Official Weekend Finds Thread October 7-9, 2005 !

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    let me get your T La Rock sleeve. mine is wrecked but the vinyl is mint

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

J**h,

that's my fave Johnny Guitar Watson LP there, 'I Don't Want to be Alone, Stranger'

the track 'strong vibrations' is my song on that...so smooth!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

that's my fave Johnny Guitar Watson LP there, 'I Don't Want to be Alone, Stranger'

if you haven't already, check out his LP before that one (the beginning of Watson's reinvention ) called "Listen". it's also on Fantasy. gotta say that I always liked that one the most.

my finds:
    Don Carlos - Pure Gold on Vista
    Dadawah - Peace & Love on Trojan (i believe this was ras michael under a different name, heavy stuff)
    Sugar Minott - Chant a Psalm 12" on Black Roots
    Matumbi - Seven Seals on Harvest
    Johnny Osbourne & The Sensations - Come Back Darling on Techniques
    V/A - Get Ready, Rock Steady on Studio One
    Jamaica Today: The Seventies on Studio One
    Leroy Smart/Professor Nuts 12" on H.E.T.
    Sowell Radics 12" on Big Youth
    Sly Dunbar - Sly Wicked and Slick on Virgin
    Capital Letters - Headline News on Greensleeves

Willie Bobo - Do What You Want to Do on Sussex
    La Sangre Caliente on Gas (monster latin rock LP)
    Orquesta Hnos. Flores - A Baila la Bala (the most popular Salvadorean group doing The Mule)
    Frederico Ramirez - Satin Latino (amazing latin jazz)
    Royal Jesters - Chevere on Optimum (words cannot express... whipped copy though)
    Fela Kuti & Roy Ayers - Music of Many Colours on Phonodisk (OG nigerian press of this)
    La Tribu - Para Que 45 (cool funky latin rock 45. it has drums on it)

Kenny Barron - Peruvian Blue on Muse
    Grant Green - Street of Dreams on Blue Note
    Brute Force - s/t on Embryo
    Minnie Ripperton - Come to My Garden on GRT
    George Gruntz - St. Peter Power on MPS
    Byron Black - Living Objects (very strange private Avant Rock w/ psych elements)
    Square 9 - Tsunami no. 2 (noise LP w/ Sun City Girls connection)
    Heart - S/T on Look (weird rock LP with one hell of a break- anyone need?)
    The Miller - S/T (private press weird outsider folk w/ some fuzz guitar moments, but overall pretty decent songwriting and a highly interesting listen)

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

total cosign on the yaphet kotto. i saw em a bunch of times in junior college (around 3 years ago)...great live band, i should pick up some of their recorded material.

weekend purchases:

other music - prime numbers (nu-jazz just intonation stuff)

this, which makes me a happy camper

jean christian michel - musique sacree (smooth baroque jazz...i dug his other album of bach tunes on riviera so i picked this up)

and a bunch of soul reissues:

the fabulous counts

the whatnauts - on the rocks

mcdaniels outlaws

la carnival

terry callier what color is love

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    MORE PLAESE FANIES!
    ENTERTAIN ME YOU DIGGERTERDS!
    THANKS!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    [quoteAnybody in the Omaha area should check out the new used record store here on 66th & Maple. PM me if you need details.
    tell me about this place. i wouldnt mind making a 2 hour trip if its decent, if its not, theres always kanesville anyway

• Last weekend:

