Music that Has Moved You Lately?

Comments

• Stacknikova (and everyone else),

I got some joints that have most definitely been hittin me where it hurts lately. I've been on a pretty mellowed out finding myself tip, so you know there's bound to be some introspective jams up on my platter. Check it:

1. "Gnostic" - Grachcan Moncur III
    I like to sit on the floor and stare at my palms when I listen to this one. You ever think about what palm readers check for? This song reminds me of searching for the sun only to find pocket lint. It's on his "Some Other Stuff" (Blue Note, 1964) album, which finds him appraoching mind numb trombone improv svengali status on a hushed sinister piano / bass interplay vibe. Makes me want to stick a straw in a bitch's ass and blow bubbles.

2. "These Days" - Nico
    This is on her "Chelsea Girl" (Verve, 1968) album. You ever feel like a song makes your pubic hair stand up? Uh, me neither. But if I did, it would most likely be while listening to these string arrangements. Features Nico's always haunting voice that transvestites seem to take note of when applying make up and talking into the mirror. Someone once asked, 'What's your goal in life?', to which the only reply can be, 'To become immortal and then die.' Hopeless optimism is my bag right now.

3. "Here Comes the Night" - Them
    This song starts out with an over-tremolo'd fretboard descension and Van Morrison's heated caterwaul. Such an appropriate opening for a song about seeing your 'girl walking down the street with another guyeeuy.' This version, from Them's self titled album (Parrot, 1965), shits on the million covers by half assed garage bands, Van himself, and David Bowie. Yeah I said it, fuck David Bowie. I like to put this song on when I wake up because it's really depressing and only makes sense to play at night. It also goes really well with my morning routine of drinking a lukewarm pint of goat blood in the front of the crack in my window that lets all the cold air and construction noise into my apartment. This song makes the pit of my stomach wretch.

4. "Remember (Walking in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las
    Shadow Morton produced the Shangri-Las "Leader of the Pack" LP (Red Bird, 1964). I'm not sure what drugs he was on, but I could probably use some. Take some sickeningly saccharine vocals and put them over the sound of high school beach murder scene nostalgia and you get a blurry, shaky-handed picture of this song. Is he just rubbing the surface of electric guitar strings to make those seagull sounds? Why do people not own this record? How is it possible that Sofia Coppola hasn't used this song yet? And other such questions that will probably be answered imminently. 2:18 of skin crawl bliss.

5. "Hardtime Killing Floor Blues" - Skip James
    How the fuck do you make your voice sound like a harmonica? I really need to look into that. (From "Devil Got My Woman", Vanguard, 1968).

Bonus:
    6. "Slab" - Mr. Lucci
    It's been two years, and people still ain't ready for slab. I guess dude doesn't have enough metaphors.

Show 'em what you got.

Peace,
    Rape Donk from Nonkalonk

I can't believe yall let this ride... brilliance in our midst

Well written. Are those from TTL?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    That Montgomery Movement LP has been seriously moving me lately... spending $12 on the reissue would be a great look for you little dudes.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

But really, what could be? When dude's hitting, all you can really do is point in the direction of the ricochet. Brilliance, indeed.

And TTL vendetta dude needs to cool it. Did they send you the thin envelope or something?

• 2. "These Days" - Nico
    This is on her "Chelsea Girl" (Verve, 1968) album. You ever feel like a song makes your pubic hair stand up? Uh, me neither. But if I did, it would most likely be while listening to these string arrangements. Features Nico's always haunting voice that transvestites seem to take note of when applying make up and talking into the mirror. Someone once asked, 'What's your goal in life?', to which the only reply can be, 'To become immortal and then die.' Hopeless optimism is my bag right now.

This song always does it for me. Even though Nico seems to give up on even attempting to sing in key in the last verse it all adds to the overall effect.

Nico supposedly hated that record because of it's production.

Y'all are leaving out the fact that "These Days" was written by a 17-year-old Jackson Browne. His version (on his second album, For Everyman) is my favorite.

These days I sit on cornerstones
    And count the time in quarter-tones to 10
    My friend
    Don't confront me with my failures
    I had not forgotten them

That song gets me every time and I've been listening to it for almost 20 years. (See also Jackson Browne's entire first album.)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "What Could be Better, B****"-Son of Bazerk

niceness on a spring day in the Nation's Capital! Are you listening, Cosmo?!

