Music that Has Moved You Lately?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Canadian records never cease to amaze me - Toronto West Indian gospel for the drum starved:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jasonofshaft/refresh/istherea.rm

K.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey Tom,

Cats diss me on here for this, but I prop "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" (Joni Mitchell) around here all the time as a beautiful LP. "Edith and the Kingpin" is my favorite cut from it. I play at work a lot to chill me out.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I prop "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" (Joni Mitchell) around here all the time as a beautiful LP.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I prop "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" (Joni Mitchell) around here all the time as a beautiful LP.

Yo Birdman,

It's nice to know that I am not alone! I'm a sucker for melodic, pretty music. I listen to that LP over and over and over. It's one of those platters I always go back to. That would be a nice thread, wouldn't it? "Records You Go Back to Again and Again".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yo Birdman,

It's nice to know that I am not alone! I'm a sucker for melodic, pretty music. I listen to that LP over and over and over. It's one of those platters I always go back to. That would be a nice thread, wouldn't it? "Records You Go Back to Again and Again".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I admit to a total bias against Joni Mitchell in my teen years, becuz I was too hard-headed and 'punk' to enjoy 'hippie music' like that. But in my 20s I eased up and in my travels came across 'Hissing...' and was mightily impressed. Joni Mitchell is just a badass, she makes difficult stuff sound so effortless it's sick. I like a lot of her work, but 'Hissing...' is what I always come back to. I seem to remember Prince talkiing about it being a big influence on him growing up. Not altogether surprising.

Yo Birdman,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I admit to a total bias against Joni Mitchell in my teen years, becuz I was too hard-headed and 'punk' to enjoy 'hippie music' like that. But in my 20s I eased up and in my travels came across 'Hissing...' and was mightily impressed. Joni Mitchell is just a badass, she makes difficult stuff sound so effortless it's sick. I like a lot of her work, but 'Hissing...' is what I always come back to. I seem to remember Prince talkiing about it being a big influence on him growing up. Not altogether surprising.

She's an amazing songwriter and her voice is soooooo soothing, sweet, and warm. I love her instrumentation too, subtle and simple, yet expertly arranged. Her work touches my soul, fo real.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Canadian records never cease to amaze me - Toronto West Indian gospel for the drum starved:

K.

thanks homie.. this is raw as ice. why did you cut it when they sing bout jesus?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

2. Lite rock from the 70's- too much to name! But I'll throw a few titles out there any way- Maria Muldaur "Midnigt At The Oasis", Climax Blues Band "Couldn't Get It Right", Starbuck "Moonlight Feels Right" and the list goes on. Don't let me rock the tables at the record show in May, Tripledub... it's gonna be on like a mug!

Damm Phil, it's like you're taking a stroll thru my private
    mindgarden...a special playlist known as GROWN MARINA.

Have you ever checked out the Atlanta Rhythm Section?

Oh, HELLS YEAH! That "So Into You" joint is on the Soulman aka Literockfromthe70sMan playlist, too! Doobie Bros. "Black Water", of course Carole King "It's Too Late" (although I'm actually kinda feelin' the Carol Burnett version a little more right now), even wack sh*t like England Dan & John Ford Coley "Nights Are Forever"! I LOVE ME SOME LITE ROCK FROM THE 70'S, MANG!

Oh, how the bloody stool will splatter the walls after it hits the fan at this Philly record show in May if they let me on the tables... YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED.

Homie, you heard the Reggae Version? It's on point.

Cats diss me on here for this, but I prop "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" (Joni Mitchell) around here all the time as a beautiful LP. "

AS sampled by Jonny Paychecks

Koncepts
    Ambersunshine

• Sup meaty.
    I need to send you a little something, get at me dog!
    [email]sixtoo@sixtoo.net[/email]

Kevin: send me 2 of those shits with no cue burn, damn man.

My currents:
    Faust BBC Session '71.
    Ex Ovo Pro and other Amanya label e.u. jazz.
    LeOrme - Collage LP.

Im thinking hard about moving to europe...

6.dos

• tomtom 36 Posts
    Hey Tom,

Cats diss me on here for this, but I prop "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" (Joni Mitchell) around here all the time as a beautiful LP. "Edith and the Kingpin" is my favorite cut from it. I play at work a lot to chill me out.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

haha..i'm a huge joni fan,i collect a lot of her rare records/pressings, proper nerdy shit...she's too dope.even have a gold award i bought presented to Tom Scott for her album with the LA Express 'Miles of Isles' on my wall.

http://iswt.org/tom/recs.jpg

no one's ever impressed about that except me.

Cats diss me on here for this, but I prop "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" (Joni Mitchell) around here all the time as a beautiful LP. "

Koncepts
    Ambersunshine

Me too!!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Koncepts
    Ambersunshine

Me too!!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Actually Defari sampled it as well. I'm seeing a trend though, Defairi, Jawny Pay$$ and you are either teachers or have taught a class at some point.

Hmmmmmmmm

• Options

K.

thanks homie.. this is raw as ice. why did you cut it when they sing bout jesus?

I don't have that much web space. Nothing against Jesus being sung about - the song actually gets better during the 2nd half.

K.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    can someone post up that lou courtney hot buttery? i keep hearing people bring it up but i cant find it anywhere..

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Salem Travellers "wade in the water" rough gospel with a hot drummer. weepy sweaty vibe.

Is this on HALO records?

Yes. One-Derful's gospel label. Just about everything from the One-Derful company had HARD drums, and the gospel product was no exception.
    Thank you sir!

i didnt answer this originally becuz im not where that record is, im just playing cd-rs far away. BUT that 'halo' answer didnt feel right. then i remembered i pictured this record in an old weekly finds list. and it looks like its on Chess actually... anyone know more about this? could the Chess be a re-issuing? its definitely a vintage record, i remember that much, early 70s at the latest.

• I prop "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" (Joni Mitchell) around here all the time as a beautiful LP.

Yo Birdman,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

She's an amazing songwriter and her voice is soooooo soothing, sweet, and warm. I love her instrumentation too, subtle and simple, yet expertly arranged. Her work touches my soul, fo real.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Co-co-co-cosign on all Joni. 'Court & Spark' is one of my all time fave LPs.

• Options

2. Lite rock from the 70's- too much to name! But I'll throw a few titles out there any way- Maria Muldaur "Midnigt At The Oasis", Climax Blues Band "Couldn't Get It Right", Starbuck "Moonlight Feels Right" and the list goes on. Don't let me rock the tables at the record show in May, Tripledub... it's gonna be on like a mug!

Damm Phil, it's like you're taking a stroll thru my private

mindgarden...a special playlist known as GROWN MARINA.

Have you ever checked out the Atlanta Rhythm Section?

Oh, HELLS YEAH! That "So Into You" joint is on the Soulman aka Literockfromthe70sMan playlist, too! Doobie Bros. "Black Water", of course Carole King "It's Too Late" (although I'm actually kinda feelin' the Carol Burnett version a little more right now), even wack sh*t like England Dan & John Ford Coley "Nights Are Forever"! I LOVE ME SOME LITE ROCK FROM THE 70'S, MANG!

Oh, how the bloody stool will splatter the walls after it hits the fan at this Philly record show in May if they let me on the tables... YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED.

Homie, you heard the Reggae Version? It's on point.

I got copies of this if anyone's down (West Indian version of Baby Come Back)

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jasonofshaft/refresh/babycome.rm

K in Canada.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Playlist of songs featured in this thread:

RAJ said:
    Playlist of songs featured in this thread:

Hey Raj,

Remember my "Bong Shit" mix? I featured that Colours joint on it. Great song!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak