How do you mix with 3 turntables and a mixer?

ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
How do you mix with 3 tables? I am not a DJ but I attempt to mix at my friends house every now and then. I have been listening to mixtapes where they HAD to have 3 tables to do things the way they do them. I was wondering...How is it done? Also can it be done with a 2 channel mixer???

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    you need two mixers, or a three channel mixer

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Are you real?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Are you real?

Ha ha, I didn't even realize dudes use three channel mixers. I always assume it's multi-tracked.

Herm

• you need two mixers, or a three channel mixer

I knew the three channel mixer but I meant like how does it work. How do you scratch with 3 channels? Sorry for the dumb questions just never been around a 3 channel mixer.

Are you real?

No that is why I ask.

• hcrunkhcrunk 116 Posts
    You need a time machine to go back to 1997.

• I knew the three channel mixer but I meant like how does it work. How do you scratch with 3 channels? Sorry for the dumb questions just never been around a 3 channel mixer.

working with xfader AND linefaders would do. or, if the mixer supports different xfader-assignments and you're fast, you could switch between assignments. e.g.

• You need a time machine to go back to 1977.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    maybe he uses the 3rd turntable for sampling ?

3 turntables but only 1 mixer seems odd

unless there's another mixer, then thats different.

• i run with 3 decks, all the time.

my mixer has a crossfader with a swich on either side. If you think of 100% left as A and 100% right as B, switch A can be assigned to turntable/channel 1 or 2 (being the left side of the crossfader), and switch B can be assigned to channel 2 or 3 (being the right side of the crossfader)

Whichever channel isn't being controlled by the crossfader is controlled fully by its volume fader, independant of where the crossfader is.

So if you have TT1 playing an accapella, TT 2 playing an instumental, doesn't matter where switch A is, as long as switch B is set to 3, you can scratch and/or drop the next track.

• i run with 3 decks, all the time.

my mixer has a crossfader with a swich on either side. If you think of 100% left as A and 100% right as B, switch A can be assigned to turntable/channel 1 or 2 (being the left side of the crossfader), and switch B can be assigned to channel 2 or 3 (being the right side of the crossfader)

Whichever channel isn't being controlled by the crossfader is controlled fully by its volume fader, independant of where the crossfader is.

So if you have TT1 playing an accapella, TT 2 playing an instumental, doesn't matter where switch A is, as long as switch B is set to 3, you can scratch and/or drop the next track.

Thanks. Glad someone summed it up good. Is it a 3 channel mixer?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I always assume it's multi-tracked[/b].

Dude, nobody is using 3 tables but bobbydee and Ron G.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    maybe he uses the 3rd turntable for sampling ?

3 turntables but only 1 mixer seems odd

unless there's another mixer, then thats different.

yeah we rock a second mixer.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I always assume it's multi-tracked[/b].

House people stand up - 3 decks is the Tony Humphries trademark!

• I always assume it's multi-tracked[/b].

House people stand up - 3 decks is the Tony Humphries trademark!

Yah the 3 tables in house is quite popular.
    thats why you will see alot of house dj's sporting a 3 channel.
    mixing is simple, use a crossfader in conjunction with up/down faders

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG

• using 3 turntables live would be fun, a rotar mixer would be fun too.

mixtapes are different. tables + multitrack = insane mix
    even 1 table & multitrack would yield great results.

• mixing is simple, use a crossfader in conjunction with up/down faders

Yeah this is the easiest/best way to do it in my book. 3 turntables are generlly used for blends and long beatmatches, so if you do need to scratch, just use the vertical faders.

One club that I dj at has a pioneer 4 channel mixer, and it has an assignment where all th channels are on, and the cross fader doesn't do shit. In this case there are two decks and two cdjs hooked up.

• mixing is simple, use a crossfader in conjunction with up/down faders

Yeah this is the easiest/best way to do it in my book. 3 turntables are generlly used for blends and long beatmatches, so if you do need to scratch, just use the vertical faders.

One club that I dj at has a pioneer 4 channel mixer, and it has an assignment where all th channels are on, and the cross fader doesn't do shit. In this case there are two decks and two cdjs hooked up.

That sounds like hard work! You must be monitoring you levels continuously!

edit

actually, come to think of it, every dj should be doing that in the first place