The 1st break/sample/groove you ever dug up

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
The first one for me was the O'Jays "Cry Together" in 1995. This happened around the same time AZ's "Doe Or Die" album dropped (I forgot the name of the song that used that sample). Anyways, I found it in my grandmothers' basement, amongst a pile of soul, jazz and disco records. I dropped the needle on the vinyl and me and my brother proceeded to have our first break related .

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I picked up bob james's "touchdown" for a thift store dollar. the first needledrop was the sample from louis logic's "factotum," which was melting my face around that time.

I found the lp with edwin byrdsong's "rapper dapper zapper" pretty early on too.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    rare earth-i just want to celebrate,im losing you and get ready...outta my dads record stash. around 1992. shit blew my mind. i was really into blacksheep so when i put it all together...

• mahogany was my ish... got the rec when I was about 15-16,

and just about "it" myself

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

That Black Frost joint that 3rd bass used.

• Graham Central Station LP with the drums Paris & Josh had used on "Days of Old"

• i think it was johnny hammond's "higher ground" on kudu, that i found for a buck at some yard sale. still dig that rekkid.

• the drums on get out my life woman. I was given this record by my sister inlaws dad when I got my turntables. The other records he gave me were complete shit for the most part.

Rectent OC Smith "give me time"
    the drums and bass on that track are fucking insane.

• This is the first one I can remember. Dope feeling. I was lost from that moment on.......

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    i'm not going to fake the funk. first break i got was off an emerson, lake and palmer record from goodwill...greatest hits no less.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm pretty sure it was "Mardi Gras."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Ok, seriously though, it was this:

• back in the day when i had an unhealthy obsession with Paul's Boutique, this just brought my music needs to the

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    i'm not going to fake the funk. first break i got was off an emerson, lake and palmer record from goodwill...greatest hits no less.

is that really faking the funk??? "Love Beach" was my first too.

• I was about to flip out on you before I read the bottom part. Seriously, if that was true you'd be my hero. It's like you deciding you'd like to begin lifting weights and showing up looking like Arnold's twin (no movie) within a week.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Took it from my mother's collection

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Long before I even knew what a break was, I used to rewind Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) over and over just to hear that exciting drum part at the beginning.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Funkadelic - The Best of the Early Years, Vol. 1( "I Bet You" Break)
    The J.B.'s - Breakin' Bread ("I Wanna Get Down" Groove)

• awallawall 673 Posts
    in 5th grade i noticed that this

was on this

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

As used by the Biz for Nobody Beats The Biz which use to get played all the time by Bay Area DJs in the mid-90s it seemed. Think they had a U.S. Mail commercial at the same time using this track.

• Herbie Hancock-Headhunters....then like a week later I found it in my moms collection 2

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This may be the greatest album I have ever owned.

First place I heard Cymande, "Scorpio" by Dennis Coffey, "Give Me Your Love" by Barbara Mason, brought back the memory of shit like "Backstabbers" & "Me & Mrs. Jones" from when I was a kid...I got this LP in my late teens, late 80's, and it was the catalyst and checklist for my earliest days of trying to collect soul records.
    Oh, it sounds like shit by the way. But who cares?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

mister magic for sure.