LPs no more than ??1 each:
    -------
    Ethiopians - Reggae Power (Trojan)
    V/A - Tighten Up Volume 2 (Trojan)
    V/A - Reggae flight 404 (Trojan)
    Byron Lee and the Dragonaires- Reggae blast Off (Trojan)
    Bettye Swann - Make Me Yours (Money) Found this tucked away in a stack of Diana Ross Lps, nm too although not really my kind of thing.
    Andre Crouch and the Disciples - Take Me Back (Light)
    Andre Crouch and the Disciples - Soulfully (Light) Groovin' with Jesus.
    The Dynamic Superiors - S/T (Motown) largely unfunky soul, nice enough... no doubt a dollar joint in the US!
    Margie Joseph - Sweet Surrender (Atlantic) ditto
    Winter Equinox OST (Festival) Read about this LP on SS, almost like a library record, not bad.
    The Black Mikado OST (Transatlantic) some nice moments on this.
    Ozomatli S/T (Elmo)
    Electro 13 (Streetsounds)

45s
    -------
    Lootpack - On Point b/w ?uestions remix (stonesthrow)
    Big Daddy Kane - Wrath of Kane b/w Raw remix (Cold Chillin')
    Pharell - Can I have It like that (startrack) a banger imo.
    Rhianna - Word Love - 4 Hero remix (Sony)
    Ed da OG & the Bulldogs - Be a Father to your child b/w I'm different (Polydor)
    X-Clan - funkin' Lesson (Island)
    Too Short - Short but funky (Jive)
    Eric B. & Rakim - I ain't no joke b/w Eric B. is on the cut (4th & B'Way)
    Curtis Mayfield - Future shock (Curtom)
    Pleasure - Midnight At The Oasis (Fantasy)
    The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (Apple) double 7" with a 24 page booklet, nice to pick this up for 50p, nm too.

• Grant Green - Street of Dreams on Blue Note

^^^i NEEEED this!!^^

my weekend:
    Leon Thomas- Spirits Known... (Flying Dutchman)
    Johnny Hartman- I've Been There (Perception)
    Dexter Gordon- Panther (prestige)
    4th Way- Sun + Moon have come... (Harvest)
    Elvin Jones- On the Mountain (PM)
    Milt Jackson- Olinga (CTI)

45s-
    Dyke + the Blazers- Let a woman...
    Melvin Sparks- Thank You

and some others...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    YO SON THAT JONATHAN AND LEIGH GOT MAD FOLK HEAT ON IT

im glad that there are people out in the world that appreciate this record.

so while some of you are out there and think that whatever people post here is the shit.. some of it isnt. maybe BD and mark like or love this record.. i think its garbage from the a-side to the b-side. there was nothing listenable for me.

thats all i wanted to write...

• What the hell is that below the Outlaw?

G.I. Gurdjieff Improvisations. Shhhh, I'm not really supposed to talk about it in public.

You've already said too much

YO SON THAT JONATHAN AND LEIGH GOT MAD FOLK HEAT ON IT

im glad that there are people out in the world that appreciate this record.

so while some of you are out there and think that whatever people post here is the shit.. some of it isnt. maybe BD and mark like or love this record.. i think its garbage from the a-side to the b-side. there was nothing listenable for me.

thats all i wanted to write...

Right on Jinx, you touched on a good point. This is what makes record collecting so RADD. Some Gospel stuff I would gladly trade away, whereas I find the folk and private burners to be my speed. Different strokes for different folks makes for good trades/sales indeed. That said, someone who wasn't checking for that LP might give it a listen now and get turned on to some nice folk music.

You're definitely right about the finds thread being a mixed bag, but there are some heavy records being found. I also think 1,000+ people like to check out the pretty covers.

cheers,

M

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    my boy kems and i hit a 50,000+ untouched record collection this weekend
    lots of rare hip hop was copped
    hopefully get some pics up soon

• Jinx, what are three really good folk albums iyho?

my boy kems and i hit a 50,000+ untouched record collection this weekend
    lots of rare hip hop was copped
    hopefully get some pics up soon

RADD!

• Last weekend:

-------
    Bettye Swann - Make Me Yours (Money) Found this tucked away in a stack of Diana Ross Lps, nm too although not really my kind of thing.
    The Dynamic Superiors - S/T (Motown) largely unfunky soul, nice enough... no doubt a dollar joint in the US!
    Winter Equinox OST (Festival) Read about this LP on SS, almost like a library record, not bad.
    Ozomatli S/T (Elmo)

45s
    -------
    The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (Apple) double 7" with a 24 page booklet, nice to pick this up for 50p, nm too.