• Rolling Stones - Sweet Virginia
    And I am not really a fan of country. More blasphemy!

That whole side two of Exile is just the best album side ever. Take that CD heads!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Lately I been into-

1. Kem "I Can't Stop Loving You" (grown folks music, no doubt... wouldn't expect most Strutters to feel it, but if you're into Sade I'd say check Kem out. Good chill out music for real. Can't wait for his sophomore lp to drop in May)

2. Lite rock from the 70's- too much to name! But I'll throw a few titles out there any way- Maria Muldaur "Midnigt At The Oasis", Climax Blues Band "Couldn't Get It Right", Starbuck "Moonlight Feels Right" and the list goes on. Don't let me rock the tables at the record show in May, Tripledub... it's gonna be on like a mug!

3. Ludacris w/ Peedi Crack "Potion" (remix)
    4. lots of Barrington Levy
    5. Incognito "If You Want My Love" (thanks, Fonzee.... come back home, hommie!)
    6. Crashers "Skank" b/w "Flight To Jamaica"
    7. Luther Vandross "This Close To You"
    8. Sun "My Woman"
    9. Ghostface Killah "Stroke Of Death"
    10. Ultimate Breaks & Beats Vols. 1-25. Fuk a brake??? Naw, fuk YOURSELF. That is all.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Don't let me rock the tables at the record show in May, Tripledub... it's gonna be on like a mug!

Record Revival show again in May?

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    And TTL vendetta dude needs to cool it. Did they send you the thin envelope or something?

My name is Fatback and I will fucking own your little bitch ass record collection 1 day.. (i.e., longstanding inside joke that you do not understand.) Best step the fuck off.

• 2. Lite rock from the 70's- too much to name! But I'll throw a few titles out there any way- Maria Muldaur "Midnigt At The Oasis", Climax Blues Band "Couldn't Get It Right", Starbuck "Moonlight Feels Right" and the list goes on. Don't let me rock the tables at the record show in May, Tripledub... it's gonna be on like a mug!

Damm Phil, it's like you're taking a stroll thru my private
    mindgarden...a special playlist known as GROWN MARINA.

Have you ever checked out the Atlanta Rhythm Section?

It's all about the hits...a lot of their deep cuts resemble
    a slicker, more proggy-Allman Bros. Lite, but hits are hits.

"So Into You" from the "A Rock And Roll Alternative" album:

What a perfect summer jam for the oasis.

Also don't front on ARS "Champagne Jam" boogie shuffle beat into
    J.B.s "Doing It To Death".

Ever have the opportunity to spin for an over-40 white crowd,
    drop Champagne Jam, and get ready for spilled drinks and stretched
    fabric. One of the best sounding intros of all time.

And there was an actual Champagne Jam which was held at
    Grant Field in Atlanta in 1978.

I remember my parents got a babysitter and went, and I was in awe...
    seems like everybody was talking about the Champagne Jam that summer,
    and my parents actually went.

I think it was the Atlanta Rhythm Section, Aerosmith, Mother's Finest
    and the Cars.

Now are y'all M-F'ers into Mother's Finest?

Pickwick 33 knows what's up on the pre-black-rock-coalition era.

DJs, butt-rockers, cool dudes, stoners, and Black Rock supporters,
    y'all all need to pick up Another Mother Further, it will cost you
    like, what, 45 cents?

The cutt is "Baby Love" for me.
    This could be Sharon Jones if she had instead decided to go retro
    for the big 1978 beaded-braid, large band and Marshall stack sound.

fellin' it.

My name is Fatback and I will fucking own your little bitch ass record collection 1 day.. (i.e., longstanding inside joke that you do not understand.) Best step the fuck off.

Inside jokes are the refuge of scoundrels, flyweights that can't say what they really mean, and dudes that probably imagine a trumpet fanfare when they step up and proudly announce their screenname. Pfft.

I will step wherever the fuck I want.

• I will step wherever the fuck I want.

Oh really ?

Don't monkey with the buzzsaw, Terrence.

2. Lite rock from the 70's- too much to name! But I'll throw a few titles out there any way- Maria Muldaur "Midnigt At The Oasis", Climax Blues Band "Couldn't Get It Right", Starbuck "Moonlight Feels Right" and the list goes on. Don't let me rock the tables at the record show in May, Tripledub... it's gonna be on like a mug!

