Killer Hardcore 7"s

13»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Now that was my straight crew. Kevin was my housemate, and Lloyd and I have been friends since like '87, he was at my crib just a few weeks ago for a birthday party. I was there for the recording of their first 7" with Chuck Valee (RIP), and used to go on the road to shows with them just to wild out and represent. There's a lot I miss about being fully into the HC scene, but I also remember the 30+ dudes who would linger around the scene when I was younger, and thinking how skeezy & lame they seemed - so I guess the time came when I had to "hang up the boots," ya know?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Now that was my straight crew. Kevin was my housemate, and Lloyd and I have been friends since like '87, he was at my crib just a few weeks ago for a birthday party. I was there for the recording of their first 7" with Chuck Valee (RIP), and used to go on the road to shows with them just to wild out and represent. There's a lot I miss about being fully into the HC scene, but I also remember the 30+ dudes who would linger around the scene when I was younger, and thinking how skeezy & lame they seemed - so I guess the time came when I had to "hang up the boots," ya know?

werd... funny how alot of hardcore is a "you had to be there" thing, b/c i could never get into Eye for an Eye, but will still listen to all the shitty hardcore bands from my time like Sam Black Church, Chloe, Tree, and Chinstrap...

at the time, seeing the old dudes, one half of you was always like, "who's the smelly old man?" and the other half was like "hope i'll still be "cool" when i'm older"...
    some of those old boston dudes like Al from Suburban Voice still go to shows and he's a super nice guy, married in the suburbs... i dunno... i remember once talking to my friend Tchaka about dudes into hardcore who are over 30 (he was more talking about the bands) and he said those people have something wrong with them, that by the time you're 30 you should have burned off that anger and settled into life and your place in it, and i kinda agree... hardcore is the music of adolescent anger and if you can't process your anger in a better way (think leonard cohen, john lennon solo records (WHAT WHAT)) by a certain age, you're probably emotionally retarded...

also, hardcore is mad homoerotic, on some ancient greek shit, a buncha shirtless dudes jumping all over each other hollaring about brotherhood (probably why i don't like all the victory records sweatshirt posi-core)... at a certain point you start to get laid regularly and you aren't quite so angry...

funny how many HC kids went into soul/funk... is it the rudeboy thing or what?
    many of the most serious soul collectors i know (SoulOnIce included) have serious HC knowledge...

CHOKE FROM SLAPSHOT ONCE OFFERED ME A FREE HAIRCUT AT VIDAL SASSON

(i said yes...)

• funny how many HC kids went into soul/funk... is it the rudeboy thing or what?
    many of the most serious soul collectors i know (SoulOnIce included) have serious HC knowledge...

I think this is funny too.

I had a conversation with Soulstrut's favorite hand model, serious soul/funk 45 collector and dealer, veteran of many short-lived but excellent punk bands, AND former member of Easy Action about this phenomenon. He explained it best I think by saying most people into hardcore/punk originally (myself included) were looking for something deeper, more original, and more passionate than what the mainstream had to offer from the get go. People's musical tastes just progress.

Didn't one board member reveal himself as being in fastcore godz Spazz?

True story. When I started working at the record store seven years ago I was hired in as the indie rock/punk guy. I listened mainly to punk/indie/hardcore stuff mixed with some hip hop. I hated jazz. I though it was noodley show off music for guys who wore turtlenecks, played chess, and smoked pipes. I got into a convesation with an older customer about jazz and stated my views on it. He put his hand on my shoulder and said seriously "Son, eventually all intelligent people will come around to jazz." A year later I owned probaly 5 HC albums and 2,000 jazz records.

SONIC

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i don't know too much about music technically, but now that i've listened to a lot more soul, when i go back and listen to my favourite hc bands, it seems that, although sped up and broken down, the progressions and arrangements are not unlike soul. even the gnarliest punk band needs a soulful drummer to make it sound good.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    The ratio of text to sound clips in this thread is way out of whack. I'll address that issue now.

post some sound clips plaese

Something that you might dig, recorded live at the 9:30 club in 1987. "Ansol" by Happy Go Licky (the same group who did the cover of "White Lines" I posted yesterday). This band employs my favorite thing in punk. That is, multiple people screaming at once. That shit always gets me.