Spinatra, hit me if you want to trade the Bettye Swann - Make me Yours LP

• jeebus dakar where do you live dakar or something ?

• got some really cool 12's and a couple 45's too but too lazy to shoot...

hey dude what is yellow label private press jawn in the blank white sleeve ?

whats iyho?

well im not a big fan of the genre. ive listened to quite a few pieces that were common and rare and im still not a big fan. so when i had that record i tried it out and didnt like it. got rid of it... i think? anyway, i didnt like it and i was giving a different opinion than marks. he geeks out on it... i have other stuff like that so now maybe i can get a trade with him.

hopefully you werent offended or feel bitter about what i wrote. it wasnt a dig at you and im glad you found it here in the bay (i think thats what you wrote?)

• slushslush 691 Posts
    please to send that crispy Montreal back to canada

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    please to send that crispy Montreal to Seattle

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    whats iyho?

In Your Humble Opinion

• whats iyho?

well im not a big fan of the genre. ive listened to quite a few pieces that were common and rare and im still not a big fan. so when i had that record i tried it out and didnt like it. got rid of it... i think? anyway, i didnt like it and i was giving a different opinion than marks. he geeks out on it... i have other stuff like that so now maybe i can get a trade with him.

hopefully you werent offended or feel bitter about what i wrote. it wasnt a dig at you and im glad you found it here in the bay (i think thats what you wrote?)

iyho = in your humble opinion

The reason I asked what folk you did like was because I assumed anyone getting so vehement about something they didn't like would be passionate about the genre in general -- but on the other hand my impression was that you don't know or care about folk music, and that's clearly the case. I ain't mad, doggie, and if you got stuff send it to me; Mark's got too many records already.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Got rained out of the fleas this weekend, but was able to hit some local spots:

Mark's got too many records already.

I VEHEMENTLY AGREE

NOT!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    This weekend left me with a bunch of argentinian 7" singles, some beat/garage/psych things. Among them, this:

I made mp3s for my own listening pleasure, but since I'm a "giver", here you have this complete single courtesy of yousendit.

"Muchacha (Ojos de papel)" is a (imho) beautiful folky ballad. Title means "Girl (Paper eyes)"

b/w

"Ana no duerme" this is (again imho) a nice little psychy song. Title means "Ana doesn't sleep"

So, thank you. Goodnight.

(JLR has left the building)

• Came in on saturday. For the high price of $8.99 shipped. This is the bulk of the things that were in the lot. Other ehh pieces but the highlight for me is the Gangsta Dre - Gang Bangin' Poetry.

• Last weekend:

-------
    Ozomatli S/T (Elmo)

45s
    -------

If you're looking to sell/trade that Bettye Swann I've been looking for it for a bit now. Hit me on PM if you're interested.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Grabbed a few titles over the weekend...................

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Grabbed a few titles over the weekend...................

What's the deal w/ the pressings on that Aura LP? I've had 3 blue copies. All were released on the Hollywood,FL based "Wizard" records. And from what I've seen all the black copies were released on "Chakara" a bay area label. Wizard was a tax scam label so I always assumed they booted it or put it out w/out the rights. I always found it strange that 2 labels on opposite sides on the country released the same record.

What's the deal w/ the pressings on that Aura LP? I've had 3 blue copies. All were released on the Hollywood,FL based "Wizard" records. And from what I've seen all the black copies were released on "Chakara" a bay area label. Wizard was a tax scam label so I always assumed they booted it or put it out w/out the rights. I always found it strange that 2 labels on opposite sides on the country released the same record.

the band was from the bay... people know them out here and most of the members still live in california. no one knows why it was released in FL. sorry but thats all the info i have.