Official Weekend Finds Thread October 7-9, 2005 !

124»

Comments

• some weekend digs:

temptations: gettin ready lp
    supremes: right on lp
    hank ballard: spotlight lp ----dont think this is original
    jimmy james: you dont need a chance lp
    linda lewis: fathoms deep lp
    lee dorsey: holy cow! lp
    bootsy collins: stretchin out lp
    john kassandra: true genius lp
    black ivory: baby, wont you change your mind lp
    jimmy mcgriff: black and blues 2lp
    bobby hutcherson: total eclipse lp
    sugarcane harris: sugarcane lp

all in all, i spent way too much on those records. but its was fun and has been educational.

• this actually stretches the concept of "weekend" a bit, since I found a couple of these yesterday (but I didn't have the day off....)

• girgir 329 Posts
    found these saturday...

azymuth - light as a feather
    brian auger's oblivion express - happiness heartaches
    renaissance - scheherazade and other stories
    bob james - three
    lonnie liston smith & the cosmic echoes - visions of a new world
    the jimmy castorbunch - maximum stimulation
    kittyhawk - s/t
    lonnie liston smith & the cosmic echos - expansions (no sleeve)
    the free men - ...climbing up a mountain (sealed)

• Grabbed a few titles over the weekend...................

I am soooo right now.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Anyone know about this LP I found cheap yesterday?
    Sweet electric keys joint that I have been looking for since I learned it existed here on the Strut (but I can find NO references to it now that I found it). Did one of you losers ISH this?

seriously, for 1979/80 this is a complete shocker. Not to mention, from Oscar Peterson[/b] this is a complete shocker.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    This weekend left me with a bunch of argentinian 7" singles, some beat/garage/psych things. Among them, this:

I made mp3s for my own listening pleasure, but since I'm a "giver", here you have this complete single courtesy of yousendit.

"Muchacha (Ojos de papel)" is a (imho) beautiful folky ballad. Title means "Girl (Paper eyes)"

b/w

"Ana no duerme" this is (again imho) a nice little psychy song. Title means "Ana doesn't sleep"

So, thank you. Goodnight.

(JLR has left the building)

Damn! Thanks man, these are sweet!

My weekend finds are not in front of me, but a highlight was:

The Three Sounds - Elegant Soul, trade courtesy of theecasualmale.

And some thrift heat which I will post later.

• Is there any way you can put a slash-line through images?

• Late pass:

• Middle row on the right: Is this as cool as it looks?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Anyone know about this LP I found cheap yesterday?
    Sweet electric keys joint that I have been looking for since I learned it existed here on the Strut (but I can find NO references to it now that I found it). Did one of you losers ISH this?

seriously, for 1979/80 this is a complete shocker. Not to mention, from Oscar Peterson[/b] this is a complete shocker.

I mentioned it in a breaks thread earlier this year. Not sure if you meant that, though. Nice heavy bass drum on that. Rhodes are pretty warm. The keys remind me of Errol Parker or Romano Mussolini's sound (not the playing, just the aural texture of it).

• that's Leon Thomas, "Blues and the Soulful Truth"...Flying Dutchman, 1973.

I like it - A-side's really strong to me, B's got a couple nice tracks ("Shape Your Mind to Die" in particular), but there's a couple blues covers on the B that I don't care for too much. I can post some needledrops if you want to check it out. LT was the vocalist on Pharoh Sanders' "The Creator Has a Master Plan," but his vox here are all pretty straight/soulful...Purdie's on drums, but this record isn't like a break-fest or anything.

Middle row on the right: Is this as cool as it looks?

• Grabbed a few titles over the weekend...................

What's the deal w/ the pressings on that Aura LP? I've had 3 blue copies. All were released on the Hollywood,FL based "Wizard" records. And from what I've seen all the black copies were released on "Chakara" a bay area label. Wizard was a tax scam label so I always assumed they booted it or put it out w/out the rights. I always found it strange that 2 labels on opposite sides on the country released the same record.

Dunno. I found the copy that Supreme is flossing in San Francisco.