Their recordings are nearly impossible to find. I got mine from the singer's basement, and have never seen another. Dischord reissued their live recordings on Dischord#109. The song "Torso Butter" is also pretty tough.

no spiritual surrender

I had to resort to Amazon sound clips to determine whether I had heard this band or not, but before I had a chance to listen, I noticed this review that made me laugh out loud -- "This IS Hardcore."

[color:#666666] ONE OF THE GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME, March 16, 2004

Reviewer: HARDCOREFORLIFE [/b](Tampa, Florida) - See all my reviews

I grew up listening to this and it has stayed with me forever. This IS Hardcore. People who don't know what Hardcore is try to figure out if this is metal.... If there were a Hardcore hall of fame this would be one of the first albums and bands put in it. I met Vic, the guitar player, once at a Shelter show in Tampa. I still remember that night and the stage dives as one of the funnest nights I've ever had. If I were to consider getting a tattoo of a band. This would be it. No other band has ever gone down in history off of only one 7" like they did. [/color]

hardcore is mad homoerotic
    I tend to stay away from much of that shirtless gutteral hardcore stuff, as it seems more geared towards the jock-turned-music-buff than the "normal" punk fan. I have several of those records, and have been to my share of tough guy shows, but it always seemed less about the band and more about when was the appropriate time to take your shirt off. I think Rollins summed it up nicely when he said, "That dude in the parking lot who says what the fuck are you looking at to everyone... That's his band."

I've never been too scared by all things homoerotic. But, for balance... some serious wimp-punk and DYKE MAFIA should be noted:

*The Crucifucks - "Hinkley Had A Vision"
    One of my favorite punk songs. I find most people either hate or love this band. Admittedly, dude's voice is pretty grating, but that's why I love him. And their album is filled with interludes of recorded phone calls with the police. The band went around college campuses putting up flyers for their shows, then called the police to complain about the flyers, and recorded the police calling them threatening to shut the show down. That's punk rock.

*Huggy Bear - "Herjazz"
    I doubt this 7" is as popular as the Beastie Boys reference to it. (I try to stay cool, I try to stay calm/ But my life is getting hectic like a smoke bomb/ So I'll say it like the group huggy bear/ There's a boy-grrrl revolution of wich you should be aware) I'm a big supporter of the Dyke Mafia shit. If you're gonna say something, than say it. Otherwise take your shirt off and scream about brotherhood.

funny how many HC kids went into soul/funk... is it the rudeboy thing or what? People's musical tastes just progress.

It's natural to me, as a fan of independent music, to enjoy different genres of independent music, be it hardcore, funk, or furious folk. It never seemed like a good idea (after adolescence) to write off entire genres of music. Faddish culture is American, and it's completely understandable to see people get completely involved in a movement. There's something to be said for balance, however. That is to say, I always wince when I see people dumping all their old favorite records. While it's fair to say I don't listen to punk records as much as I did when I was seventeen, I still hanker for a little fist-pumping, shirtless, brotherhood-type sing-a-long once in a while.

Finally, this song is nothing like Articles of Faith, but meaty said, "Chicago kids destroying shit," so I feel obliged:

(((And the plane becomes a metaphor for my life)))

Who has these mp3s:[/b]

"VA Rocks Your Liver"
    "Richard Hung Himself"
    Anything by Sand In The Face (New Jersey, what?)
    That Steve Albini "solo" song that he did for the guitar compilation album

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

I've always thought this had alot to to with the state of musical suspended animation most hardcore fans tend to live in (and believe me im coming at this from the perspective of an ex SXE punk). Hardcore isnt exactly a genre renowned for musical progress or inovation, instead being more concerned with notions of credibility and musical pureism.

i think that attitude naturally lends itself to things like funk and reggae where again concepts of purity / cred / cannon building are more important than musical diversity.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

rudimentary peni

I just re-bought the Farce 7" after 15 years of not hearing it. Good stuff. I had a dub of a dub of a dub of a Rudimentary Peni record in grade school and there was a song (YELLING: "pesticides no where to hide deadly germs that fall from the sky") I don't remember much about except that I liked it. How far-fetched would it be for me to think you know where this song comes from?

Also: Q: And Children?

Yesterday I saw not one but two completely dopesick couples on the subway.

