Killer Hardcore 7"s

meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Can any of you punk dudes reccomend me some more tunes that sound like this? I'm into it man. Chicago kids destroying shit. http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05D40NU1ZSNYV37UR4M33MEFT4

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Cool, Articles Of Faith, great band, this is later right? 83ish?? Is this off the Wait EP? I think Bob Mould produced?? Do you know much stuff already or are you pretty green on HC?, because I could list you off a bunch of early HC bands that kinda sound like this. The thing with AOF is that they kinda sounded different from most of the other bands that were out there, pretty cool how they used to mix all sorts of sounds together, bit of thrash, bit reggae, bit noisy.

• I would look for bands like Judge, Gorilla Biscuits, D.R.I.(personal fav), Snapcase. Since your in Chicago you've got ton's of resource's at your disposal, there has been a huge scene there as long as I can remember.

• los crudos is newer but killer

• djrdjr 511 Posts

In the early to mid-80s I was heavily into hardcore punk. Wish I still had some of those records....

SSD - Get It Away 12"EP
    Negative Approach - Tied Down LP (brutal, brutal stuff)
    DRI - Dealing With It LP
    Agnostic Front - Victim In Pain LP
    White Cross - What's Going On? LP
    Christ on Parade LP on Pusmort
    Sacrilege LP on Pusmort (great metal-hardcore)

I had an album by Articles of Faith, what the hell was it called?

few more I suddenly recall:

Offenders - I Hate Myself 45
    N.O.T.A. LP + 45s (on Rabid Cat, I think) Oklahoma hardcore!

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Gorilla Biscuits
    Gorilla Biscuits
    Gorilla Biscuits
    yes

• i'm quite a bit more partial to the screamier side of hardcore...that tough guy sxe ny stuff never did it for me...some of the material from the 80's though is definitely worth seeking out

bands i like
    anasarca (hence my name)
    mohinder
    black flag
    charles bronson
    you and i
    tsol
    minor threat
    the execute
    converge
    hated
    and on and on

are you mostly looking for stuff from the 80s with the sound in the clip?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I'm very green on hardcore, only really ever listened to Minor Threat, Black Flag, Misfits, when I was younger. I recentlty scored a primo collection of late 70s early 80s 7"s, so I've been listening to tons of stuff I never heard, and this one stuck out as something I am going to keep rather than throw on Ebay. I actually just put up an original 1st pressing of Minor Threat - Filler EP, which in my limited knowledge of this stuff, I haven't heard anything that is better than that.

I realize Articles of Faith are a bit different from the typical hardcore band, I was just asking if theres any other bands that play around with different styles like this.

Thanks for the tips.

• DRI "Violent Pacification" 7"

Faith/Void split LP

these are two I never tire of.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Cool, Articles Of Faith, great band, this is later right? 83ish??

Yeah, this came out in 83

• i'm quite a bit more partial to the screamier side of hardcore...that tough guy sxe ny stuff never did it for me...some of the material from the 80's though is definitely worth seeking out

bands i like
    anasarca (hence my name)

Oh man Anasarca, that's some shit. Dude from that band chills in DC and sets up good shows. Good graphic designer and occasionally puts out good records. www.planariainc.com

You really need to be checking for NEANDERTHAL

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Rorschach- Needlepack.

• los crudos is newer but killer

Me likes:

Iron Lung
    Charles Bronson
    Born Against
    Dropdead
    The Cursed
    From Ashes Rise
    Infest

makes me drive fast and tense my lips pissed off like.

SONIC

• In the early to mid-80s I was heavily into hardcore punk. Wish I still had some of those records....

SSD - Get It Away 12"EP
    Negative Approach - Tied Down LP (brutal, brutal stuff)
    DRI - Dealing With It LP
    Agnostic Front - Victim In Pain LP
    White Cross - What's Going On? LP
    Christ on Parade LP on Pusmort
    Sacrilege LP on Pusmort (great metal-hardcore)

I had an album by Articles of Faith, what the hell was it called?

few more I suddenly recall:

Offenders - I Hate Myself 45
    N.O.T.A. LP + 45s (on Rabid Cat, I think) Oklahoma hardcore!

This was a pretty good list (above). May I recommend some other items from the same era:

BGK-Jonestown Aloha LP
    JERRY'S KIDS-Is This My World? LP
    RAW POWER-Screams From the Gutter LP
    THE FIX discography LP on Lost & Found
    HUSKER DU-Zen Arcade LP
    TOXIC REASONS-Independence LP
    AGNOSTIC FRONT-Victim in Pain (repeat but it's such a beautiful thing)
    D.O.A.-Hardcore 81 LP
    KORO-700 Club 7"EP
    KRAUT-Adjustment to Society LP

Most of the records above feature some pretty tight playing and top notch songwriting for hardcore.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    i had most of my hardcore records stolen a couple years ago, i can't think of the label right now but they put out a lot of good crust, whatever and i think a year ago or something they stopped putting shit out...

INFEST is up there

other west coast power violence stuff like Man is the Bastard, No Comment, especially is worth listening to.

