.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It's haunting, heart-breaking and skin-melting. I almost left another one of those gushy messages I leave everytime I get records from you, but I got distracted by the stereo. Thanks so much for bringing them by. In The Rain made J***y's night.

• Options
    It's haunting, heart-breaking and skin-melting. I almost left another one of those gushy messages I leave everytime I get records from you, but I got distracted by the stereo. Thanks so much for bringing them by. In The Rain made J***y's night.

Why I do what I do. Johnnie can sing!...and where'd he make his best stuff? what? what?

Here, that's where.

K.

P.S. Stay tuned for my interview with him and subsequent article on www.ducktape.ca about Canadian reggae

• I love music.

loving music does not equal loving records - most music lovers are content with cds or mp3s or whatever the up-to-the-minute format is.

if you collect records there's sort of a fascination with the vinyl record as a form - maybe mixed with some nostalgia.

collectors of beat-up old obscurities can hardly argue that vinyl provides a superior listening experience over cds etc.

---

Thanks for the analysis Dr. Freud...but my answer stands.

"Hmm, I see... So, tell me about your relationship with your mother..."

I wonder what will become of vinyl collecting when the average person doesn't remember records ever being in their day-to-day life.[/b]

"Oh yeah, my mom used to play that CD when I was a shorty..."

---

I think those days are already here, especially with youngsters. I've had to "explain" records to my nieces and nephews.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Because I'm trying to pull freaks like DeeRock!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I wonder what will become of vinyl collecting when the average person doesn't remember records ever being in their day-to-day life.[/b]

"Oh yeah, my mom used to play that CD when I was a shorty..."

I think those days are already here, especially with youngsters. I've had to "explain" records to my nieces and nephews.

Even worse...I'm starting to hear the term "B-side" used in relation to CD-era artists who never released a seven-inch single in their careers. Any rarity that was on a limited-edition promo is now a "B-side." That is seventeen different kinds of wrong!!!

BOOGITY BOOGITY. [/b]

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    because im insecure

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

all these cool kids are all wild about their serato

you cant break weed out on a serato. which is why i collect/have/buy records

• For the , man, the .

Honestly I find myself caring less about the music and more for the money...unless it's hip-hop again. I have been using my friends turntables too long and need to save to buy some. All I got is a listening station.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I remember this one kid back in high school telling me that he didn't understand how I could watch black & white movies, they gave him a headache & he couldn't follow 'em.

reminds me of the ex girlfriend, note EX, when i talked about a few subtitled movies proceeded to say: you mean the ones where i have to read? fuck that, i just like to go to a movie to watch, i don't go to a movie to read...

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    its my therapy...lookin for records keeps me focosed on the task at hand. its like being a weed head but with records instead...you always are lookin for the best shit. i love almost everything about records except for how gentle you have to be with them to keep them in lovely shape.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I get an extreme emotional high off hearing dope tunes I've never heard before, and I needs me some smoke

K in Canada.