Damm Phil, it's like you're taking a stroll thru my private
    mindgarden...a special playlist known as GROWN MARINA.

Have you ever checked out the Atlanta Rhythm Section?

Oh, HELLS YEAH! That "So Into You" joint is on the Soulman aka Literockfromthe70sMan playlist, too! Doobie Bros. "Black Water", of course Carole King "It's Too Late" (although I'm actually kinda feelin' the Carol Burnett version a little more right now), even wack sh*t like England Dan & John Ford Coley "Nights Are Forever"! I LOVE ME SOME LITE ROCK FROM THE 70'S, MANG!

Oh, how the bloody stool will splatter the walls after it hits the fan at this Philly record show in May if they let me on the tables... YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Doobie Bros. "Black Water"

greatest of all time

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

greatest of all time

rumour has it there's a song featuring our very own hogginthefogg and a mighty tasty sample from this track floating around...

• Doobie Bros. "Black Water"

greatest of all time

rumour has it there's a song featuring our very own hogginthefogg and a mighty tasty sample from this track floating around...

Oh, shit! I forgot all about that one.

Although I have been known to rock that funky joint at karaoke (Shig knowz tha deal).

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

dag... they got a dude named William Cooper in this lineup! I gotta check it out.

• Salem Travellers "wade in the water" rough gospel with a hot drummer. weepy sweaty vibe.

Is this on HALO records?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

dag... they got a dude named William Cooper in this lineup! I gotta check it out.

PHILL!!!... don't drink the kool-aide...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    OK, my shit right now is The Grateful Dead's: "Workingman's Dead"

Laugh if you want, fuckers. I used to get a sick feeling when I saw Dead heads in High School & shit. I'm sure I even vowed to never buy a dead record so long as I live, but this record is the shit. Heads know the deal. this record should have all the cred that "sweetheart of the Rodeo", etc has. You can dig on this & still hate tie-die. Fuckin' country music shot full of coke & black-light posters...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Unfortunately, their 132,000 other LP's, cassettes, books, ties, wine vineyards, copycat bands, etc, still all suck.

haha!!!

I still don't have the first one, but what I've heard of it is good. I'm taking this in baby steps...

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    actually a song that kinda moved me was that new ghetto boys track, "i tried" i dunno if thats the title but that shit got me thinkin. Shit gave me goosebumps. I love a track that can do that to u.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Little Buck "little boy blue" (seven B 45) FINALLY found this fucker, and its just as great as i had hoped. this vocal is just so full of feeling, pain, alcohol!

You lucky bastid! Where'd you track this one down? My dirty little secret is that I kind of prefer this take on 'Lover and a Friend' over the Eddie & Inez version. I like the lyrics better and the vocal is intense.

absolutely, i totally prefer it. and now i can make a mix-up version using both!
    an old friend who was visiting texas came thru for me, emailed saying "did you say 'grab anything on seven b' or 'grab anything on seven arts'?", causing an unintended bowel movement. i dont know where he dug it up but $50 later it was mine in the mail. shiny VG, couple dings. but anyway, i cant get enough of this song!

• Donald Lawrence f/ Faith Evans- Say a prayer- I hope this isn't a cry for help but she really brings it on this. The piano work is really beautiful

Annie Lennox- A thousand Beautiful Things- Stops mne from burning my workplace to the ground

Bobby Womack- California Soul- Just really good

Will downing f/ Rachelle Ferrell- Remids me of wifey and why I shouldn't burn my workplace to the ground

Nas f/ Amerie- The rest of my life- dude has finally figured out how to be an artist in a world full of bullshit

Masta Killa- Masta Killa- be water my friend

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Salem Travellers "wade in the water" rough gospel with a hot drummer. weepy sweaty vibe.

Is this on HALO records?

Yes. One-Derful's gospel label. Just about everything from the One-Derful company had HARD drums, and the gospel product was no exception.

• Salem Travellers "wade in the water" rough gospel with a hot drummer. weepy sweaty vibe.

Is this on HALO records?

Yes. One-Derful's gospel label. Just about everything from the One-Derful company had HARD drums, and the gospel product was no exception.
    Thank you sir!