Husker Du

i'm drawing a huge blank right now and i should know a lot of this shit. When i get home from work i'll look at my mp3s and shit i got left and put some other names up

(there's a great gay hardcore band called "Limp Wrist" and there's a band who do gay covers of other hardcore songs called "Gayrilla Biscuits")

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    good to see Iron Lung mentioned

we bought those guys down to Australia recently to play a few gigs and they stayed at the label's house

those guys put me onto Blue Cheer. yay

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    my sisters hardcore band put out a 7" in 2000...its pretty much legendary, shes had dudes around the world sending her mail asking for copies...

In Loving Memory... was the band. probably more screamo or whatever, i dont know. ive been brought up around this music and know of tons of bands but i dont know shit about them because i never ever got into the stuff.

• I'm kind of shocked someone on the board knows anasarca. I grew up listening to punk and hardcore. Thanks for that link! I was unaware that Planaria was still functioning on any level. What/who is neanderthal? I still love most of the music from that period, but nothing current, has held my attention for very long at all.

ako i'd love to hear your sisters group.....

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    there might actually be mp3s floating around somewhere still, but be careful, i think theres actually one or two bands with the same name...one time i was looking for some of their mp3s on soulseek or something (yes, i ended up finding some...) and ran into some emo band from california with the same name.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

BGK-Jonestown Aloha LP
    RAW POWER-Screams From the Gutter LP

2 fantastic albums, especially that BGK. I recommend these as well.

I was a big fan of UK anarcho-punk as well:

Discharge, Conflict, Crass, Dirt, and many more......

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    punk dudes

(Don't Do It)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Me likes:

From Ashes Rise

me too.

there's also

christ on a crutch

necros

rudimentary peni

youth youth youth

hostile take-over

mdc

poison idea

lion of judah

• What/who is neanderthal?

Neanderthal was a pre-Man is the Bastard group that put out a brutal 7" on Slap a Ham called Fighting Music. Hard to find, but worth hearing if you can.

Other good 7"s from around that era:
    First Angel Hair record on Gravity (lost my mind and moshed alone like a thousand times to this record)
    First Black Dice 7" on Gravity
    Man is the Bastard - Uncivilized Live 7" (containing the classics "Prune Belly" and "Hispanic Small Man Power')
    Palatka/End of the Century Party 7" (for the Palatka side)
    MK Ultra 7" (cover has "I Am a Man" march photos. Contains the song "Bring Me the Head of Tony Victory" and a cover of My Rules)
    Fu Manchu 7" on Slap a Ham. Heaviest and best record they ever did
    Gasp/Noothgrush split 7" so scary
    Gasp - Drome Triler of the Puzzle Zoo People LP. They thank Hawkwind and it's like hardcore+Hawkwind. One of the dudes in this band is named PROFESSOR CANTELOUPE

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What/who is neanderthal?

Neanderthal was a pre-Man is the Bastard group that put out a brutal 7" on Slap a Ham called Fighting Music. Hard to find, but worth hearing if you can.

They also had a split 7" with Rorschach, one of the first Vermiform releases I believe?

I didn't know Fu Manchu had a record on Slap-a-ham, RADD

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    y'all on some next level schitt

• AOF's amazing debut LP - great songwriting with 3-guitar attack

Discharge-style political brutality (bay area stand up)

Unfuckwithable NC hardcore/metal xover

Super-raw German thrash 45

Killer 1983 thrash with very catchy tunes, even a ballad. Re-released around 1989 with a bonus 45 of even better songs (ATL stand up)

Tales of Terror's album on CD Presents is 100% balls-out hardcore drunken acid-dropping skaterock but good luck finding the album (or JPG).

punk dudes

My band played with Happy Go Licky at 9:30 club back around '87 - they were effing amazing. Totally rocking a proto Gang Of Four-type sound before that band had barely bit the dust. Kip from Neon Christ (later of B'Last) was in the audience which delighted me to no end.

• I didn't know Fu Manchu had a record on Slap-a-ham, RADD

It's their first 7" from 1990. It's fucking sick.

Unfuckwithable NC hardcore/metal xover

I can't normally say this around these parts (cuz everybody is friends with them) but these dudes are MAD overrated IMO

You need to burn me some of those others though M*rk

• Unfuckwithable NC hardcore/metal xover

I can't normally say this around these parts (cuz everybody is friends with them) but these dudes are MAD overrated IMO

You need to burn me some of those others though M*rk

Animosity is under appreciated if anything. Pray, Pray for power!

• Unfuckwithable NC hardcore/metal xover

Dude, from 1983-86, these guys were the fucking most amazingly intense band you could ever hope to see. You just missed the boat, what can I say. This album still holds up and is pretty much essential if you have even a passing interest in speedmetal. There's a reason Slayer and Metallica wore COC shirts back in the day. Respect the architects.

Dude, from 1983-86, these guys were the fucking most amazingly intense band you could ever hope to see. You just missed the boat, what can I say.

Yah, I think you had to be there dude.

But to say mid-80s hardcore is 'not my thing' would be an understatement (though Bad Brains, Germs, Black Flag and Slayer are all still MY SCHITT)

EDIT: if I still have this LP I'll revisit, its been many years