The first was a younger set, she with some fancy kicks and dark glasses. He, with nod on full, head-to-chest, holding a vacant clutch near a shopping bag full of what looked like dirty underwear, but not actually holding anything (a telltale sign of a junkie if there is one). Their stop came (Hoyt/Schermerhorn) and she jumped up and did the "Baby C'mon" for a good 20 seconds before dude even stirred. He lifted his head up, but couldn't synchronize the eyelids. He just kinda grunted. Ughhhhhh. Trying to get over. Some unlucky bastard took it upon himself to hold the door when he saw they weren't gonna make it. The downtrodden guy finally stood up, reached for his bag, missed, reached again, missed, and his girl finally grabbed the bag in one arm and her man in the other and pulled them both like dead weight. Just before dude deboarded his eyes popped open and he clutched the Good Sam holding the door open. You should have seen the face of the kid holding the door. He had seven flavors of shiver running down his back. "With my poisoned arms around you." And I should add, this was at 10am. Being groped by a dude with slobber on his face and cold sweat all over his hands is not a pleasant feeling, even worse when the sun is shining bright enough to illuminate even the underground.

The second couple I saw on the way home. Much older, and again, he was full-tilt nodded, and she was "reading" a book, although it kept closing on her, reviving her, until she'd find her place, start to read, doze, close, repeat... She was wearing shorts and as much as I tried not to look at her legs it was unavoidable. They were covered in big dark awful spots of a life excessively lived.

When I got home I put on the 6 minute drugged cover of "Pusherman" as a serenade to those four miserable folks. This song, in it's syrup and sickness, dredge and slaver, repitition as a soporific echolocation technique, and, of course, feedback, makes me forget that my favorite butch, Thalia Zedek, isn't yet a member of this band. Listening to this song reminds me of a guy that used to be my friend. Stone junkie. "Two bags, please." I'd go to his house, and if his El Camino had the camper shell it was a good sign that I'd find him on the straight and narrow. However, those times when the El Camino was camper shell-less, and the stereo, amp and speakers were stripped, it was safe to assume I'd find him rooting through his daughter's room (who worked at Wendy's to support his habit) looking for something to sell. Later he got a sleeping dragon tattooed on his arm, partly so the scales of the dragon could cover his tracks, and partly because a sleeping dragon embodies all that is cunning, baffling, and powerful.

He didn't make it.
    Trying to get over.

One for the Dyke Mafia folder: InTheWailhouseBaby

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I liked the Fu's from Boston, DYS, Last Rights (later Slapshot), a good band from the Uk called Default, BGK from Holland, Youth Brigade, Ignition, Gray Matter from DC.....

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    This is my shit:

• Options
    I liked Disciplinary Action (D.A.N.Y) and Yuppicide a lot.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    this is you...LEFT FOR DEAD.

• maswaxmaswax 22 Posts

I think this is funny too.

I had a conversation with Soulstrut's favorite hand model, serious soul/funk 45 collector and dealer, veteran of many short-lived but excellent punk bands, AND former member of Easy Action about this phenomenon. He explained it best I think by saying most people into hardcore/punk originally (myself included) were looking for something deeper, more original, and more passionate than what the mainstream had to offer from the get go. People's musical tastes just progress.

Didn't one board member reveal himself as being in fastcore godz Spazz?

True story. When I started working at the record store seven years ago I was hired in as the indie rock/punk guy. I listened mainly to punk/indie/hardcore stuff mixed with some hip hop. I hated jazz. I though it was noodley show off music for guys who wore turtlenecks, played chess, and smoked pipes. I got into a convesation with an older customer about jazz and stated my views on it. He put his hand on my shoulder and said seriously "Son, eventually all intelligent people will come around to jazz." A year later I owned probaly 5 HC albums and 2,000 jazz records.

SONIC

Thank you! This is also so f*cking true for me too! When i started collecting records, i first started collecting hardcore 7"'ers because that was what i was into during early 90's in chicago. Well, when i would go buy these hardcore records at stores, i would see dudes buying jazz and soul records and i'd say to myself what the f*ck is that all about. so eventually when i would visit stores to pickup the latest hardcore 7" i started to pick up a jazz or soul record here and there. now zoom forward 15yrs and now i own about 6,000 jazz and soul records and only 300 hardcore records. i still listen to my spazz and los crudos 7" ers, but just not as much as other records. Someone mentioned the band "Limpwrist" earlier, and this is the only hardcore band that i still buy records from or check out when they play. They always put on killer hardcore show!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts