Killer Hardcore 7"s

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Unfuckwithable NC hardcore/metal xover

I can't normally say this around these parts (cuz everybody is friends with them) but these dudes are MAD overrated IMO

Dude, from 1983-86, these guys were the fucking most amazingly intense band you could ever hope to see.

COC was the first big hardcore show i saw and it scared me. it was amazing and exciting and, yes, scary. the venue is now a latin bar famous for its drag shows. pretty apt, no?

and co-sign on discharge and if i can, i'd like to add nausea as a band you might want to check out.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    punk dudes
    My band played with Happy Go Licky at 9:30 club back around '87 - they were effing amazing. Totally rocking a proto Gang Of Four-type sound before that band had barely bit the dust. Kip from Neon Christ (later of B'Last) was in the audience which delighted me to no end.

A B'Last from the P'Ast, damn! What band is your band? VEGAN AVENGERS[/b]?

The live recordings of HGL are essential. Wailing feedback with Nitzer Ebb playing in the background, and some fucking Learn French recordings. Truth Revealed: I sewed a Peterbilt patch on my mechanic jacket when I accumulated the entire discography.

Speaking of B'Last... (((FUCKIN WITH MY HEAD)))

• COC was one of the first shows i ever went to (sadly, around the time of Technocracy), and not only that, but Marco's old band Days Of opened! I revisited Animosity not long ago, still one of my fave LPs. funny, i was so anti-crossover back then but still leapt around my living room to "intervention." Their first album has its moments too, like the cover of green manalishi. RABID DOG...EATING FLESH

please, no walkers permitted in pit:
    cheifs, stains, big boys, asexuals, meat puppets, raped teenagers, ASF, sado-nation, redd kross, die kruezen, indigesti, terveet kadet, fartz, the mad, untouchables, whipping boy, PHC, SOA, cosmetics, fuckups, dicks, minutemen, purrkurr pilnikk, willful neglect, ribsy, ill repute, white flag, the crowd, antiseen, bad posture, zero boys, circle jerks, vandals, JFA, youth brigade, doggy style, etc. etc. etc.

• BTW, if anybody is REALLY interested in some first-person accounts of the NCHC scene of the 80s, check out my man Walsby's (he of MRR cartoon and 7 SECONDS album cover fame) blogs here:

http://www.myspace.com/walsby????

The "LIKE GOLD DOWN A SEWER" entries are the ones to check, and feature quotes from scene notables like Jon from Superchunk, several COC members, Bob from Honor Role (another AMAZING band of the era) and even yours truly:

MARK WEDDINGTON (Second Coming, Days Of..):?? My band Days Of.. played with Redd Kross at the old Cat's Cradle in '87, and I was really irritated that our singer was wearing a tie-dye shirt. He assured me it was ok, but I wasn't convinced, being the hippie-hater I was and am. However, during our last song, he ripped the shirt off to reveal this message written in magic marker on his chest: "It's 1987 not 1967, motherfuckers." (Redd Kross singer and) 70s-lover Jeff MacDonald later told him, "Cool show, man."

PS - Thanks for the B'last MP3, Bam. Why they just didn't call themselves B'lack Flag I'll never know. Though Woody from COC did used to sport an amazing shirt with the "bars" logo that said B'LAST SABBATH.

• This band killed it, period.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

COC's first LP was the first hardcore record I bought, I believe.
    'Animosity' was and is an amazing LP. Solid throughout.

Did someone mention Happy Go Licky? I have some live cassettes of them, and they are great. Better than the 12" they did on Peterbilt, imo.

Speaking of DC, I remember living there in the summer of '90 and seeing The Nation of Ulysses at DC Space and some house parties. They were simply amazing. And great records to boot.

I also highly recommend Laughing Hyenas - post Negative Approach lead singer continues the heavines with some amazing, from the gut vocals. I played that for a friend in college and she thought I was nuts for listening to it.

• This band killed it, period.

WELL I'LL REMEMBER YOU ALL THING CONSIDERED I DO I DREAMT ABOUT THAT HOUSE LAST NIGHT BLAH BLAH YOUR FUCKING FIRE TRUCKS I'M BACK SLEEPING OR FUCKING OR SOMETHING

the real Moss Icon shit is the unreleased songs that Ebullition did that sound kind of like a jam band. MOTH is so sick

The Nation of Ulysses. They were simply amazing. And great records to boot.

yes.

I also highly recommend Laughing Hyenas - post Negative Approach lead singer continues the heavines with some amazing, from the gut vocals. I played that for a friend in college and she thought I was nuts for listening to it.

co-sign to the max.

oh yea - so Easy Action, the new Brannon record. not a great listen for me. i love negative approach and laughing hyenas, they were fun and dark and fucked-up and creepy and sexy and musically brilliant. Easy Action doesn't sound too fun or exciting and is kinda sorta jock-ish sounding. nahmean?

• underdog
    extra hot sauce
    tales of terror
    7 Seconds
    Rated X

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    underdog

Great band. Saw them at CBGB's with Sick of It All in the late 80's. What was the name of that album they did around then? I quite liked it at the time.

• vanishing point

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    vanishing point
    In my opinion this album was a bit of a drop in form for this band. I am glad that Revelation put out that Demos CD a few years back with all the early stuff on it.

• vanishing point
    In my opinion this album was a bit of a drop in form for this band. I am glad that Revelation put out that Demos CD a few years back with all the early stuff on it.

What was the album name that Inside Out did for Revelation. I always liked Burn and the first Orange 9mm and Quicksand eps.

vanishing point

What was the album name that Inside Out did for Revelation. I always liked Burn and the first Orange 9mm and Quicksand eps.

no spiritual surrender

• And fer good measure:

vanishing point

no spiritual surrender
    I am now going to be humming this song for the rest of the day, whenever I listen to this record or someone mentions it I can't get shot of that chorus for days. You can clearly see Zack from Inside Out singing along in the crowd with Underdog on the cover of that Demos CD. All the early Rev stuff up until that first Into Another record is great.

And fer good measure:

wicked 7 inch - blast from the past!

a friend who i haven't spoken to in a long time put this out.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    post some sound clips plaese

Who's got mp3s of "VA Rocks Your Liver"?

Sorry, no mp3's, I have the record but it has to be in storage at my parents house because I haven't seen it since I moved cities last (about 4 years ago) & dumped heaps of old LPs back in my old room. I'll have a quick look tonite & if it is at my house I'll record some off, otherwise, I'll probably have forgotten by the time I go back to visit family next. Good album, pretty different sound to the American Band record, but that was just the style everyone was going for at that point. I used to think Boner was such a good name for a label, doesn't really make me laugh like it used to though, must be growing up.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Everyone should own a copy of

CRASS - PENIS ENVY

Sorry, no mp3's, I have the record but it has to be in storage at my parents house because I haven't seen it since I moved cities last (about 4 years ago) & dumped heaps of old LPs back in my old room. I'll have a quick look tonite & if it is at my house I'll record some off, otherwise, I'll probably have forgotten by the time I go back to visit family next. Good album, pretty different sound to the American Band record, but that was just the style everyone was going for at that point. I used to think Boner was such a good name for a label, doesn't really make me laugh like it used to though, must be growing up.

Boner funny in the same way nostalgia makes you smile when you see it in someone you don't know.

I first heard "VA Rocks Your Liver" blasting from a VW bug driven by some kid named Andy who had a 2-foot mohawk and terrible prison tattoos. His car ran out of gas, but not battery juice. So we pushed it down the street with the radio blasting. We got to the train tracks, which are on an incline, and I remember thinking when we were pushing it up the crest, "What if a train comes?"

It's the only songs like that which makes you look at an oncoming train and think, "Fuck it."

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I used to hang with these dudes when they came to Boston. Gavin and Chaka are real headz, them and some other NYHC dudes (Raw Deal/Killing Time represent!) were up here every couple of months, playing shows and partying. I played the shit out of that 7", and saw them live around 10 times in 3 different states.

Here's one that doesn't get mentioned much, but is probably my prized HC record of all, one of the only records I ever bought at the all-punk TAANG! record store that used to be in Cambridge, MA. This record fucking rules:

When I bought it in the early 90's I paid $15, which at the time seemed outrageous - but it was the one punk record I "needed" more than any other, already an old "classic" by that point...and the fact that they even just had it in stock blew my mind. When I looked it up now to get an image, I found out from popsike that it sells on the Bay for $275-$500!! Funny I never even looked it up before, I guess because I don't plan on ever selling it...if you haven't heard it, grab the boot or CD, cause it rules.

• I used to hang with these dudes when they came to Boston. Gavin and Chaka are real headz, them and some other NYHC dudes (Raw Deal/Killing Time represent!) were up here every couple of months, playing shows and partying. I played the shit out of that 7", and saw them live around 10 times in 3 different states.

BHC baby. I remember seeing them at The First Cambridge Baptist Church.

How 'bout THESE guys:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

oh yea - so Easy Action, the new Brannon record. not a great listen for me. i love negative approach and laughing hyenas, they were fun and dark and fucked-up and creepy and sexy and musically brilliant. Easy Action doesn't sound too fun or exciting and is kinda sorta jock-ish sounding. nahmean?

i've only heard the single, "friends of rock and roll", the vinyl LP isn't out yet, but i dig it... Easy Action is Brannon's Alice Cooper/MC5/Ted Nugent straightforward Detroit rock n roll band... i dig it, but then again, late 60's, early 70's detroit rock is some of fav music ever... seeing them perform their cover of Roxy Music's "if there is something" is one of the best things i've ever seen it my life...

re: hardcore, people got alot of the good ones, i have a soft spot for all the boston shit, SSD, FU's, Jerry's Kids, DYS...

of course my fav shit is the anti-hardcore hardcore bands, weird negative assholes like Kilslug, Flipper, Post Mortem, Psycho, and No Trend (i NEED their vinyl!!!!)...